Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH

<< < (143/144) > >>

jakediesel1:
im not affiliated with game and fish but you can go on the website and download 2018 and 2019 full stocking reports for the whole state. on 2019 stocking report it shows that 499 Tiger muskie were introduced at a length of 5.4" and 28,770 largemouth bass at a length 0f .3" in Bass Lake (Lake Cameahwait). Does not mention any grass carp. very informational reports to look at.

akaakira:
So, I just got back from fishing one of the many ponds throughout the state that gets stocked with many diverse species by the Game & Fish. It was unproductive, but a fun, exploratory, "seeing new country" kind of day. However, it made me wonder, for example, when the Game & Fish stocks a pond like Lake McKenzie in Casper, I see a lot of different predators being stocked into a small pond every year, that has limited access from the bank, a fairly small sized body of water, and heavy restrictions on bait fish use. My question is this... is additional forage/bait fish added to the ecosystem to sustain these stockings as well, or do they simply rely on predation of "young of the year" to sustain the habitat...essentially fending for themselves? Thanks

WGFDcasper:

--- Quote from: akaakira on Jan 03, 2021, 06:59 PM ---So, I just got back from fishing one of the many ponds throughout the state that gets stocked with many diverse species by the Game & Fish. It was unproductive, but a fun, exploratory, "seeing new country" kind of day. However, it made me wonder, for example, when the Game & Fish stocks a pond like Lake McKenzie in Casper, I see a lot of different predators being stocked into a small pond every year, that has limited access from the bank, a fairly small sized body of water, and heavy restrictions on bait fish use. My question is this... is additional forage/bait fish added to the ecosystem to sustain these stockings as well, or do they simply rely on predation of "young of the year" to sustain the habitat...essentially fending for themselves? Thanks

--- End quote ---
Every pond is a little different, but with McKenzie, young of year Green Sunfish along with YOY white suckers and carp, provide the forage base for the larger Bass, Crappie and Catfish.  Based on our electrofishing surveys, there is plenty of forage in there, which is why that lake grows 19-inch Largemouth, state record sized sunfish and 10+ pound Channel Cats.

7lazy77:
Looking for some clarification since I am having a hard time finding much.  Where can I go to find the regulations on operating a 4-wheeler/snowmobile on lakes during the winter?  I would like to know what lakes allow motorized atv's on & do you need any kind of permits to operate them on the lakes?  Any help is appreciated.

HunterK:
I know I can use my gas auger on Jackson Lake, but am I allowed to do so in some of the smaller lakes in GTNP?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version