Author Topic: Warm Weather this week, with possible rain  (Read 1851 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
Warm Weather this week, with possible rain
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:00 AM »
How does everything think things will hold up this week with temps 55-60 tomorrow? Idk if the night temps will save us, since we are at or below freezing every night pretty much and then back to normal on Saturday. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Warm Weather this week, with possible rain
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:44 AM »
First time on CT ice yesterday....40 something degrees.  Edges shot by the time I got off.  Warm and wind destroys the ice faster than rain.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:14 AM »
How does everything think things will hold up this week with temps 55-60 tomorrow? Idk if the night temps will save us, since we are at or below freezing every night pretty much and then back to normal on Saturday.

If you read the actual science on lake ice thaw you have first have to look at the average temperature for each day prior to fishing.
You can then calculate what are called "thaw degree days". (I think Iowa put the website link in a recent post).

In plain english: suppose the average temp for the rest of this week was 32 degrees then we would, in theory, stay neutral as far as the ice goes. But if the average for the week was in the upper 40's or higher there should be significant melting.

This does not account for other factors that affect the ice like wind and sunlight penetration.

From the forecasts I've seen I hope to be fishing somewhere this weekend but with extra caution.   :tipup:

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:14 PM »
50 outside today and tomorrow and a possibility of rain Thur or Frid. Im getting my yak ready. I may squeeze in one more ice trip. :'(

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Ugh, I do not like how the weather looks.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 12:46 PM »
How much ice do you guys in the NW have?  Looks to go back to winter after this week up there, we are screwed here in the SE.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:45 PM »
How much ice do you guys in the NW have?  Looks to go back to winter after this week up there, we are screwed here in the SE.

I was on about 9 inches Sunday. I'll be happy if 5 or so inches of that are left by this weekend.

The other question now is what quality ice are we talking about? Hopefully there will still be some "black ice" around, but not sure about that one.

This weather is matching up with what we have had the past two ice seasons, cutting them short for CT.

No es bueno.  :tipup:

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:48 PM »
Ugh that's not good, I was kind of expecting more like a foot, I found anywhere from 5-9 inches of decent ice all the way down here. Might be heading to Maine for the last couple trips of the year.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:55 PM »
The week following the thaw looks promising for you northwesterners though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:04 PM »
The ice up by me Nate will be fine.  I could have drove on the lake I fished in western mass last night.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:53 PM »
The ice up by me Nate will be fine.  I could have drove on the lake I fished in western mass last night.

Thought so, I have a friend in New Marlborough who had 8 inches before the vortex.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Thought so, I have a friend in New Marlborough who had 8 inches before the vortex.

Having some snow cover helps!  Fishing last night was odd...no crappies.  Sunfish, rockbass, a perch and a bow...

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:31 PM »
A bow at night? **censored**? Never caught a trout at night, but then again, never tried, don't really fish for trout in general so what the hell do I know lol but a bow at night does sound weird.  Shiners? Worms? Glow tungsten/spoon? Dynamite?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Vmc tungsten jig, glow.  Spikes.  The usual for crappie.  Bows and browns hit at night but usually not where I am chasing crappie. 

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:48 PM »
One day last year I was catching perch on a brush pile, and all of a sudden a brown? trout came flying on the screen, was a nice surprise.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Nate that is a nice rainbow.  Dark one. 

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Now that I'm looking it up I totally see it, can just see the pink line, and the spots kind of just fade away, really dark compared to any pictures of other ones I can find.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I saw a guy on the ice where I was today in blue jeans and a white T shirt. Funny he didn’t have a jigging rod or tilts; just a coffee. I think he was working on his tan right in the middle of my spread!

-Eric

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:57 PM »
I saw a guy on the ice where I was today in blue jeans and a white T shirt. Funny he didn’t have a jigging rod or tilts; just a coffee. I think he was working on his tan right in the middle of my spread!

-Eric.          Is he the guy you met on grinder?

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Boy the weather was nice today sat out in the ice and enjoyed it

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:05 AM »
This weather sucks!  I wanted to head down south, but was nervous about the ice thickness and water levels.  I'm sure there will be no ice fishing down there after this one! >:(

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:59 AM »
This weather sucks!  I wanted to head down south, but was nervous about the ice thickness and water levels.  I'm sure there will be no ice fishing down there after this one! >:(

I fear you are right the ice in southern ct is melting fast right now anywhere that didn't have snow cover on the ice took a real beating the last 2 days I've watched 9in go to junk ice the last 2 days south of waterbury 60° and sunny today with rain Thursday and Friday might just be the nail in the coffin for the 18/19 ice season for southern ct unfortunately.
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:14 AM »
That pallet didn't work Ed!

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:05 AM »
That pallet didn't work Ed!

Much more melting then anticipated  Sunday. But the shoreline is never great on the housy
Go big or go home

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.