The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best hand ice auger?  (Read 19211 times)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best hand ice auger?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:35 AM »
If you start it straight and maintain the line it should be in good shape right? Or, is it more likely to shift due to the off set handle?

You may have a hard time keeping the drill straight because the Moras turn pretty hard. If you have the older 4" or 5" Moras you would probably be OK. The 6" and larger Moras turn pretty hard. You could give the offset handle a shot I just think they are not best suited for the Mora style augers.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Mora makes an auger that cuts easy????    ::)  Not sure a power head would help those.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Get a Nils and you'll never look back (except to see why your buddies with other augers can't keep up with you).
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2010, 03:43 PM »
if money is not an issue, then get the nils.  a friend of mine has one and its fast.  i personally own a lazer and cant complain.  sure its not AS fast as the nils but its its fast enough and half the price. 

Offline RangerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Listen close you can hear them biting
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2010, 09:51 AM »
So.......... where is the best place to purchuse a Nils.

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:59 PM »

I think they will all be around the same price but I if I were in the market to buy one I would try one of the sponsors of IS first
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2010, 04:50 AM »

The eight in version runs for about 140 bucks at just about any place that sells em.  I shopped around online for free shipping and found it at cabellas but skinny trucker is right.....check with some of the sponsors and see if they can hook you up with one with free shipping.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Edrabax

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love Forever
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2018, 01:12 AM »
Just my two cents...Sorry for bumping...

I've used them all and they've changed quit a bit over the years. My father is still using an Eskimo ice auger like this https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-augers/ from 1980 and this auger is more stoutly built than most. My uncle uses and old Jiffy, probably from the early 80's too. When you look at the augers today, you see much more plastic (cheaper to build and more profit) in the throttle mechanism, engine shroud, some gear case housings, and some of the actual handle frames. Jiffy was using some dogs-breath Tecumseh motors that were breaking down left and right. I went through two Jiffy STX 10" models, both having engine problems. Beware of the Tecumseh powered Jiffys on craigslist; look elsewhere. Tecumseh eventually went out of business (their small engines are trash) and Jiffy went with a new four-stroke motor and dubbed it as "better performance than last years engine". They went with an EZ-connect collar as opposed to an actual bolt which has been problematic.

Eskimo Brand ice augers have so much plastic that it scares me. On a remote ice fishing trip back in 06, our group actually snapped the plastic throttle while cutting holes. The carb actually stuck too. They dubbed the motor as the "z-71". Well gigidy gehawwww nascar WT* kind of idiots are they aiming this ridiculous moniker for a motor towards?? They have this tiny little throttle handle that is just begging to snap on a sub zero day. The throttle has a thin plastic housing that is screwed to the frame with two feeble little screws.......a nightmare waiting to happen.

Strikemaster are undoubtedly the present kings of the auger world. They have nice Swede-engineered cutting blades (amazing geometry). In a recent cutting competition, the strikemaster was the fastest cutting auger. They run Solo German-built small engines. Although their throttle design is mostly plastic, it's in a protected location and the plastic is better designed and more stout than the quirky Eskimo design. They have one four-stroke Robin motor that has had great reviews. If I were to run this motor, i would switch the spark plug to a hotter burning and better starting iridium spark plug equivalent. I would also run a higher octane fuel with some Iso-Heet added to the mix. This combo would allow a quicker warm up and better starting. They are really stuffing four-stroke engines down our throats lately, and we all know they don't start or warm up as easily as a good two-stroke motor.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:08 AM »

I've used them all and they've changed quit a bit over the years. My father is still using an Eskimo ice auger from 1980 and this auger is more stoutly built than most. My uncle uses and old Jiffy, probably from the early 80's too. When you look at the augers today, you see much more plastic (cheaper to build and more profit) in the throttle mechanism, engine shroud, some gear case housings, and some of the actual handle frames. Jiffy was using some dogs-breath Tecumseh motors that were breaking down left and right. I went through two Jiffy STX 10" models, both having engine problems. Beware of the Tecumseh powered Jiffys on craigslist; look elsewhere. Tecumseh eventually went out of business (their small engines are trash) and Jiffy went with a new four-stroke motor and dubbed it as "better performance than last years engine". They went with an EZ-connect collar as opposed to an actual bolt which has been problematic.

Eskimo Brand ice augers have so much plastic that it scares me. On a remote ice fishing trip back in 06, our group actually snapped the plastic throttle while cutting holes. The carb actually stuck too. They dubbed the motor as the "z-71". Well gigidy gehawwww nascar WT* kind of idiots are they aiming this ridiculous moniker for a motor towards?? They have this tiny little throttle handle that is just begging to snap on a sub zero day. The throttle has a thin plastic housing that is screwed to the frame with two feeble little screws.......a nightmare waiting to happen.

Strikemaster are undoubtedly the present kings of the auger world. They have nice Swede-engineered cutting blades (amazing geometry). In a recent cutting competition, the strikemaster was the fastest cutting auger. They run Solo German-built small engines. Although their throttle design is mostly plastic, it's in a protected location and the plastic is better designed and more stout than the quirky Eskimo design. They have one four-stroke Robin motor that has had great reviews. If I were to run this motor, i would switch the spark plug to a hotter burning and better starting iridium spark plug equivalent. I would also run a higher octane fuel with some Iso-Heet added to the mix. This combo would allow a quicker warm up and better starting. They are really stuffing four-stroke engines down our throats lately, and we all know they don't start or warm up as easily as a good two-stroke motor.
i disagree.any of the old jiffys with the Tecumseh engines are solid machines.tecumseh engines were the best  engines for ice augers back then.run forever with a little tuning.guys look for the tecumseh engine ice augers these days..I still have one from 1970 thats still cutting holes today.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:47 AM »
   Model 30's by Jiffy are great outfits if you take care of them.I have one I have ran for 30 years and it still raps up good and starts in the cold.No junk plastic crap to deal with or finicky blades to keep replacing.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:57 AM »

I've used them all and they've changed quit a bit over the years. My father is still using an Eskimo ice auger from 1980 and this auger is more stoutly built than most. My uncle uses and old Jiffy, probably from the early 80's too. When you look at the augers today, you see much more plastic (cheaper to build and more profit) in the throttle mechanism, engine shroud, some gear case housings, and some of the actual handle frames. Jiffy was using some dogs-breath Tecumseh motors that were breaking down left and right. I went through two Jiffy STX 10" models, both having engine problems. Beware of the Tecumseh powered Jiffys on craigslist; look elsewhere. Tecumseh eventually went out of business (their small engines are trash) and Jiffy went with a new four-stroke motor and dubbed it as "better performance than last years engine". They went with an EZ-connect collar as opposed to an actual bolt which has been problematic.

How did you make the jump from hand augers to this rant full of bs about gas augers?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Lol.thats what I thought.misleading bs rant..

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:05 AM »
There is more gas around than in his auger..... ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #43 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:06 AM »
How did you make the jump from hand augers to this rant full of bs about gas augers?

:blink:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:07 AM »
8 year old thread about HAND augers...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:10 AM »
8 year old thread about HAND augers...

A lot has happened in 8 years. The Mora I had then (which indelibly imprinted how difficult it was to make a hole in thick ice by hand) is history.

My Nils and my Nero are order of magnitudes better.

In addition, I fish for trout in the BWCA in northern Minnesota border (meaning THICK ice), and both Gas and Electric augers are illegal. It is either Hand auger or go home.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Lol didn't realize it was 8 years old guess there's no reason to worry about derailing the thread

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:51 AM »

Gunflint don’t forget the old spud 😜

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Gunflint don’t forget the old spud 😜

I still have it and, if I remember correctly, the old guys could do well with it. I never mastered the art of actually making a fishing hole with one.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:35 AM »

Lol I can remember , wish I couldn’t 😃

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.