Author Topic: GoPro HERO+  (Read 683 times)

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
GoPro HERO+
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:15 AM »
When I stick my GoPro HERO+ down the hole it freezes as soon as it enters the water, as soon as I take it out it runs perfect. It blue tooths to my phone so I can watch it in real time. Anyone know why this happens and if there is a way to fix it ? It is waterproof so maybe the water is too cold ?? And info would help.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: GoPro HERO+
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:26 AM »
What exactly is " freezing" ?have used all sorts of Gopros and never had an issue. What kind of housing are you using?
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Freezing? or losing signal via blue tooth?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:45 AM »

Bluetooth doesn't work well through water.

Offline readyforsomeice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:46 AM »
no Bluetooth drops off in a about a foot of water.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:50 AM »
When I stick my GoPro HERO+ down the hole it freezes as soon as it enters the water, as soon as I take it out it runs perfect. It blue tooths to my phone so I can watch it in real time. Anyone know why this happens and if there is a way to fix it ? It is waterproof so maybe the water is too cold ?? And info would help.

Hmmm.....Are you saying that when the camera enters the water you lose the real time view on your phone ?? If so, I wonder if the Bluetooth signal is just being lost when the camera enters the water ?!

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:50 AM »
They work off wifi, and wifi doesn't work under water. You can take cable, like the one that you plug into your tv, and strip about 3" off and tape it to the back of the go pro and strip out the other end and tape it to your phone and it will allow you to still see what your GoPro is seeing underwater. I actually did it this weekend and it works pretty good but is kinda a lot of work to set it all up.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Here is a link that explains how to do it. http://paulillsley.com/GoPro_Underwater_Wi-Fi_Cable_Setup/

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:12 PM »
I used my HERO+ through the ice this weekend, like they said the wifi stops sending the video feed to your phone, but the camera is still recording. I was surprised at how good the quality of the underwater video was!

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:11 PM »
When I used the real time on my phone I was watching my phone as I stuck the camera in the hole. As soon as the camera hit the water my phone screen didn't show any movement, it just had a picture of the side of the hole as soon as the camera went in the water. I have used to camera in open water before but I have never watched the phone in real time while I was underwater with it. I didn't even bother to record because I figured it didn't work. Maybe it still records just doesn't send the signal through my phone well while under water? I'm gonna watch those YouTube videos now, thank you.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:24 PM »
I just filled my sink up with cold water and stuck my camera down about 7 inches and it worked thru real time on my phone. The ice I was fishing on was roughly 6-8 inches and my camera didn't work down in the hole, in fact the camera stopped real time on my phone  before it even got halfway down the hole.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:57 AM »
as stated above the signal will not go through water. The confines of the ice hole and the temperature are most likely to blame for why your signal cut out shallower than your test in your sink, but the low wavelength/high speed of bluetooth and wifi signals does not cut properly through water, same show the high wavelength, low speed of a sonar cuts through water great, but not so good through air. The signals also travel down much better than they do up (that's why wifi routers should ideally be positioned as high as possible), and are better at passing through open air as opposed to solid objects. So in effect, you have 3 strikes against you 1) signal through water 2) signal going up 3) signal going through a 6" thick wall (the ice unless you have your phone directly over the hole, which in itself is a bad idea, but even if you did, the walls of the hole will be echoing signal all over the place and making a mess anyway).

TLDR version - won't work in transmit mode under the ice, only options with it are to do the wire hack posted above or record to review later (it does a fantastic job of this btw).

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:38 AM »
I have a go pro rip off that has a wifi connection to my phone. When I watch the live feed on my phone, the live feed freezes as soon as the camera goes underwater, however, the video continues to record and I can watch it afterwards. The problem is that the wifi signal cannot travel through water. That is probably the same problem with yours. It is not a temperature problem.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:56 AM »
There was a post on here last season of a guy that wired it to work on live feed. May be worth searching thru the links to find it.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:49 AM »
The link is up above in one of my post. The GoPro will work in shallow water like 6". I need another GoPro to record me using my other GoPro underwater with the cable taped to the back. Battery life is pretty short tho in such cold tempatures. And it also works just fine underwater if you press the record button, I feel that's pretty obvious  tho, not sure why someone would think it wouldn't record 🤔.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Here is my video of me ice fishing with the GoPro underwater. I pressed record just before I catch this nice sized perch!!

Offline ToadMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2016, 12:46 PM »

Great link here. I never knew something like this was possible. I've always ran into similar problems with wifi turning off as soon as it hits the water.

How do you guys position the camera?

I was thinking of suspending it on a fishing line or using one of those monopod poles but it just seems risky.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.