Author Topic: snow mobile or at size for mountains  (Read 1078 times)

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
snow mobile or at size for mountains
« on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:23 PM »
What is the minimum size of each that one needs for the mountains? I know that you lose power at higher elevation but I have no idea how much since I don't have either one. I live 6 the Denver area, so it would be for the mountains that I am thinking of. Thanks, Dave

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: snow mobile or atv size for mountains
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Sorry, it should have read atv not at but I still wonder what minimum size for a snow mobile or an atv for the mountains. Thanks, Dave

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
Re: snow mobile or at size for mountains
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:57 PM »
I would say that mostly depends on how deep the snow and or slush you'll be planning on going thru is and also how much weight you're carrying or towing out there. Big hills might make it tough with a smaller machine in either case too. My 600cc mountain sled seems fine at cottonwood pass with a propane auger, fish finder, and limited other gear. My 700cc atv only sees whatever elevation blue mesa is at but works fine there. You'll never regret having too much power available as long as you ride smart but the same is not true about too little. I know it's hard to get excited.about spending more fire a bigger machine but how much more would it suck getting stuck or having to avoid a place you want to go that a weaker machine just won't do. I'm sure others might feel differently but in almost every single hobby I've gotten into I've found buying in low turned into an expensive choice after I wanted more out of what I chose first and had to upgrade later. JMO

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2015, 07:38 AM »
Thanks for your help, now what about new prices vs used prices?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:24 AM »
I'll second DD's advice. Get the most machine you can afford, I've tried the less-expensive toys plan and it never seems to work out. First thing you know you have another, bigger, toy in your stable and have spent more than twice the $ you originally planned on.

As for new vs. used, if it's only about $ there are decent used machines that can be had for a good price. Unfortunately there are many machines that have been beaten to a pulp and it's tough to tell the difference. Especially sleds. Because of that, I generally buy new. I don't want to walk home from timbuktoo in the dead of winter. If I'm the only one who rode the machine I'm as confidant as I can be that it will get me home.

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:47 AM »
I would also agree more with the buy new school of thought but good sleds can be had out there of you look. There is a bunch of sleds listed every day on a FB page called Mountain Sledder Swapmeet. The prices there seem to be a bit better than what I see on Craigslist. Some sleds will have warranty left for a decent price too. A 600 would prob be the best to buy over an 800. They say that the 600s last longer and many times they're bought and ridden by newer, more cautious riders. Unless you plan on riding a lot outside of your fishing trips a 600 will be fine. Keep in mind, I bought my first sled (used) last year just to fish and now I have 3 of them because I enjoy riding them so much. They're addictive and prob the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. Depending on how much she rides this season I may be looking to sell my wife's 2013 Summit SP 146" 600. It'll end the season with prob less than 600 miles even if she rides a bit with me. I've only added braces to the suspension in case you find a rock or stump the hard way, hidden under the snow. I added brackets to carry my auger attached to the tunnel as well. I'm not trying hard to sell this one and it won't help you this season but it might give you ideas and time to get a plan together to avoid wasting money like I have before.

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:56 AM »
I forgot to mention, I would look for something with a 136" or longer length track and a minimum 1.75" tall lug. I also built a box to put things in and on. Maybe this season we can meet up and you can take one of my sleds out on a fishing trip. I don't head north very often but you never can tell where I'll get the itch to go.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2015, 06:42 PM »
For years I ice fished with a 250cc Skidoo Citation. Granby, W-fork, Glendo, Boysen. Many times 2-up dragging 2 sleds full of stuff.  Of course, I drove right up next to the lake.    If you are ONLY going to ice fish it doesn't take much of a machine. 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.