Author Topic: Sled issue  (Read 937 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sled issue
« on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:07 PM »
I just did some work for my stepfather and in return I was given his old sled. It has low miles looks just about new, but hasn't seen snow in several years. He said he started it every winter a couple times to make sure it ran, but today when we got it out of the garage and pulled the start, it came with little resistance (like only the resistance of the spring) it recoiled into the housing normal, but there was no normal resistance and engine didn't start. I have a total of 0 knowledge on engines, let alone sled engines. Any idea what might be issue? Sled is a 1997 Cat 600 EXT triple. The engine looks almost new. Hoping for an easy cheap fix!
Thanks for any help,
Keith

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Re: Sled issue
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:24 PM »
   Sounds like the dogs in the recoil assembly are not engaging...probably just needs cleaning and lite lubrication.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2013, 07:51 AM »
I agree, there are dogs that when you pull the recoil engage onto the flywheel/stator. They are lubricated from the factory and that lube is probably dry or sticky. You should be able to pull off the whole recoil assembly and spray a little lube onto the dogs. And if you want a quick fix, you should be able to whip the recoil a few times real fast, just pull it a foot or so at a time and repeat and it might break the dogs free with centrifugal force.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:45 AM »
The dogs are definitely not engaging do to lack of lubrication or corrosion. Since they work on the centrifugal  force caused by the pulling of the starter rope the fact that they are not engaging is because they are not pivoting freely.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2013, 02:10 PM »
It is a dog problem. Did you pull the cord right off as hard as you would to start it or did you pull a few inches out until you might have felt the dogs engage?

I ask only because last winter I went to start my buddies sled and grabbed the starter handle and yanked it. The dog (starter pawl it is actually called) broke. It is only made of plastic and I guess you are supposed to pull out on the cord a little until you feel the pawl engage then give it the robust yank to start it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.