Author Topic: dunebuggy  (Read 1063 times)

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
dunebuggy
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Have u ever seen anyone use a dunebuggy for fishing?? I want to take mine out but i don't know how they handle on the ice...I have studded my front tires and i have paddle tires for the back but i am considering studding them to or getting chains for them..what are your thoughts on this??
FISH ON

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: dunebuggy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Ive ran paddle tires on atv in snow and ice-worthless! Just flap and spin. Ruin good paddles fast. Could put truck tires with studs or chains though?!

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:29 AM »
I actually ran my 74 Baja Bug the other day. It runs 32inch mud tires on the back and had decent traction as long as I was on the snow covered grassy field and on the throttle. Once on ice, it spun around faster than a stripper on a pole...lol

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:58 AM »
These are my buggies I think i am going to try to find some new chains i have a set already but they are really old.I had them out in the snow and they actually get around pretty good
FISH ON

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Nice looking buggies chfishon.

My bug isn't registered and for the little bit that I do have the free time to drive it on the road it is not worth the registration costs. I wouldn't mind using it on the lakes though since it only weighs a hair under a ton. Pickup truck weighs around 2 ton, so motoring back and forth with the bug would be a little safer as far as weight is concerned. Just not sure if I trailer it, if I could still get busted for no registration if it is only on the ice and not touching the roads.

Matt

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I wouldn't think so but i don't know that is a good question i would probably put a orv sticker on it..But u are not driving it on the road and with it converted over to a baja it is considered a orv ..I am going to do some research on that
FISH ON

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:23 AM »
People that ice race with cars are not required to register those either. Gotta be some loopholes there someplace..lol

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:54 PM »
that would be fun to make a race track around the ice..Can u buy studded tires for a buggie
FISH ON

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:05 PM »
We have several ice race tracks within 30 minute drive of my place. What a lot of the ice racers do in my area is take a set of tires that have at least half tread left, then screw in some machine screws into the lug sections of the tires. Make sure the screws are short enough to not puncture the tire all the way through. Also good to carry a can of that green slime along just in case of a flat and a portable air tank. AND make sure you do the front tire as well otherwise you will not be able to steer. If using that tow bar to haul your rail, make sure you have some non-studded tires for the trip there and back home.

Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.