Author Topic: Bluegill Frying Temperature  (Read 9730 times)

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bluegill Frying Temperature
« on: Jul 17, 2015, 11:26 PM »
Someone help me out with the temperate and time on deep frying bluegill. Lately my bluegill fillets when frying turn on dehydrated. The breading is leathery tough and there's no meat inside? The fillets shrink up and meat shrinks down to nothing? I've had it happen a few times in the past but now it happens often and I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Too hpt? Too cool? Bad oil? Anyone know the cause? Can't find anything online

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bluegill Frying Temperature
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2015, 07:55 AM »
350 and Cook for less time.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Bockster

You could  be overcooking them a bit, but it sounds like you may need fresh new oil.

Go to "Ice Fishing Tips" then to "Hardwater Cuisine"

I posted a step by step recipe that I use for deep Fried perch, which also I use for Gills and most other fish as well.

Fresh Gills sound really good, I may have to head down to the lake.

good luck

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Sounds like bad oil to me too

Catchin' Fish

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2015, 10:25 AM »
My favorite way to cook bluegills and other pannies is just lightly dredge in cornmeal, then fry for a couple of minutes in a frying pan with salt and pepper. The cornmeal is good because it gets crunchy without over-cooking the fish. I don't like to deep fry because if there are leftovers they don't keep well over night. The meat soaks up the oil from the batter and they get soggy. I know this doesn't help with your oil issue, just thought I'd throw another method your way.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2015, 04:13 PM »
sounds like the wrong oil- try peanut oil @350 degree's it is pricey but its the best for frying  fish. Also make sure your not adding to many fillets at 1 time and cooling the oil down. And turn off sports center when frying- espn has ruined more meals than any other channel!!!  ;D
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline hawk56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:55 AM »
I havent been to the site I agree all good comments. I go about 60/40 flour to corn meal. Gets texture and crispy quick. Also if you have too many fish thawed batter and coat and put on wax paper on a cookie sheet and re-freeze. I do a gallon bags worth so when I want fish the dirty work is done.  I try to use them in 2 weeks. Fresh caught is best.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Whatever oil you use, don't use it too many times, as like auto oil, the oil's viscosity breaks down from repeated heating.
When that happens, it can affect the flavor.

Get the oil hot, but not too hot or the fish might burn fast.
Lightly dredge the filets in flour, cornmeal or a mix of both. (the thicker the coating, the more likely it is to break while cooking.)
You could brine your filets before to keep them moister.

Keep an eye on your filets and remove them when they are golden, as the residual heat will cook them a little more after they are removed.
(it's call "carry-over" heat.)

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2015, 11:11 PM »
If it floats in the oil it is done.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2015, 05:38 AM »
i use 1 gallon vegetable oil heated to 355 degrees in a deep pot. i will drop 6-8 fillets at a time and when they float they are done perfectly every time!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2015, 08:17 AM »
360 degrees is perfect for frying. Use an oil with a high smoke point. That means it can take a higher heat before you set off the smoke alarms  :P I usually use regular vegetable oil right off the shelf; corn, safflower or canola all work. Buying that oil on sale makes changing it out easier than if I pay a premium price for peanut or grapeseed. Generally, the more refined your oil is the higher the smoke point.

If you are dusting your fillets it's best to park 'em in the fridge for 15 - 20 minutes before they hit the oil. This allows it to crust up a bit so it stays on the fillet better and doesn't powder off into your oil. Wet batter can go right in.  ;)

If your oil is good and hot your fish should be done in 5 minutes or less depending on thickness. The worst thing you can do is overcook any seafood or fish. Watch the bubbles coming from the fillets as they cook. They need to come out BEFORE there aren't any. That's all moisture coming out and that would mean you overcooked them. Additionally as long as moisture is coming out it minimizes the grease that tries to saturate your fillet. Pulling fillets on time means perfectly cooked fish that is minimally greasy.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2015, 09:45 AM »
DO NOT USE CANOLA OIL!!! its not good for your body and the flavor sucks!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2015, 11:36 AM »
DO NOT USE CANOLA OIL!!! its not good for your body and the flavor sucks!

I'll call the first part of that statement an unsubstantiated personal opinion. This from the "healthiest" of states and one of most liberal educational establishments in the country: Canola Oil Poison....

As for the second part, to each their own. I have never noticed an objectionable flavor from it unless I try to keep it too long or burn something in it. On the the other hand both peanut and to a larger extent olive oils do have unique flavors.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2015, 02:13 PM »
I'll call the first part of that statement an unsubstantiated personal opinion. This from the "healthiest" of states and one of most liberal educational establishments in the country: Canola Oil Poison....

As for the second part, to each their own. I have never noticed an objectionable flavor from it unless I try to keep it too long or burn something in it. On the the other hand both peanut and to a larger extent olive oils do have unique flavors.
and i have read many articles in the past saying that canola oil is the worst on the market. so whos right??? lol i willnt dare and again it tastes like ****

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2015, 03:11 PM »
No disrespect for your opinions, I have mine. It's not just this, but there's so much pseudoscience floating around these days and the internet doesn't help. Misinformation and snake oils of every kind lurk around every corner.

I always consider the source. I wouldn't trust "Dr." Oz, for example,  for reliable information. Despite the "Dr." in front of his name he's been little more than a shill for ineffective and even dangerous supplements and ill advised diet schemes. I just figure if there's a health alarm to be sounded the California crowd is usually at the head of the pack. An article from one of their respected universities that has no vested interest either way in debunking an alarm also swings pretty well with me.

As far as what you've read. I don't know the source(s) so I can't consider the validity of your opinion. It is yours, you're entitled and I'll not disparage you for it but I do disagree.

All I know is I remember in the 70's eggs were evil. They were filled with cholesterol and would kill you. Today it's a pretty good source of low fat protein that is encouraged to be consumed in moderation. Carbs are evil. We got by that. Wheat is evil, we'll get by that. Red meat, ocean fish, fruit, refined sugar or HFCS for that matter, all evil for one reason or another yet I'm still here.  ::)

As far as your taster goes? Well, I can't argue with that. I hate the taste of coconut and it's my wife's' favorite......  ;D

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2015, 01:14 PM »
350 and Cook for less time.
We own a restaurant. My wife makes Gills taste like candy. 350 til you like the color. No cole slaw. No fries. Just Bluegill. Thumbs up!!! Not too many at once, if you are using a small fryer, it will cool the oil.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Do you mind sharing a recipe if it's not too secretive? ;) ;D

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2015, 10:09 AM »
She mixes Drakes Seasoning with beer. Pretty simple. Let me know what you think.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:09 AM »
375 is the best temp for frying fish.  Problem with 350 is it is the lowest frying point so when you add fish to the oil the temps drop below frying siring point and you must then wait for the temps to rise. When this happens the coatings absorb the oils making the fish have a greasy flavor not clean.  Use oils for higher temps like Grape seed or peanut  and stay away from Vegetable or canola's and do not use Olive oil for frying fish. On Gills do not over batter the fish or add too much coatings.  I do mine in a cast iron pan I do not submerge my fish I put in about 3/4" oil heat and lay in enough fish not to over crowd pan. after about 1 min flip cook for about 1 more min and that's it. You are way over cooking the fish perhaps your coatings are too thick too forcing you to over cook fish to get color on coating.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:13 PM »
I agree with a lot of what has been said, and disagree with some of the advice.

I'm no expert, but I have fried thousands of fish fillets over the years.  Most people that eat my fried fish are very impressed, even people who think fish shouldn't taste this good.  It's fairly simple, as long as you follow some of the rules.

The number one item you should have while frying fish is a good, accurate  thermometer.  If you don't use one, you are just guessing.  A lot of posters are saying 350°, but I'll agree with the last poster, 375° is optimum.  When the fish is dropped into the oil, the oil temp will drop.  I've found that if I add 6 or 7 bluegill fillets into the oil, it's about perfect.  I'm frying in a smaller pot, one that holds about 100 ounces when full, so the standard 48 ounce container of oil fills the pot roughly half full, which is perfect.  I fry outside or in my garage, depending on the weather.  I use a 20lb propane tank with a standard burner.  How do you know what is too high of a flame and what is too low?   Only experience will help you with this.  When I turn on the burner, I listen for the sound of the flame, and tweak it from there by watching the thermometer.  When you get the flame just right, your oil will hover around 375° when taking fillets out and putting more back in. 

What oil is best?  I have found that the cheapest oil on the shelf is best.  I don't care if you use the most expensive oil you can buy, it all goes bad sooner or later.  The biggest problem with oil going bad is the type of fish breading that you use.  I love the flavor of Shore Lunch, but you can only get so many batches of fries with it, and it turns the oil to crap.  Magic Fry is another that is very tasty, but your oil just won't last with this breading.  The one breading that I have found to be the best is Andy's Fish Breading, sold at my local Fleet Farm or in the grocery store.  It has become very popular, as the price has gone up recently.  I was buying 5lbs of the stuff for $7, but now it's $11.  Oh well, it's still relatively cheap.  My oldest son's favorite is a beer batter.  I use one cup of flour, one can of beer, one egg, and salt and pepper.  This is very simple, but will taint your oil sooner than later because of the batter drippings going in. 

How long to fry?  I was timing the fry at one point, and found that 2 1/2 to 3 minutes was about right.  Some people like a little crispier fish, so a little longer in the pot.  As someone had previously said, look at the color of the fillet, or wait til they float.  The main thing is, don't add twelve fillets to the pot because they fit, add the amount where the oil temp will still hold at the magic number of 375°. 

So, main things to concentrate on:  Temperature of oil, and time in.  Batters matter as far as how much fish you can cook with each one. 

For the record, I just bought a ThermoWorks Chef Alarm thermometer, and use it for smoking fish and frying fish, works great.  Now, go fry 'em up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.