Author Topic: from indiana and looking for south dakota perch  (Read 1738 times)

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
from indiana and looking for south dakota perch
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I know from being out of area some people are reluctant to share info.  My wife and I want to go to SD perch fishing, walleye would be a plus.  We want to stay four days we camp, and will sleep in a tent on the ice.  long way to go on most likely bad roads so would like to be productive.  we are planning on going in Feb so ice should be good.  looking primarily for south eastern sd for us.  any information would be appreciated.  have been planning trip for three years.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: from indiana and looking for south dakota perch
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:40 AM »
For perch and walleye, you're probably better off looking a little further north in the Northeatern part of the state.  Lakes like Waubay, Bitter, Thompson, Dry Lake #2 are good places to start, as well as the NUMEROUS lakes around them.  Most contain fat, healthy perch, walleye, and pike.
I live 2-3 hours from most of those lakes, so really I'm in no different position than you will be when visiting those areas for fishing.  I have to spend time finding them each trip, just like you will have to.  It usually takes a day or two of perch searching before you get into decent schools and good bites.  Though sometimes you luck out and get on them soon, it also can work the other way and you never do find them.  I always go up there prepared to drill LOTS of holes, and move LOTS in order to find perch.  In winter, they're typically not relating much to strucure, and are found over open lake basins, making them difficult to find sometimes.  Go into it with realistic expectations.
The biggest thing that concerns me about your post though, is "tent camping four days on the ice, in February".  Sometimes we luck out and have decent weather in February, but that's NOT typically the case.  You could also expect to see -10 temperatures with 20-30mph winds.  In fact, it's fairly common in February to see some -30 to -40 windchills. 
I've been on the ice in winter storms, and could not see 5 yards in front of the vehicle because of blowing snow. 
Consider yourself warned  ;)

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:03 AM »
For perch and walleye, you're probably better off looking a little further north in the Northeatern part of the state.  Lakes like Waubay, Bitter, Thompson, Dry Lake #2 are good places to start, as well as the NUMEROUS lakes around them.  Most contain fat, healthy perch, walleye, and pike.
I live 2-3 hours from most of those lakes, so really I'm in no different position than you will be when visiting those areas for fishing.  I have to spend time finding them each trip, just like you will have to.  It usually takes a day or two of perch searching before you get into decent schools and good bites.  Though sometimes you luck out and get on them soon, it also can work the other way and you never do find them.  I always go up there prepared to drill LOTS of holes, and move LOTS in order to find perch.  In winter, they're typically not relating much to strucure, and are found over open lake basins, making them difficult to find sometimes.  Go into it with realistic expectations.
The biggest thing that concerns me about your post though, is "tent camping four days on the ice, in February".  Sometimes we luck out and have decent weather in February, but that's NOT typically the case.  You could also expect to see -10 temperatures with 20-30mph winds.  In fact, it's fairly common in February to see some -30 to -40 windchills. 
I've been on the ice in winter storms, and could not see 5 yards in front of the vehicle because of blowing snow. 
Consider yourself warned  ;)

VERY TRUE!!!!

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2014, 10:53 AM »
Camo is dead on with the warning.  The weather can turn quickly out here and seems wind is always blowing, safety first, fishing second. Along with the cold temps and possible blizzard, we get slush that you may need to deal with and could make travel limited or impossible depending on where you end up.    If you have planned and prepared for 3 years and want to be as productive as possible.  I would suggest atleast your first day you have a guide take you out and put you on some fish.  It would be the same if I travel to your neck of the woods.  You will significantly increase your chance of locating and catching some fish in the shortest amount of time possible and from then on you can do your thing with a little bit of a headstart.   NE SD is where you want to focus..We have fish in the SE portion of the state but most that want a little better and consistant fishing travel up there as Camo stated.   Good luck and I hope you have a good base layer :)

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Get a hold of Ryan at Dakota Back Roads... guide service is top notch and you could also rent a sleeper from them for a decent price.

Offline MapnSD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you wonder whats under all that ice?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2014, 04:03 PM »
MDeppe
Here are the surveys. You may want to look them over and choose your lake or area to fish, then go from there.
http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/tacklebox/lake-surveys/default.aspx
Mike

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies.  I understand the weather can be treacherous and unpredictable.  We take with us two 40# propane bottles a heater and a 40below sleeping bag we hit 10 below last year in Wisconsin it was chilly outside the tent and holes froze fast but it was a great time.  I am lucky my wife loves it more than I do and only complains about her toes being cold.  I will hire a guide.  That is great advise.  I am glad there are guides in the area. I will check on the weather before I go but know that weathermen just give there best guess thank you very much and I wish you all good fishing.

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Not sure where you're located at but as far as the Southeast part of the state you're only going to find gills and crappie around here. Some walleye if you venture to the Pickstown area on the river. As far as staying in a tent... Good luck. If you're willing to hire a guide I'd seriously consider renting a sleeper shack up north. We did that last year and was glad we did when a blizzard rolled in. Granted this was the middle of Jan. when we were up there but there's still some pretty serious weather in Feb. Sportsman's Cove is pretty good at letting you know where they are biting if you stop in and ask them. Good luck and have fun! Love the Northeastern part of the state for ice fishing. You won't find anything better here.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:14 PM »
You'll have a pretty good idea what the weather will be like if you check the forecast within 5-6 days before you arrive here, at least temperature wise. 

A guy can be pretty comfortable at even 20 to 30 below if the wind is calm. (I lived in Alaska for 3 years, and saw -50 to -60 temperatures).  But unfortunately, we don't see calm winds too often in South Dakota. 

Making it through 10 below in Wisconsin last year is one thing, but 10 below with a 30-40mph wind is an entirely different ballgame.  I pray the winds are calm when you visit, otherwise you'll have a rude awakening.  It is no joke.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:48 PM »
If I recall correctly, wasn't there at least three days last season with no wind?  ;D

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline upnorth2011

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2014, 10:27 PM »
81 ponds, thompson lake, brush lake and surrounding lakes are all decent spots

Offline Bradyv7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Webster area would be your best bet!  Lots of lakes and lots of fish and you can get good info from sportsmans cove!

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Thanks again have a great Thanksgiving.

Offline sd5.0.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Webster area would be your best bet!  Lots of lakes and lots of fish and you can get good info from sportsmans cove!

X2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.