Author Topic: Crappies thru the ice ????  (Read 15148 times)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
Re: Crappies thru the ice ????
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2003, 07:17 PM »
Here in the finger lakes the crappie bight is usually about 5 feet under the ice or higher.  Even in deep water.  Depth and structure (other than weeds) seem to be of little relevance.  You never know where you are going to find them and when you do they are usually up high.
Rob Taylor

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:Crappies thru the ice ????
« Reply #31 on: Jun 01, 2003, 10:18 PM »
 Thank you guys again for all your help with the crappies , your input and suggestions have been more than helpfull to me....this is a great website and it has a great bunch of guys , with some first rate suggestions .....THANKS YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2003, 10:11 AM »
go 1 hr before sunset, use glow in the dark teardrops, with a small lively minnow.  belly hook on 1 line, and hook the other thru behind dorsal fin.  start on bottom, slowly raise offering, just as sun is setting light ya lantern on the ice, and set 1 pole at 1 ft below the ice, making sure the minnow is alive and wiggling, move around alot, try staying near dropoffs and just experiment with depths, always keep 1 rod 1 ft below surface of the ice with youre lantern near.  jig and reel the other
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Blackbassfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:30 PM »
Crappies are fun to find. A tip that I learned a few years ago is that crappies suspend off of structure.  Crappies will move off a point or hump and will suspend over deeper water at the same depth as the structure. If you have a lake that is 25feet and a rock pile or hump that comes up about 15 feet, the crappies will suspend off the rock pile at the same depth as the hump. Although crappies will make runs on the point for food, most of their time is spent in suspension. Hope this helps.  

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Can not wait to give all this good info a try as soon as we get first ice here in ohio , a friend of mine was fishing pymatuning three weeks ago and was catching slab crappies and perch in four feet of water , would it be safe to assume they will be hanging out there at first ice also ??
thanks
fish on

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2003, 09:00 PM »
Better move out to 8 to 12 feet and start there.

Offline joekrz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CONSCIOUSNESS: The annoying time between fishing
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2003, 06:41 PM »
I have been fishing some small inland lakes here in Wisconsin for crappies for a while.  This is what I have found that consistently works for me.  It may vary for others:

1.) Get a vexilar or other similar flasher - makes things easier
2.) Find water depths around 20-25 ft.
3.) Most of the crappies I find are suspended between 14 & 20 feet
4.) Always put the jig about a foot above the fish, they will come up for it.
5.) Use a slip bobber righ with a tear drop jig.  Color hasn't seemed to matter.
6.) I always use crappy minnows.  It keeps the smaller crappies and blue gills away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.