Author Topic: Crappies thru the ice ????  (Read 15152 times)

Fish On

Crappies thru the ice ????
« on: Dec 15, 2002, 04:24 PM »
I am just getting into crappie fishing thru the ice this year and i am have a ROUGH TIME , i am fishing pymatuming lake in andover , ohio  . i did good there in the spring during the spawn , after the spawn was over i guess they left and went to deeper water as it warmed up , my question to you guys is where should i fish for them in the winter thru the ice ..shallow or deep water or shallow water with structure ???? any certian jigs i should buy or just use a minnow and a bobber ???? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance to all

joe

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
Re: Crappies thru the ice ????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2002, 04:47 AM »
Fish On, Is the ice good on pymie? I was fishing Arthur last night and the bite was tough. I pulled four crappies out and lost one at the hole. I was using maggots, on a glow demon, waxworms on a forage minnow, and I used maggots on a gold genz worm.  I had hits on a jigging rapala with a minnow head. I also caught 6 bluegills. all fish were released but, that is not going to last long I am getting hungry for some panfish. Good luck and be safe.  

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2002, 05:48 AM »
One thing you have to remember with crappies is that they feed up. You usually have to have the bait and lure above them. Electronics help a lot with crappies due to the fact that they do not always key into the bottom. Crappies are often suspended so you need to find the depth they are at and put the bait over their nose. I love the demon for crappies. Tip it with waxies, eurolarvae, or minnows.

In Minnesota we can use two lines through the ice. I run one stick with a demon and a minnow below a bobber and one jig with waxies on a jigging stick.

wisconsinboy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2002, 07:17 AM »
what has always worked good for me for crappies. go out about 3 hours before dark and then fish until after dark for a few hour. i would look for some of the deepest water that you can find. i fish in about 23-25 ft. i use a plain wide gap hood witha minnow. then i have a slip float on my line. well good luck next time you go out.

Offline eelpout

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2002, 03:49 AM »
Black crappies are one of my favorite fish to catch. I  sometimes catch them while bluegill fishing on the edge of weedbeds in 6-10 feet of water just using jigs and waxworms. The last couple of years though, I've been finding crappies suspended about 5-7 feet off the bottom in 20-25 ft of water. I usually find this in smaller inland lakes with a maximum depth of around 40 ft, and the water is darker or stained in color. I don't know why these fish are hanging out in deeper water, or what they are feeding on, but when I find them on the locator, I put down a small minnow or rosy red and a jig and can usually put a few of them on the ice. I can usually catch them any time of the day, but have had my best luck  
in the morning. This may be due in part that I am fishing stained water. Clear water may mean a better crappie bite after or near dark Good luck!  :)

Fish On

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2002, 03:56 AM »
BoB G .
Saw some guys fishing out on pyma. a few weeks ago , they were on the south side saw about 6 or 7 guys out there as i went across the causeway , now that temps have come up , im sure the ice is once again UNSAFE !!!!!!!! . but we are suppose to get some real cold temp again soon .   thanks guys for all your help !!!!!!!!!
what water temp do the crappies usally start heading to the bays  in the spring ...any temp or time to start looking for them ????????
later joe

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2002, 07:14 AM »
Fishon, If you are interested in the spring bite? the crappies will start heading to staging areas as soon as the ice is gone. When the water temps get around 50 degrees they start moving into the shallow areas where they will spawn and the spawning will start around 60degrees.

Fish On

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2002, 05:22 PM »
Bob g
thanks for the info on the water temp  i really appreciate it !!!!
do you fish pyamatuning lake at all for crappies ???
later
joe

Dan Ament

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2002, 12:42 PM »
When fishing for crappies you need to have a vexilar. If you don't you will have trouble finding the crappies. I live and fish in Minnesota and fish for crappies in 35-45ft of water, but I only find them down about 25ft. The best crappie times are early in the morning and 1 hour after sunset. I catch the majority of my fish in the evening. I use either a small white flu-flu under a bobber tipped with 2 waxworms. Or a small 1/2 ounce sweedish pimple with a minnow head. I fish waters that have 17 inch fish. My family and I have caught 15.5 inches and have a 16.8 incher on the wall. Hope this tip will help you pull more slabs through the ice.

Fish On

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2002, 01:07 PM »
thanks for all the great info dan really appreciate it
later
joe

3RivAnglr

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2002, 03:32 AM »
   I've got to agree with Dan ,except u don't have to have a Vexilar, but u do need a quality fishfinder. I was on Weilhelm last Fri. with my X-49 and I was seeing the same fish the guy beside me was he had a Vexilar. He outfished me but the fish were on waxworms and I was using minnows. Dans also rite about suspending fish .I was sitting in 22' of water and the fish were coming thru anywhere between 8' and 22'. When u marked a fish u had to put your jig rite in front of them to even have a chance which means moving your jig up and down constantly keeping it in the fish.  
                          Good Luck  Jim C.

crappie_hunter

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2002, 06:08 AM »
my favorite jig for crappies is the rat finkee by custom jigs and spins

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2002, 04:10 PM »
I ussually use a small glow jog tips with 1-4 spikes and ill slam crappies all day long. In NY I fish crappies in 3-12 ft of water.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2002, 03:01 PM »
in smaller ponds or lakes, crappies usually hold on a drop off that connects a shallow flat, with the deep basin of the pond.  the will often suspend.  On bigger, deeper lakes, i look for crappies on the deepest edge of large shallow flats.

mngonefishing

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2002, 05:23 PM »
Electronics, and a lake map. when i look at a lake map i look for a sunken island. then i will look through the ice by pouring 1/2 cup of water on the ice and turning on the fl 8. when you find them drill some holes and have fun.

Hunter Chaffee

« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2002, 04:55 PM »
The past few winters i have been fishing a small deep natural lake named Lake Pleasant in Northwest PA that is stocked with trout but also is repported to have some slab crappies and I have also caught some real nice bluegills there in the spring. The trouble seems to be is that once the ice is safe to fish, I can never seem to find any crappies or the nice bluegills that I catch in the spring. The maximum depth is about 40ft, it has slightly stained water, its like a basic dishpan shape, and has weed lines at about 8-15ft. Any ideas were these elusive slabs and bulls may be roaming would be appreciated.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2002, 03:42 AM »
well, those big gills and slab crappies are most likely suspended, and probably scattered too.  First, i would try to find any kind of point, or structure near the weedline.  From there, i would work the whole area, with small jigs tipped with minnows.  If you dont have a fish finder, it will be very difficult to determine if the fish are suspended or not.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2002, 08:49 PM »
Crappies are ussually suspended and stack up during the winter but not all crappies will do this. IF u get over a school of nice slabs u could have the chance to catch crappie all day long out of a few holes close by. Most of the times crappies are suspended on drop offs, brush and other debri. Finding them and tricking them to bite is the only way once u have accomplished this youll be pulling them in left and right.
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Hunter Chaffee

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2002, 07:42 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I bought a Vexilar FL-8 a few years ago and I have never wanted to fish without it since.  Some guys just started to head out on Lake Pleasant a few days ago, but with the warm weather I might have to wait awhile before trying it.  Hopefully I'll find a few crappies to make the trip worthwhile, but if not I guess I'll try to catch a few trout instead.

Fish On

« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2003, 03:35 AM »
I just wanted to say THANK YOU all for helping me out i really appreciate it alot this is a great site!!!!!!!!!

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2003, 04:52 PM »
HELLO EVERYONE, I USUALLY GET MOST OF MY CRAPPIES NEAR BRUSH PILES AND STUMPS.  THEY WILL STACK UP THERE AND THEY WILL FEED MOST OF THE DAY.  ANY NORMAL BAIT WILL PRODUCE, BUT WHITE OR YELLOW JIGS WORK BEST FOR ME.  GOOD LUCK FISHING

Dragonfish

« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2003, 08:00 AM »
I fish lake Onalaska in WI.  Does anybody know any good spots?  What are they hitting on?

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:41 PM »
do black and white crappies taste the same

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:48 PM »
I think so.  they eat the same thing and are related.  Atleast I have not noticed any difference.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2003, 03:38 PM »
i noticed a little difference in black and white crappies tastes but maybe thats just me
Loose Lips Sink Ships

fishondwan

« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2003, 05:27 PM »
Hey fish on, I fish a clear water lake here in sw Michigan and have great success on crappies. Other lakes may be differnt but on this lake I don't even bother going out until a half hour before dark , thats when the vex starts to light up !!! We fish the base of a steep drop located in a back bay, fishing in 30 fow(drops from 8' to 30' sharp then gradually to 35 or 36) catching fish from 6' to 15' down. Demon glow jigs with a #14 treble attached and shinners or fat heads under a slip bobber (a shanty is a must for the slip bobber if it's below 32)If you mark fish that come up to your bait but won't bite, pull your bait up 6'' to 1', that usually gets em!! Cloudy nights out produce clear nights 5 to 1. Don't forget the treble hooks or you will lose a lot of papermouths. Good luck!!

Offline savedsinah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2003, 05:41 PM »
Hi guys,
    I can't help but notice that nobody seems to use a tip I was given by an old timer ages ago.
It sounds kind of weird but it has never failed me.
Once you have caught a crappy or perch you put one of it's eyeballs on a single hook swedish pimple or any similar shiny jig. It seems to really get there attention every time.
This may sound kind of gruesome but you should keep all the eyeballs of all your "keepers". store them in the freezer in a small tupperware container as you get them, or as you clean them. I know it may sound strange but try it next time you're out. Let me know how it goes.
Of course you still have to find them first. I suggest a good bathymetric map so you can find the drop offs and sluices before you go stumbling aroud blindly. Know the lake before you fish it.
May God bless you and keep you. In Christ, Neil ;)  

Offline perchnfool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2003, 06:34 PM »
Hi guys, I here some of you guys talking about the glow demons jigs who makes those and where can you buy them  ???  also does anybody use those crappie nibblers from powerbait   thanks n advance   Chuck

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2003, 05:07 PM »
perch eyes work great in bigger bodies of water havent had any luck is small bodies though
Loose Lips Sink Ships

bussman

« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2003, 09:24 AM »
I use the crappie powerbait and it works great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.