The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Auger Blade Sharpening  (Read 1602 times)

Offline mnifn_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger Blade Sharpening
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:43 AM »
I need to get my 8in lazer blades sharpened, first time sharpening only one year use. (This is my second year on the ice) They aren't in terrible shape by any means, no nicks just some light burrs and no longer factory sharp. I pretty much used it and put it away I never really used the hand sharpener or oiled the blades or anything, maybe I will this year. In all I don't know where i should take them. I called the nearest knife and saw sharpening place to me and they charge $10.25 each, I thought that was a bit expensive.

I live in the south suburbs and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to something local, or a mail in service that is trustworthy with a quick turnaround I plan on being on the ice this weekend.

Also if anyone has any tips about home sharpening if its economical I might do that. The issue with that is I own nothing for the process, so I would have to buy/make everything, good thing though is both augers I own are not serrated so sharpening them by hand doesn't sound to hard to me but idk. I would like to sharpen an old 6in mora style with dull blades but with my budget and the cost to do that locally isn't the best decision, I don't Need two hand augers I don't NEED a lot of things lol

Thanks sorry for the long winded question,
TL;DR
Asking about blade sharpening services or tips on doing it on my own.

Offline Nordern

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Auger Blade Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Strike Master has a sharpener.  I have not used it but have seen them used and seemed to work.

https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Master-Augers-Deluxe-Sharpener/dp/B0010G3C80

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:53 PM »
That's what I've been using for years.

Offline mnifn_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:35 PM »
yeah i got one of those but i seam to have let it go too far, i used it a bit but it didn't really help the burs on it. If i was smart i would have used it every time after i got off the ice but i didn't. I thought the ice on the lakes i go to were relatively clean but there must have been sand or something in the icve cause when i run my finger over the blade it feel the burs. no chips or anything and it feels to be half as efficient as a new blade seams to be

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:11 AM »
yeah i got one of those but i seam to have let it go too far, i used it a bit but it didn't really help the burs on it. If i was smart i would have used it every time after i got off the ice but i didn't. I thought the ice on the lakes i go to were relatively clean but there must have been sand or something in the icve cause when i run my finger over the blade it feel the burs. no chips or anything and it feels to be half as efficient as a new blade seams to be

If still looking, I have sent mine here in the past, did a great job.
https://www.redrockstore.com/ice-auger-blade-sharpening-service/ice-auger-blade-sharpening

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:36 PM »
if your still looking folks in Wyoming do a fine job!!

AUGER/BLADE REPAIR/SHARPENING
Kinkyline--307-253-8818 (Casper)
Glen Hitson--307-682-1694 (Gillette)
Marvin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.