Author Topic: ATV on Cascade?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
ATV on Cascade?
« on: Sep 14, 2018, 12:11 AM »
My wonderful bride reserved a cabin at the Tamarack Resort from January 18-22 next year for my birthday present because she knows icefishing Cascade is No. 1 on my bucket list right now.  I've read all the threads here on Ice Shanty I can find as well as other sites.  It looks like our cabin is pretty close to the Poison Creek Campground and boat ramp, which seems to be a popular starting point.  From there, I'm not afraid to strike out to find and catch some of these monster perch I keep seeing pictures of.

I do have one question, though.  I use a four wheeler for icefishing here in eastern Montana and am wondering if I'll be able to get around the lake on it or if I need to line up a sled.  Any input would be appreciated.

Any other tips on local eateries, breweries, etc. that we should check out to make the trip better would also be appreciated.  It will me, my wife, and our 8 year old son (who will actually turn 9 while we're there).

Thanks in advance!

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV on Cascade?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I've only been once and that was last year. I'd say a wheeler would be fine as long as the snow isn't to deep. Poison is where we launched from and it was perfect. Big lot easy on/off. We did meet a couple guys that walked out and were doing fine albeit they had been there quite a few times. I think there is one winter guide up there and he has sleds may not be a bad idea to let him show you a trick or 2 the first day. I have read he's a GREAT guy! Keep us posted!!
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline Dakota-Wildcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2018, 08:43 AM »
It really is dependent on weather and snow fall.  Last year a 4wheeler was the ticket nearly the whole season.  The previous two years was snowmobiles only sense there was 15" plus on the ice.  I'd plan on the wheeler but be ready to pull the trigger on a snowmobile rental.  Hopefully you'll have a good idea on conditions from this forum a couple weeks before the trip. 

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:43 AM »
You are on the back side of the lake out of Donnelly. 4 Wheeler will probably be good. Mccall is just down the road and has several Snowmobile rental places if you need one. Usually slush is the problem. Grandma's in Cascade, The Mill Supper Club, the mini Brewery, Mexican, and Pizza in Mccall. Gravity Sports, and Cheap Thrills for rentals and Tackle Toms for local info. Good luck.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2018, 10:34 AM »
No one can know if you will be able to use your 4 wheeler . It's Idaho . When we went last time there was 16" of snow on top of 8" of water . Our snow machines were getting stuck in the slush. That is not normal  . Most of the time 4 wheelers will get the job done . Go to a web site Tackle Toms . He is awesome.  They will tell you where and what to use . Very helpfully and friendly.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline IDFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:48 PM »
I live in McCall just north of Donnelly and have been fishing Cascade for the past 7-8 years.  In my experience a snowmobile is the preferred method of travel at least 75% of the time.  I would plan on renting an snowmobile, chances are it will be the way to go and when you're not fishing there are some good trails around your cabin that you can ride on.  Good luck!

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:41 AM »
How's the ice coming along?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.