Author Topic: Obsession with FF Technology  (Read 3332 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Obsession with FF Technology
« on: Nov 24, 2022, 07:35 PM »
Don’t know if there’s anyone out there that may agree with me but I like watching YouTube videos and see that’s it’s almost impossible to find recent videos where livescope, livesight, etc. are not being used.  I personally have no problem affording one or even a couple units for that matter.  Has nothing to do with money.  The problem is I’ve had the chance to use them on the boat and hardwater and it killed the excitement for me.  I like to hunt, be surprised and use my own intuition to figure fish out even if it’s a matter of patience.  What happened to fishing with an old school flasher or fishing blind.  Can’t even watch videos anymore where FF tech is being used.   I know this will be a sore subject for a lot of people and if it offends you I really don’t need your feedback.  Most will try to justify their purchase and that’s fine but I want to know how many out there can’t stand it?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Obsession with FF Technology
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2022, 07:40 PM »
I don't use any electronics on the ice. I do my homework during open water... makes for less gear to lug and no batteries to mess with in the winter.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2022, 07:52 PM »
I am really old school and like setting out tip ups and waiting for a flag, I have the shack to sit in and jig with different electronics it just seems to get boring and love hanging with the wife and kids playing games and such. Maybe in my older years will get a permanent shack like a ice castle and just take the wife out so she can jig whole hanging out. I have not seen very many out here with the livescope yet, a buddy has one so we will see how that changes the game, but so far if I spent more money on ice fishing most likely would be a permanent shack.

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2022, 07:56 PM »
All about preference. If you’re willing to spend the money on electronics and use them to your advantage nothing against it. Also isn’t an elitist thing where those who use them are “better” fishermen. Always gonna be guys who can catch just as many if not more with no sonar and plain knowledge of the lake/species etc. with or without em ice fishing is fun… I think we can all agree on that!
skippin' class to fish

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2022, 07:58 PM »
I dont need all that much tech to pull a fish thru a hole in the ice.i will fish with a flasher the rest of my life.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2022, 08:21 PM »
I enjoy watching videos with guys using live sonars. However, I don't own a live unit, and no plans of buying one any time soon, as I'm happy with my base level humminbird and marcum units.

Just got a tripod for ice season, hope to shoot some Youtube footage for fun. Still need to figure out how to get proper visibility  of what the flasher is actually showing to show show up on video, I believe it may have something to do with changing the shutter speed. I don't have a direct control on the camera, but hoping that changing to night mode or something similar will do the trick. Planning to test my theories on first ice, hoping next week if weather holds up and all goes as planned.

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2022, 08:31 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again...and I'll keep saying it. These things are just plain bad for fishing.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:00 PM »
I use my flasher and once in a while the camera...more to see the actual bottom structure though. Knowing the area, using the right bait, attracting them in, and then getting the hit...all that is the enjoyment of the sport for me, plus just being outside and away from people and noise. It's kinda like in the movie "A Christmas story"... the dropping hints, laying out the bait, (the magazine ads), working them in, and then the yank and tug on Christmas morning...and the great surprise...Wow!  “The official Red Ryder carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time!!!!"   :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2022, 09:12 PM »
I use my flasher and once in a while the camera...more to see the actual bottom structure though. Knowing the area, using the right bait, attracting them in, and then getting the hit...all that is the enjoyment of the sport for me, plus just being outside and away from people. It's kinda like in the movie "A Christmas story"... the dropping hints, laying out the bait, (the magazine ads), working them in, and then the yank and tug on Christmas morning...and the great surprise...Wow!  “The official Red Ryder carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time!!!!"   :woot:

X2

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2022, 10:12 PM »
One thing they have ruined is fishing tournaments. I used to like them and did pretty good sometimes. Now I don’t even bother. I have friends that ask all the time, wanna do this or that tournament? The answer is no. I’d rather just go fishing.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2022, 10:50 PM »
Whenever something new comes along, many will say it is not sporting or it ruins the fishing and like most tools, it can be abused... I have no doubt that when flashers came out the same things were said (just not online, as it was before its time). I don't own a unit yet, but I will get one in the next few years, primarily for my boat on the salt. It will be one more tool that will save me time and if you have never done any sight fishing, you should try it sometime, it is lots of fun. But even seeing a fish and casting too it is no guarantee that you will get it to bite. I can and have caught lots of fish through the ice without sounders, electric augers, GoreTex, and all the other innovations that many anglers find helpful. If you are like a primitive bow hunter that likes to make his own bow and arrows and knapping his own flint arrowheads more power to you, I enjoy my deer hunting just fine with a nice compound bow or better yet a rifle with a nice scope... Luddites always seem to like to attack the latest thing to come along, that is your right, as is mine to use any legal tech to make my fishing more fun and exciting... I love sight fishing a big flat, whether it's a big striper, trout, or tarpon, casting to the fish, is a thrill and that is what this new tool can do for you, or at least it will for me.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2022, 11:24 PM »
 I personally don’t care who uses what. Long as they stay within the law
 What I’ve found knowing your prey is your biggest asset, I fish several lakes during the winter , all said and done you still have to put a lure down a hole to catch them no matter what’s in your arsenal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2022, 03:55 AM »
Like almost anything else, I'll ask myself three questions...1) Can I afford it? 2) Is it legal? 3) Do I find it ethical? If I can answer yes to all three questions, then I have no issues with it. It just boils down to a want or need at this point.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2022, 04:04 AM »
To each his own on the optics, but is it necessary to drill 100+ holes to use em ?

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2022, 05:25 AM »
Those videos you're watching are those guys trying to make money off of people watching them fish. That's a big difference between you and I fishing for the joy of fishing and being out to enjoy the day.
They won't make money if people don't watch their channel. And we have no idea of how much they might be being "helped" by the various manufacturers to advertise the tech. To many of them, I bet it's very much about the benjamins in the final analysis.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2022, 05:47 AM »

Muggy your right , pro staffers are there to promote products, and of course it’s about $$$, I pay more attention to regular joes on here with hands on experiences

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:11 AM »
Yep, I upgraded my depthfinder this year- Am using a metric sparkplug on the ol' alligator clip instead of the old English one....
Seriously, I live pretty far soiuth of the "Ice line" and am lucky to get a couple of weeks of hard water fishing each year.  I also
have a limited number of places to fish but have fished them for many years.  Experience has taught me where to, and where not to,
fish so I don't need all of the elecronics. My hand auger, a bucket to carry stuff in, and a boat cushion to kneel on and I'm good.
For the sake of transparency, I do have a low end depthfinder on my boat which I use to find structural changes in bottom contours.
Seldom does a fish on the screen translate to a fish in the boat.

As long as one fishes ethically and respects limits on size and numbers I bear no grudge against those who use electronics.

fish on, for 71 years and counting, fish off
By my fingers on this keyboard I remain,

rivereddy

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:19 AM »
Muggy your right , pro staffers are there to promote products, and of course it’s about $$$, I pay more attention to regular joes on here with hands on experiences

Yep. I learned long ago the "pro" in "pro staff" is for promotional not professional...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:34 AM »
Those videos you're watching are those guys trying to make money off of people watching them fish. That's a big difference between you and I fishing for the joy of fishing and being out to enjoy the day.
They won't make money if people don't watch their channel. And we have no idea of how much they might be being "helped" by the various manufacturers to advertise the tech. To many of them, I bet it's very much about the benjamins in the final analysis.
Your absolutely right, it’s all about the $$ and I totally get it.  I’m an avid fisherman that spends quite a bit of time fishing tournaments on the soft water.  Normally fish with a coangler a lot times (not in a team format) but that’s how a lot of tournaments are set up if your the owner.  Had quite a few ask me about why I don’t have that technology seeing is I have no problem affording it.  Even my brother which fishes with me from time to time keeps twisting my arm to get one and I refuse.  Now albeit, whether I have a horseshoe up my butt or something else, I still have placed high or won a couple handfuls of tournaments over the recent years and a lot (not all) of the competition does embrace this newer tech.  Our club has discussed and heard about a possible circuit of tournaments in the future that FF tech will not be allowed.  I find this very interesting and am all about it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2022, 09:09 AM »
To each his own on the optics, but is it necessary to drill 100+ holes to use em ?

X2 Another good point. Swiss-cheesing the friggin' ice on a pristine lake with tons of holes is totally unnecessary.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2022, 09:23 AM »

Holeheads and litterbugs are my two biggest pet peeves on the ice, and around here the two seem to go hand in hand a lot.

If you need to drill a couple hundred holes in a 2 acre pond to find fish...  ::)

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2022, 10:46 AM »
I have the home made Red Lantern Box with a double mantel Coleman Lantern I pull around. Have a converted Lowrance Green Box flasher which I never use. Just something more to drag out on ice. I did convert my 5" inch auger to battery operated. I don't have a shanty. I use 5' very sensitive fiberglass rods, Schooley Reels, 3# Stren Ice line, (discontinued.)
A few years back, was fishing Willow Slough with Jared,  Panfishpopper (Who I met here on site, from Lafayette) A true bluegill guru!!
We were catching those Slough Gills ( 8"-10",) not killing them but steady.
A young Buck comes steaming up with all the goodies and sets up shop right next to me. There were dozens of holes all around us. He had a fancy Flasher, fancy rods and reels and a shanty behind. Was about 30 degrees. We continued to catch a few.  Young guy can't buy a bite. He finally asked me what I was using. I swung my homemade blood worm jig with a red wedgee over in front of his face. That's how close he was sitting next to me. He asked what kind of bait I was using? I responded, "That's it!" He said, "No, I mean what kind of bait are you putting on it?" I said, "That's it!!!!" "You mean your not using bait?" Again I said, "That's it!!!" Jared was smiling!
Jared and I continued to catch a few. Young guy couldn't stand it, drug up and moved on.
Felt sorta sorry for him. All he had to do was try a couple different holes and would probably have caught them.
I have no problem with all the new electronics if that's what blows your skirt. If they enable guys to catch those big male gills to the point it hurts the population then I'm  against it.
I fish for "The Love Of The Game", being out in God's great outdoors, the comradery and the challenge !
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2022, 11:49 AM »
All about preference. If you’re willing to spend the money on electronics and use them to your advantage nothing against it. Also isn’t an elitist thing where those who use them are “better” fishermen. Always gonna be guys who can catch just as many if not more with no sonar and plain knowledge of the lake/species etc. with or without em ice fishing is fun… I think we can all agree on that!

I agree - it's all about personal preference.

I don't in any way take a moral or ethical stance on ice fishing electronics - I have nothing principally against the use of them at all. But for me, I don't wish to see a fish hitting my jig before it actually hits it. I find the anticipation and the element of surprise to be the keys to the excitement ice fishing brings me.

Now, I can see obvious advantages with flashers/sonars in finding the right depth and so on, and as such, I may catch fewer fish on some days without electronics. I'd be surprised if I didn't.  But as I work in front of a screen all day long, and spend more time than I'd like on my iphone, I personally like it the oldskool way. To contradict myself a little bit, I have found Navionics really helpful on my phone, but I mainly use that when I get to a new area - it's not something I look at constantly.

Also, I am a big believer in hyper-mobile ice jigging, as I target schooling fish and carry my gear, often covering a lot of ground (ice). The less stuff to carry the better for me. Could I change my mind in the future? Quite possibly, but at least for now, I don't feel like I need to change my approach: I can't see how ice fishing could possibly get any more exciting than it already is :)
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2022, 12:07 PM »
On open water I use the mapping the most, I think that has put more fish in my boat than anything, along with the tracks so I can go right back over the spot I caught fish on. But I also use it on the ice as well so I get the mapping side of things. That right depth and all, but good ol getting out there and fishing is the only way to catch fish.

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2022, 12:46 PM »
I could bearly afford a flasher when I bought mine a few years ago, no way I'm spending this kind of $$ on this.

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2022, 10:54 PM »
Staring into a screen all day is the complete opposite of why I go fishing. I am fine with electronics to find structure or schools of fish but using live imaging to follow individual fish seems pretty lame to me. Not knowing exactly what’s out there and what will bite is part of the excitement of fishing.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2022, 06:41 AM »
I find it funny that guys are perfectly fine using it on the boat, but suddenly it becomes a boogeyman on the ice??? Lol.

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:31 AM »
So for those who like to go old school and not use technology.... Do you still drill your holes by hand auger? Do you use a flipover or popup shelter (tech) or do you still sit on a bucket in the open wind..... Just saying.... kinda of contradicting... each to their own. In the past couple years, I have embraced the sonars, I actually find it useful in understanding the fish behavior throughout the day (part of researching my target species). Other options are the lay of a lake (even ones I have been fishing on since I was 10). I now find myself exploring more of the lakes than the common places (easily accessible) that everyone else does (trying to stay away from public so I can enjoy the view). Individual says it's cheating.... Last I check it doesn't have some majestical whistle that calls in fish, it doesn't emit an odor to draw fish in, it doesn't tell you which lure, jig, or bait to stick down the hole, it doesn't make the jig twitch a certain way that's better, it doesn't set the hook, it doesn't reel in the line or fight the fish, it doesn't cuss when the fish breaks the line, it doesn't cuss when the fish is half way out of the hole and it shake the hook. All those things are upto the fisherman with or without tech....
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:41 AM »
Don’t know if there’s anyone out there that may agree with me but I like watching YouTube videos and see that’s it’s almost impossible to find recent videos where livescope, livesight, etc. are not being used.  I personally have no problem affording one or even a couple units for that matter.  Has nothing to do with money.  The problem is I’ve had the chance to use them on the boat and hardwater and it killed the excitement for me.  I like to hunt, be surprised and use my own intuition to figure fish out even if it’s a matter of patience.  What happened to fishing with an old school flasher or fishing blind.  Can’t even watch videos anymore where FF tech is being used.   I know this will be a sore subject for a lot of people and if it offends you I really don’t need your feedback.  Most will try to justify their purchase and that’s fine but I want to know how many out there can’t stand it?

Bigfoot86,

I am in the same boat as you.  I watch alot of You Tube videos for ice fishing.  I try to keep an eye on how they are jigging, what baits they are using, and how they have their shacks setup.  I agree, its hard to watch a video of their video screen, and then they show the fish topside.  If I can find a channel where they don't rely on the live sonars, they can look for me to subscribe.  There are still alot of channels out there that just use the regular flashers, just need to weed them out. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:50 AM »
I can send ya a pic of me fishing sans FF gear, cameras, cozy insulated shack, all bundled up at a windy -5°, so says the pic, from 17 years ago, if that will help ya out.    :roflmao:

I caught 3 nice rainbows that day...🐟~~~~~~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.