Author Topic: the ice is still holding its own!!!  (Read 1803 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
the ice is still holding its own!!!
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:22 PM »
 I been out the lase three days and the ice is holding up well. It looks like the snow is melting and the ice is not melting yet. There was 14" on Friday and there was 14" tonight. I hoping it will hold out for at least for one more week!
 Tight Lines!
  Matt
 P.S.
 Be careful out there!

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the ice is still holding its own!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:31 PM »
14 on what body?
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I been out the lase three days and the ice is holding up well. It looks like the snow is melting and the ice is not melting yet. There was 14" on Friday and there was 14" tonight. I hoping it will hold out for at least for one more week!
 Tight Lines!
  Matt
 P.S.
 Be careful out there!

Looks like you'll be able to squeeze another week out Matt. May need a plank to get past the edges though. The ice should start to honeycomb soon once the snow is gone. You can still fish, but just need to be a bit cautious on the northern facing shores.

tight lines

ratsotail

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:10 PM »
It will take longer than a week for 14" of ice to melt, even with this warm up coming. No worries. :woot:

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:51 PM »
Went out to night and got some nice crappies. there was still12-14" of ice! It looks like bad but is still plenty thick!
  Matt

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Went out to night and got some nice crappies. there was still12-14" of ice! It looks like bad but is still plenty thick!
  Matt

Good to hear! I'm heading out tomorrow morning around DuPage.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:38 PM »
 Hope the ice is still holding there! Be careful out there. Early and late ice are the worst to judge. I have heard of the ice honeycombing and having soft spots.
 Good Luck and BE SAFE!
  Matt

Good to hear! I'm heading out tomorrow morning around DuPage.

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Well the lake I went to today had surprisingly good ice. Still 9inches of what appeared to be pretty decent ice under about 3inches of the crappy stuff. Most of the slush was frozen and could hold your weight. The shorelines had about 5inches of ice with 4inches of slush on top. Heading out to some Cook County lakes tomorrow morning.

Offline The Prizz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep on keeping on....
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Carrots- which cook county lakes are you refering to? I was informed that Maple, Sag, Tampier area lakes are holding thier own(for now) and if they can make it through to Sunday, temps will be under freezing at night next week to hopefully expand the season a little longer.
May your fish be as big as your fish stories... Prizz

Offline Carrots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Hit Papoose this morning. Shoreline is pretty beat up, once you got out the ice was really nice. Varying from 9"-11" of the good stuff. No slop on top. It was the dead sea out there fish wise though. Didn't mark a single fish, didn't see any on the camera either. We drilled 50-60 holes. Might hit up Wampum tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Not so much around me. Thinking we are done unless Ice Age kicks in. Water was slow to rise but is catching up fast.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.