Author Topic: Ice sonar?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Ice sonar?
« on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:28 PM »
 I was thinking about getting a ice sonar(Vexilar or Marcum ) but I thought I would ask you guys here what you would recommend. I want something that is easy to read and use. I have a camera for Cabelas but when the water is dirty or the fish are suspended its not much help. Thanks for the help!
  Matt 

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice sonar?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I personally like my vex, but you should go look thou the equipment board. You will find all the information that you should need. This question has come up alot every year. I think it is just a personal choice.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:20 PM »
LX-5 here best piece of ice fishing equiptment i ever invested in

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:03 AM »
 Anybody using the new Hummingbird ice? If so how well does it work?
 Thanks
   Matt

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:55 PM »
I got an ice 55 this season and love it.  The battery lasts very well and i've had no problems with it at all.  The "anywhere in the water column zoom" is worth the money for me.  The lcd depth readout is also nice when quick checking for depth.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:59 AM »
Does the 55 hum like the vexilars do ?
Hard Ice

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:53 PM »
The best fish finder is a pole with a wax worm on it  ;D always worked for me and much cheaper..oh and the finder catches fish! But if u buy one of the flashers and find a buy one get one free I would be willing to help take the other one off your hands! :P

Offline jsbz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I have owned both the Vex FL8 and now the Marcum LX-5.  I love my Marcum and would not trade it for anything......

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2010, 01:29 PM »
dude you just didnt know how to use that fl8
  I know how to use mine
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Gadget Geek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I own a Vex FL-12 and was pretty happy with it until I got a chance to mess with my buddies Marcum LX-5. I won't spend any money on a new unit this season because I want to see what all the manufacturers come out with next season (if anything). The Humminbird units are intriguing but I have heard about too many problems, they are going to have to get it straightend out before I drop money on one.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2010, 04:25 PM »
I own a Vex FL-12 and was pretty happy with it until I got a chance to mess with my buddies Marcum LX-5. I won't spend any money on a new unit this season because I want to see what all the manufacturers come out with next season (if anything). The Humminbird units are intriguing but I have heard about too many problems, they are going to have to get it straightend out before I drop money on one.

What problems have you heard about on the Humminbrids?

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:03 PM »
That hum calls the fishies in. I ain't getting rid of my fl8's but might convert one to blue cause it can be done.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:38 PM »
i love my vex.  i have seen marcums and while they look great, i've also seen alot more issues with depths changing constantly and bouncing issues.   i wish the vex fl8 had a zoom as that is about th eonly thing missing.

Offline jsbz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I own the Marcum LX-5 now and like it much better than my FL8.  I usually fish in shallow water and the FL8 is worthless in shallow water.  If you want the unit to work you can purchase Vexilars band-aid S cable to eliminate some of the noise.  I say band-aid because they know its an issue and fixed it in their other units but neglect to fix it on the fl8 and force their customers to pay and additional $39.00 for a cable. The zoom feature and super fine line functions are amazing and make the unit priceless to me.

Offline Gadget Geek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Quote from: 74redone
What problems have you heard about on the Humminbrids?

Well I've heard about reliabilty problems but I can't verify that. Many users are complaining about mushy perfomance that seems to relate to the single crystal transducer, both Vex and marcum have dual crystal, dual beam transducers. Some complaints about the controls too. People are saying that the units keep going back the default settings, others say that's not true, those who are complaining just don't know how to use their units... I will have to play with one and find out for myself. remember Humminbird is located in Alabama, Just a bit South of the ice belt, maybe that has something to do with their ice flasher problems?

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2010, 01:06 PM »
I fish shallow water all the time with my fl8's.  Don't use the s cable.  S cables great for 3 feet or less weed choked areas except fishing mostly is not great in those areas. Or you can just sight fish.

Hummingbirds have an LCD screen, right?  Can't sell me one of those.....

Marcum tries to sell their units based on power, I work with a long time submariner who sez not way it works.
In fact s cable cuts power on Vex.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Gadget Geek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:31 PM »
blu, I believe only the center depth display is LCD on the humminbirds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.