Author Topic: old style fish trap  (Read 1152 times)

aquafang

old style fish trap
« on: Nov 14, 2004, 08:06 AM »
Does anyone have one they can share some tips on how they have modified or customized theirs?  I found a used one and think I am going to get it.  the sled seems to be deeper and heavier duty than the new scout or pro.  One thing I noticed was that the fron poles when shut seem to not go down all the way to the ice.  Has anyone done anything to modify this?
thanks.  Any info or ideas are greatly appreciated!

PerchBusterSD

Re: old style fish trap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2004, 08:13 AM »
the base on the older ones are heavier built then the new ones. As far as the poles not touching the ground go in back and loosen the canvas until the poles sit down nice then refasten it

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2004, 08:47 AM »
I have an old Pro model with the canvas type material , the base sleds are the same dimensions as the new scouts and pro , they (pro) come off the side and the scouts come off the back, i don't think there any heavier or lighter(sleds) , my bro-in -law has both new models , I hadn't noticed any difference . If the front doesn't go down all the way , just rock the frame forward(while your inside) , till it sits flat on the ice , it may be because of the retracting pole system , and when you close it the materials bind up , and it shifts , a tweek here and there will do the trick .
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2004, 10:54 AM »
aquafang I would try what IcePirate and PerchBusterSD had advised. If that doesn't work you may have one of the under-sized tents that came out a few years ago. Clam had a problem with tents that were being fabricated about 6 inches too short in the rear. They were first class about it and replaced all tents at no cost if you notified them.
Another thing you could check is the "molding" that secures the tent. The molding should be at least 4" from the center seam or it can cause binding.  Good luck !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2004, 06:10 PM »
Mine is about 10 years old. I used a piece of 1/2" conduit  around the bottom of the flap and it sits down nicely on the ice....no drafts. I attached canvas eyelets to the flap and attached the conduit using plastic wire ties.

Tha older models with the deep tub are definitly heavier duty than the new ones. Mine is still going strong. :)
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.