Author Topic: Escaping the in-laws  (Read 1534 times)

Mizayikaa

Escaping the in-laws
« on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Hello Colorado. This is not ice fishing related so I apologize for that. I will be coming to Colorado Springs in July for my wife's family reunion. I am curious if anyone could point me in the direction of some fishing close by there that I could escape to for a half day or so. I have only ever driven through this area on the interstate and that was twenty years ago so I don't know the area. I am not picky on species or size. I am not looking for secrets of any kind just hoping to get out for a few casts for a while. Any info is greatly appreciated. Hope you're having a great ice season and thanks for your time.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Escaping the in-laws
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:39 PM »
You're certainly welcome and if it were my in-laws I'd stretch it out as long as humanly possible. There are a couple of municipal lakes, Prospect and Quail Lake which offer some

put and take opportunities for stockers. Decent warmwater fishing is an hour south at Pueblo reservoir but it's hit or miss without a boat. Personally , I think your best choice is a

15 minute drive up Ute Pass to the town of Cascade and take a left. What you're looking for is the three lake chain of lakes on the flanks of Pikes Peak. There's an entrance fee to

the Pikes Peak highway but it's only a few bucks if you tell them you're just going to the lakes and not up the mountain. Deep lakes, cold and beautiful surroundings. All trout

fishing, cutbows and browns while the third lake has some lakers but you'd need a canoe, kayak, or belly boat to access. I'd probably stick with the middle lake for shore fishing.

Get a two rod stamp, fish one rod on the bottom with powerbait or eggs, or crawlers. Throw the other one with standard trout gear like Kasty's , Panther Martins, or even a fly &

bubble rig if you know how. Popular lakes but never crowded especially on a weekday. Beats a family reunion. Colorado Tackle Pro at the corner of Hwy. 24 and 21st Street can

supply last minute needs. Have a good time.

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Or go west from CS on 24 hang a right in Woodland Park and go north to Deckers. Hang a left to Cheeseman Reservoir. Bass pike perch trout.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 03:06 PM »
If you see me talking to my inlaws,  call the Ghostbusters.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas. I like the sounds of the variety in Cheesman but the the distance to the chain of Pike's Peak lakes makes them pretty handy. Is there much in the way of river or stream fishing in that neck of the woods? Thanks again.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:03 PM »
South Platte river below Cheesman or 11-mile reservoir.  Its technical fly-fishing basically. Slimers.  There's lots of tiny creeks on natl forest land around but it'll take more than a 1/2 day to figure out.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline redmerle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:56 PM »
11 mile canyon. fly fishing. drive all the way up to the damn and fish that section during the week. plenty of fish. Stop at a local fly shop to see whats hatching and you'll be all set. Its about an hour away from the springs. We used to go all the time in the early 2000s. I had one day in august during a trico hatch where I must have caught about 50 trout in an hour. It was rediculous.

Offline zmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:38 PM »
Pueblo reservoir tail water 50 miles away to the south...

Mizayikaa

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Thanks again for all the input. I should definitely be able to get out for some "fresh air" with your helpful information. Looking forward to seeing that country. Tight lines.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:11 PM »
You can always take the Manitou business district on your way West out of town. Maggie's Farm is one of the more well known recreational "wellness" retailers if you're bent in that direction. Popular with the tourists.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Mizayikaa

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Shouldn't need to stop there. I am sure it would kick my @$$. Gave the stuff up years ago. Thanks for the info though. If only I could get the mother in law to give it a shot. Ha.

Offline redmerle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:16 PM »
is the fly shop still open at Lake George at the entrance to 11 mile? They always were very helpful.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Update: That will come across as annoying I am sure. For that I apologize. My in-law adventure got moved to Winter Park. I am sure this time as the trip is booked. With that being said my question is the same as before, only with a new location. I have done a little research on the Fraser river and on Vasquez creek. Lake Granby isn't too far and up for consideration as well. Any info on this area that might put me on a few fish would be greatly appreciated. Anything I catch will go directly back to Colorado waters. Thanks.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Yes I'm annoyed. Now go away-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Slayer, I'm surprised you didn't say

Shutup and Fish.
Bud

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Yes I'm annoyed. Now go away-
Gotta love him. If you're really just looking to do a little river fly fishing up near Winter Park you're probably on the wrong forum. Call some of those local fly shops and they'll set your feet on the path.
                                                               Stinky

Mizayikaa

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:43 PM »
Thanks Stinkfin. I will call around. Sorry to bother anyone with open water questions on an ice fishing forum. Slayer, I thank you for the reminder that if you are going to ask questions on a forum you should be prepared to hear from d1p $#!t$. No worries, we have them in Montana too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.