The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: jiffy gear case leak  (Read 460 times)

Offline Mrdavis53009

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • born to fish forced to work!
jiffy gear case leak
« on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:00 PM »
I bought a jiffy anger brand new 2 years ago.it is a legend XT 3500 series. I went into my garage yesterday to start it up and I noticed some grease leaking from the gearbox. I tightened up all the bolts and it is still leaking a little bit while it is running has anybody else had this problem. Looking at the diagram in the owners manual there is no gasket where it is leaking. I think it will be fine but I just want to know if anybody else has had this problem?
Gonna get a big one this time!

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: jiffy gear case leak
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:19 PM »
I own a Jiffy as well. Its my second. I haven't had that issue. I would use youtube as a resource. Where is it leaking from? Have you ever dropped it? :tipup:
Cheers,

Pete

Offline Mrdavis53009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:48 PM »
It's leaking right on the seam. I take good care of it never been dropped or abused. The old gear cases are metal. The newer ones seem like plastic.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:49 PM »
If tightning slightly doesn't do it I wouldn't worry too much. Usually the gear boxes of machines like this have a heavy gearbox oil. My tiller weeps but has never lost anything enough to see adding some. Where from?? Around the shaft bushing??

Offline Mrdavis53009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2012, 05:35 PM »
it leaks right here

Offline uxbridgeian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2012, 05:57 PM »
just bought the same auger used and had the same issue... took it all apart and found out the new jiffy's don't take gear oil, they just have some grease rubbed on the gears. that's why there is no gasket. grease must separate  or liquefy a little over summer heat causing some to weep out. so there is nothing to worry about..

Offline Mrdavis53009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Thanks for the input. Puts my mind at ease. With Christmas and every thing else I don't even want to think about spending more money. Merry Christmas everyone we'll be on ice soon

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:56 PM »
Did you store it on it's side?  It is just grease and probably the summer heat made some liquid separate fromu the grease, no biggie.  If it becomes an issue, you could seal it up with RTV, but you probably don't need to.

Offline Mrdavis53009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:31 AM »
It was on its side for a couple weeks .  I tightened up all the bolts and it pretty much stopped . Could be because it was warm and loose now that it's cold and tight I think it's good thanks. @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.