Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 1409 times)

Offline gramps2321

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Cleats
« on: Feb 13, 2017, 10:04 PM »
What's your favorite Ice Cleats for your boots?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2017, 11:46 PM »
I have tried quit a few different brands over the years and this year I bought the Eagle Claw Stainless Steel Chain Ice Cleats #ICSSCLT-XL fit U.S. size 10-13 boot.  I need a  large size ice cleat because I have big bulky ice-fishing boots.  They stretch over the toe to the heel with little effort.  They have chains attached from the perimeter rubber stretch band to "V" cleats on  the bottom and heel  Easy on and easy off. 

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Yak trax all the way
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Fish4days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2017, 05:01 PM »
I was thinking of using my golf shoes if they were better insulated seeing that I'm such a hacker at that game.

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:11 PM »
I think HT Enterprises basic stretch on cleat work fine. Had friends buy cleats with metal chains and their feet got cold simply because the metal became cold.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I've never felt strongly for one over the other. The only ones I don't like are the rubber band HT ones. Yaktrax works well, you just slip them on and go. They don't grip that well, but just enough to make walking easy. All that I have ever found are made in China if that matters to you. About the "best" is a deep tread boot with hex head screws into the sole. Just don't wear them anywhere except the lake. Bait shops hate when you wear any cleats inside.
-Tom

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:45 PM »
my korkers are over 35 years old. i changed the laces once. they work great on the ice or on the jetty.

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Got a pair of Stabil ice cleats this year, work great & made in the u.s.a!!!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:16 PM »
STABILICERS !!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:45 PM »
none better than kahtoola micro spikes.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:56 PM »

About the "best" is a deep tread boot with hex head screws into the sole.

Second that.     :thumbsup: :clap:

Credit to rgfixit:       :bow: 

Offline Walleyes killers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:22 AM »
I couldn't agree more I just use sheet metal screws 1/4inche long and put them in the bottom of my boot they work awsome! Don't try walking into a store with them on they will kill you😂😂

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2017, 06:11 AM »
That's what I did .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:19 AM »
I think it's time for me to look into a quality pair of creepers.  I found a fix for my cheap ones last weekend.  They kept coming off so I used a small bungee cord to keep the front on.  Worked great until one the rubber bands broke on one, the bungee somehow flipped over and hooked to the other foot, and I ended up on my back when I took my next step.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I've tried several cheap cleats, as well as the screws in the bottom of my boots.  The screws work great on glare ice, but I had trouble with loose snow on the ice or after the boots got iced up from cutting holes.  I ended up on my back, with the auger still running, last year and swore I'd get something better.  I finally broke down and bought Kahtoola Micro Spikes this year.  I'm impressed!  They are very aggressive.  Haven't had any issues with them slipping off or anything.  I would highly recommend them.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Was On the ice yesterday. I have the old Katoola's several years old. No problems. A couple of my buddies were out there each wearing just one of the new Katoola's on a foot. They both broke one of theirs, putting them on in the morning. One of them has gone through three pairs of the new ones this year alone. Warranty has covered them. But the rubber on them is way thinner than the old ones. Funny one of the guys was saying how easy they go on just a few days ago. New and improved is not always better.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Don't like to hear that!  I'm stretching the XL's onto a pair of sz 12 Baffin Titans, so they are really stretched.  Hope they hold up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.