Author Topic: Shappell FX100  (Read 3676 times)

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shappell FX100
« on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Well after several positive reviews and being at the right place and the right time, I picked up this shanty last week at a very good price here is town.  Also picked up the factory cover and runner kick from Franks Great outdoors in Linwood, MI.  Looked at this shanty for size and weight vs. my existing shanty.  It is sitting in my garage and ready to be assembled.

I have a few questions before I truly commit to this thing:

1.  What is the best way to install the hyfax?  My assumption is front to back but wanted to check.  Also does it require a heat gun to help conform to the front?
2.  Is there any special trick to putting this thing together other than the fine instructions it came with?  I have put other shanties together but just wanted to be sure while I have it in part.
3.  How do you guys lay out your gear.  I feel this is plenty wide, but somewhat short in length, but I gues that is the tradeoff for the weight and I need to be more of a minimalist.

So far it looks good.  Pros:
1.  weight - 37-38 lbs roughly.  I plan on adding the runners, a small piece of commercial grade but light weight walkoff carpet, and some reflectix.  Seat I am keeping stock for now.  The additions will be less than 10 lbs.
2.  Visibility out of the vents to check tipups from the side - I was a little concern with this when I saw it had one window.
3.  Takes up less space in storage and in truck.

Cons:
1.  Cant fit my nils hand auger without it hanging out.  Not a biggie, might have to come up with some sorta of alternative.
2.  Cabelas tundra ice rod bag might not fit in a manner that takes up the least amount of space.  The bag is 38" long and sits slightly elevated at the curve of the sled.  This is TBD once assembled.  First year trying an ice bag and for the $ ($48 on sale) this is the best I can find that has a hard side and get legitimately handle the # of rods specified provided I put them in some florescent light bulb covers.  Differ topic and if I decide on this option I will post updates on how I configured the bag.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shappell FX100
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:23 PM »
Also in regards to the hyfax, it appears to me that I might have to cut the two outside pieces.  Wouldn't have a problem with this put then I will be removing one of the countersunk screw holes.  Unless I can trim both sides, but its going to be close....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:26 AM »
you get it put together yet?haha.i still  need to put runners on mine but would imagine front first just make sure the runners are warm. I didn't need heat on the commando runners.the travel cover needs some padding added in the corners or the seat/frame bracket rub holes in it very  quick.pretty easy to put together really if its not your first rodeo.i like the smaller sled for loading up in the truck and will hold too much gear.lol.only 1 window?mine has 2 one up front and 1  in the back with 2 side vents to see out off too.alot easier to pull and load than the ol frabill commando but the bench seat straight up kills my back and as$ after a long day of fishing.i need to find a lightweight stadium seat for mine but don't want to add anymore weight.ive used my shappell fx100 all last year  and this year without a problem.my commando has dust on it because I go with my bro in law and getting 2 shanties in a truck is hard with the commando because the sled is so dang long.it barely fits sideways in my dodge without fighting it in there perfectly..the fx 100 and eskimo wide one fit great.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:30 PM »
No, I have not.  Life has had me a little busy this week.  I have been getting some feedback via PM and I appreciate it guys.

Yes, I plan on padding the corners of the cover with some  duct tape or perhaps some stick on Velcro using the fuzzy side.

I mainly got it for its light, run and gun approach.  I have a Canyon with a 5' long bed.  The commando, just fit but took up all the room and nothing else would fit especially if someone else tagged along.  My rods were in buckets and all over the truck.  With two kids car seats taking up my entire back crew cab, I don't have the extra room to load and reload gear and such and that is why I am also exploring different rod bags that I have picked up on sale.

I believe dunhams had stadium chair on sale that actually closely matched the blue shappell color.  Light weight and would accommodate my 225lb frame.

Hopefully I can post more on the shanty and ice rod bags sooner than later.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Well a little update after some time...

Installation went very well.  I started with the Hyfax moving in one row from the outside so I wouldn't have to make any special cuts or modifications.  Instructions for the shanty were straight forward, and there was plenty of components and over quality was good.  The only step I haven't done is the last step where you install the screws around the weather strip to hold in the fabric as I am not sure I want to drill into the fabric just yet....

Right away I notice this shanty is much lighter than any other pull over that I have owned and the intended purpose behind getting this shanty in the first place.  It was so light that I was able to carry it in the vertical position and get around some tight corners in my crowded garage.  I added a stadium seat which weighed around 2 lbs and I do have to add a piece of commercial grade carpet so overall I don't think I am much more than 42lbs without any gear!

I guess it does come with a few initial downfalls:  1.  I notice that the fabric rests on my head when in the windbreak position even without the stadium seat in place.  I am just under 6'.   Not a deal breaker but a little annoying.  I noticed if I move the bench all the way forward it does help.
2.  The fabric appears to be a little loose behind me and I could see with a little wind cause it to flap.  I tucked quit a bit of material (evenly) around the lip before installing the strip and I know you don't want it tight to allow for some movement.  Maybe I am being to picky and I guess most shanties have this issue for the most part.

Overall I am happy with this purchase and cant wait to get it out soon.

I will try to post up some pictures if I can get my account to work.

Offline ferrisone28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Did you have any "issues" putting the trim on?  Did you have to heat yours up like they suggest?

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:32 PM »
I had no issues installing the hyfax.  The material was plenty flexible.  As far as strip to hold the fabric I left the screws out for now.  Ice fishing just ended so I might play around and look at doing a few simple mods for rod/gear storage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.