Author Topic: Where would you go?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where would you go?
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:36 PM »
I will be in the valley from Sunday until Wednesday. Going to hit Pineview and Mantua for sure. Any other ideas would be most welcome! Thanks in advance, Joe :icefish:

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Where would you go?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:00 PM »
You might wanna add rockport to that list if you're gonna be here for that many days. The trout action has been pretty good 10-15ft under the ice. Don't think it matters what depth your in unless you have a 2 pole then maybe hit the 50fow and look for a few perch on the bottom with one pole, the other workin the slimers right under the ice
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:21 PM »

I will be in the valley from Sunday until Wednesday. Going to hit Pineview and Mantua for sure. Any other ideas would be most welcome! Thanks in advance, Joe :icefish:

If you feel up to pulling a "double-header" you can add Causey Reservoir to your Pineview jaunt... only 15-20 minutes due east on route 39 from PV for a shot at some Koke's or Splake.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:11 AM »
You might wanna add rockport to that list if you're gonna be here for that many days. The trout action has been pretty good 10-15ft under the ice. Don't think it matters what depth your in unless you have a 2 pole then maybe hit the 50fow and look for a few perch on the bottom with one pole, the other workin the slimers right under the ice
Might try that. I have never fished the rock before. Camped on it as a boy scout many moons ago... thanks!

If you feel up to pulling a "double-header" you can add Causey Reservoir to your Pineview jaunt... only 15-20 minutes due east on route 39 from PV for a shot at some Koke's or Splake.
Also might hit Causey for those monster tiger trout! Dizzy, are you sure that you want me as a guinea pig on Causey? ;D  I might bring back some pretty big fish stories. J/K
 Thanks guys.

Offline kdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Try Scofield.  We had great success there this weekend.  Lots of little Cuts, but the action was non stop.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Thought I better return and report the trip.
Sun. Rockport
fished in 40-60fow most fish came in at 15' down and a few on bottom.
Mon. Scofield
fished in 15-30fow All cutts. If I remember right, most fish were within the bottom 5'
Tue. Pineview and Mantua
Thought Pineview was going to be a breeze. I was wrong... slow. Finally sent the camera down to see what was going on. On the way down, I saw a tiger at about ten feet off of the bottom. Thought that might be part of my problem with the slow bite... who knows?
On the bottom I saw and caught a few dink perch. My fishing partner had lost all patience. We decided to split and head to Mantua. Before I could reel up, he had all my gear packed and headed off the ice.
Mantua: I have never fished here before and after the slow fishing above, my confidence was lacking to say the least. The lake was packed and we headed toward the crowd. Not wanting to be rude, we kept our distance... all the while I was thinking that the grass sure looked green over there. Drilled about ten holes and fished them until we found a few holes that would produce. The fish were as light biting as I have ever seen. ( I have never caught a gill through the ice before.) Once I was confident we were over fish, I set up the tent and made a declaration of WAR on the fish! Dropped the camera down and it was GAME ON! What I saw was that for every fish we caught without the camera, we missed nine. You could watch them take in the hook on the camera and not even see a change in the line above the ice! (2# line &4mm. tungsten jig) Once we got into the groove, the fish didn't have a chance. Caught a 50/50 mix of perch and gills. saw one bass and one trout as well.
Tue. Clark Canyon Res. Montana (I-15 north of Idaho border)
caught a few trout with my uncle and hit the road for home.
all in all, a great trip!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Way to hit he road prospecter. Wish the fishin woulda been better for you at the view, it has been rather tough there this year. Atleast mantua worked for you guys them gills are plentiful in there as long as you can get on them. Itinerant has a good read about there which i found very informative if i ever decide to head over there for some hard water fishin. The kids love going there in the boat in the spring you just gotta fish the open pockets. I have had a friend of mine try to get me to hit clark canyon with him the last couple of years, i just havent done it yet. maybe one day
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Heard there was 30 tagged $$ fish in Rockport. True?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:11 PM »
It is true. They had a program on it on our local fishing show KSL outdoors with adam eakle. If you got to ksl.com then to the outdoor section you should be able to get all the info on it, I think they said top tag was going to be worth $2000, with lots of other outdoor gear and the such. They are puttin on a ice fishing clinic type of thing there soon also cant remember what the date was on it though, should be on the website
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Feb 4th, Adam Eakel and his outdoors utah is gonna be there, there are a couple other forums like BFT and UWN that are also meeting up there at rockport, i think they are gonna bring some kids up from the boys and girls club to show them what ice fishin is all about as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.