Author Topic: Utah Lake  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Utah Lake
« on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Got a late start yesterday, then got lost on the way to Lincoln Beach... as a result I didn't get on the ice until after 9am!  >:(

The good news is that the ice in the Lincoln Beach estuary was a solid 7 inches and the bay was frozen as well. A few guys took snowmobiles out across the bay and all made it back safely... couldn't tell if they were fishing or joyriding though.

The main lake looked like a mish-mosh of snow covered ice chunks, but frozen as far as I could see. Looked like rough sledding though even if safe.

Action was slow for me... marked a good number of fish, but struggled to get bites. Landed a handful of White Bass up to 11.5" and another group of guys were slowly putting together a nice mixed bag of panfish.

Next time I'll either get there prior to first light, or hit the afternoon/evening bite... you know, now that I know where it is!  ;D

Nice day on the ice... partly cloudy, 16-20* F, and calm... maybe too nice.  ;)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Utah Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:19 PM »
nice dizzy! on my way to fish lake, I will have to try Utah lake. wouldn't mind a guide ;D

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:31 AM »
About time dizzy!  ;D
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:28 PM »

nice dizzy! on my way to fish lake, I will have to try Utah lake. wouldn't mind a guide ;D

You and me both… Utah Lake is supposed to be the largest freshwater lake this side of Lake Superior and I got lost TWICE trying to find it on Saturday!  ::)

Seriously though, it was my first time there and I'm not sure where the best place to fish it would be. I might try the state park next time just because it would shave about 15-20 minutes off the drive.

About time dizzy!  ;D

Yeah tell me about it… my wife says I’m much nicer to be around now that I’m back fishing again.  ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:18 PM »
I'm looking at heading to Utah again tomorrow afternoon, but hopefully a closer access point to me this time than Lincoln Beach... does anyone know if there are restrictions, seasonal closures, etc. at any of the following access points?

1) Lakeview State Park (Provo River Inlet)

2) Lindon Boat Harbor (Bubble Up Inlet)

3) Sarasota Springs

4) Pelican Point/Goose Point

1, 3, and 4 look very interesting on the topo map... #2 is in the mix based on proximity alone.

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon and get set up for panfish, then stay until dusk/dark with the lantern... not sure though if these access points close at a certain hour, or if they're even open during winter.

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Provo state park is open.  They charge a fee.  Most people fish right around the docks of the inner harbor.

Lindon is also open, fee I think.
American Fork boat harbor is also open, fee I think

Sarasota Springs is in Florida and probably does not have safe ice. ;D
Saratoga Springs on UT lake has access problems and warm springs that can cause thin spots.  But many fish near the pumphouse for panfisn and do well.

I don't know about Pelican or Goose points.

There are warm springs on the North side of Lincoln Point, so be careful near there.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Provo state park is open.  They charge a fee.  Most people fish right around the docks of the inner harbor.

Lindon is also open, fee I think.
American Fork boat harbor is also open, fee I think

Sarasota Springs is in Florida and probably does not have safe ice. ;D
Saratoga Springs on UT lake has access problems and warm springs that can cause thin spots.  But many fish near the pumphouse for panfisn and do well.

I don't know about Pelican or Goose points.

There are warm springs on the North side of Lincoln Point, so be careful near there.

Ah yes, SaraTOGA Springs is what I was looking for... thanks!  ;D

"FEE'S?"... well I guess I'll avoid those areas. Now I'm thinking that if I have to drive all the way to Lincoln Beach I may just as well head the other way to Pineview. I'll play it by ear I guess.

Thank you for the info A.I.  :tipup:

Offline rustrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I tried the state park this morning with very poor results... not even a bite in 3 hours.  There was one other guy there who caught one 4 inch white bass as I was leaving.  He said that was the only thing he had caught all morning.  It was just nice to get out though.  Any other areas of Lake producing?

Never be late to work, church, or fishing.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Went back to the harbor at Lincoln Beach tonight... near perfect weather to be out on the ice; light breeze, mostly cloudy, and 26* F.

What the catch lacked in quantity it made up for in quality as nearly every fish was a keeper with a handful of White Bass up to 12" and a pair of Yellow Perch in the 10-11" range. All were landed using a Kastmaster spoon with a waxworm-tipped Ratfinkee on the dropper.

The "happy hour" bite was a non-event with a few lazy "lookers" on the Vex, but not a single hook-up after sundown.

Ice was a solid 6" everywhere that I drilled... I may have to venture further out into the bay next time to do some exploring.

Pretty sky tonight...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:44 PM »
dizzy...my new guide! ;D nice sled man. post some more pics please. curiouse about all the pipes. (I am a plumber by trade) the perch sound way nice. white bass too...(never have caught/seen one. :( makes me miss my home fishing grounds! thanks again, Joe...ya, the plumber.
p.s. do you think the water is clear enough for a camera?

Offline rustrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:32 PM »
I tried out my new Cabela's Advanced Angler B&W camera while I was there.  The visibility was really low.  I could maybe see a foot or two.  If it touched the bottom, it would stir up enough mud to block your view altogether.  A guy might have better luck with a better camera, but probably not much considering how murky that lake is.  I took it to Deer Creek after that and had significantly better results, catching a bunch of fish and being able to watch them bite... pretty cool.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I tried out my new Cabela's Advanced Angler B&W camera while I was there.  The visibility was really low.  I could maybe see a foot or two.  If it touched the bottom, it would stir up enough mud to block your view altogether.  A guy might have better luck with a better camera, but probably not much considering how murky that lake is.  I took it to Deer Creek after that and had significantly better results, catching a bunch of fish and being able to watch them bite... pretty cool.
thanks for the info. high dollar cameras in my opinion do not "see" any better than the less expensive units. to me, it is all the bells and whistles than make the high dollar ones easier to use. my two cents... what did you catch at deer creek? later, Joe

Offline rustrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I just stopped by for an hour before dark and caught 5 rainbows between 13 and 15.  I talked to another guy who landed a pretty good-sized brown.  It wasn't hot and heavy but pretty consistent. 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:39 PM »
nice work ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:16 PM »
dizzy...my new guide! ;D nice sled man. post some more pics please. curiouse about all the pipes. (I am a plumber by trade) the perch sound way nice. white bass too...(never have caught/seen one. :( makes me miss my home fishing grounds! thanks again, Joe...ya, the plumber.
p.s. do you think the water is clear enough for a camera?

You asked, and you got it prospector! This sled is a plumber's dream (or nightmare).

For starters I purchased the smallest size Jet Sled, and built the rest. Here’s the stern showing the rod holders and open storage underneath where I throw my auger, scoop, spud bar, etc. Also I like to keep a line in the water at all times; hence the lower left rod holder for “dead-sticking” during lunch.

This is the starboard view where you can see the piano-hinged, semi-dry storage area beneath the cooler. The cooler is held in place via quick-release strap for transport but removes easily to double as a seat while jigging. The handle is made of PVC and makes pulling it quite comfortable even in deep snow.

Portside view showing the center-mounted Vexilar flasher and aft tackle storage box. The transducer cup swings outboard of the sled and has a large hole to allow water to drain off (and outside of the sled). The flasher is locked down through the eyebolt with a hand-tightened knob.

The structure is made out of 3/4” PVC pipe… light weight, very strong, very rigid, easily modified, and overall very easy to work with.

The decks are 1/2” plywood painted Petty blue (1970 Plymouth Superbird Petty blue to be exact) and fastened to the structure with thru-bolts and wing nuts.

The posts are thru-bolted to the sled with 1” facia board to take up the gap between the structure and the angled sled walls. I kept them up off the sled floor by about 1/8" - 1/4" for two reasons; first any water that gets into the tubing can drain out, and secondly to keep the posts from wearing through the floor of the sled.

My lantern case also straps to the rear uprights for night fishing. I don’t fish with tip-ups but they could easily strap to the rear uprights as well if needed.

It’s been in this current form for about 6 seasons now and has worked out for me very well. Compact, lightweight, and easy access to everything I need.

As far as the White Bass go, I have never caught/seen one either (being from eastern PA)... but they seem to be pretty cooperative and as my wife and I found out tonight... absolutely delicious.  ;)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:21 PM »
dizzy, thank you very much! wow!  :o nothing better than American ingenuity. perfect your skills on those bass. where in the water column do they hang out? have you ever been to fish lake? I am planning a trip. (12 hr. drive for me) oh well, takes me back to the good old days. (high school) thanks again,wow again. ;)

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Sweet rig for sure, thanks for sharing your pics and story.

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Well I am going to try to go out on Sunday.  Are there any suggestions on where to go.  I am from out of state going to a school here in slc.  Also can you use live minnows here and where can you buy some?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Well I am going to try to go out on Sunday.  Are there any suggestions on where to go.  I am from out of state going to a school here in slc.  Also can you use live minnows here and where can you buy some?
No.  You cannot use live minnows anywhere in Utah. 

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline nomadic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Tried out Utah Lake today for the first time.  Fished the docks at the state park boat ramp in Provo and a little way out onto the lake.  No bites at all in 4 hours, tried a few different presentations and about 10 holes, didn't see anyone catch anything either.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:57 PM »
did you go? how was it? thanks

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:00 PM »
is there any ice left? we are warm in Wyoming, cant imagine you guys.

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:33 AM »
I went out and got board, i did not have my flasher...fished shallow waters and did not have a bite so I moved up to deer creek and had a couple bites.  No fish. but better than sitting in town!!

Offline nomadic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I went out and got board, i did not have my flasher...fished shallow waters and did not have a bite so I moved up to deer creek and had a couple bites.  No fish. but better than sitting in town!!

Couldn't agree with that more.  I went up and fished the river in the canyon yesterday, no fish but had enough small nibbles to keep me going for a few hours.  Going to try Strawberry this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.