Author Topic: Really ready for reelin'. Bait casting reels for lakers question.  (Read 2516 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Dear List;
I have a dozen Okuma Centrific spinning reels I use year round. In winter they tend to make a rats nest with the mono line I use.  I will continue to use it and not the fluro carbon for a few reasons.

I would like to get a nice relatively inexpensive bait reel for jigging up lakers.  Being new to bait casting reels, well  had a $5 one when I was a kid, I would like advice.

Star drag, lots of ball bearings, and a line counter that counts feet. Anything else I need to know to shop around and does anyone wish to name drop a good reel?   I would like something in the $50-80 range, since I am a beginner.  Any luck there?   I will be fishing for 10-30 pound fish and in water from 50-150 feet of water.  I don't need a reel that's state of the art high dollar until I decide if I like it or not with the bait caster.  I can see the advantages but could use some pointers on selecting the size and price range that will make me a believer.
Thanks in advance. Oh, I do have a fleabay account so shopping there is an option.
Thread killer

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
Let me start by first saying that I've never fished for Lakers, so my post is coming from a completely different view.

Star drag, lots of ball bearings, and a line counter that counts feet.

The problem with this is that all casting reels have star drags and that the amount of ball bearings doesn't make a reel better or worse. A line counter could be bought separately, so while it would be nice to have on a reel; Don't let it limit you to what reel you choose.

I think the first thing you want to do is cross low profile casting reels off your list. The reason I say this is because you mentioned you fished from 50 to 150 feet of water. Most low-profile casting reels max out of line capacity at about 150 feet, if even. Round casting reels hold alot more line than their low-profile brethren.

So now you have your price range and are down to round reels. Good brands to look into are Daiwa, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Quantum, and Pfluger. That's me just naming brands off the head; I'm quite biased towards Daiwa as that's what I use for all my casting reels for bass fishing. But you're looking at a completely different beast.

That's as much info as I can think of. Again, this is my opinion as a non lake trout fisherman. So obviously, guys with experience chiming in would be best.

Hope this helps any!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'ma learning fast, thank you for the post.  Round not low profile~learn something every day. Okuma spinning reels are my favorite, I will look there first while I window shop.
Thanks again!
Thread killer

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
It's a tough to say for sure...I use baitcast reels but for panfish and 'eyes.  I'm using the Citica 200E for both my walleye rods.  I've not been able to hook into a laker yet, but will try again this year.  If I had to pick a regular round reel I would use a Shimano Cardiff in a 200 or 300.  Only becuase I have good experience with the Cardiff 400A already.  It's looking at over $100.

For under $100 I know Abu Garcia has been a preference of many others who like them for budget value purpose for Musky and Pike fishing, either a C3 or C4 reel.  It will get the job done, but I find them a tad slow and not quite as smooth under a load.  Plus I prefer to have a casting thumb bar, but these reels don't have it.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good morning;

I went to a store today, and fell in love with a Penn 320GT2, it  holds 300+ yards of 15 pound line, it's a winch that's human powered!

It is actually made for up to 40 pound fish in salt water.  It won't cast well but has a superior drag, and will jig and land big fish,

and with no problem on line twisting in cold weather.

No kidding, my first level wind and a Penn.   Human powered winch.  $85, good price too.

I put it on a 4 foot medium heavy rod. I am happily expectant that the first 10+ pound lake trout out of the gorge will be a blast!

Retrieve rate is 4:3:1 but it pulls 25" per handle turn.  For any of you freshwater guys that never held a Penn, it's a REAL MACHINE.

If it weighed 50 more pounds I'd get a motor and put it on my truck bumper.  I'll try to get a picture soon.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thread killer

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
Way to go man, glad you found something you liked. I Googled the reel, and MAN does that thing look like a machine!

Thanks for the PM by the way, I'd love the opportunity to fish for lakers, I'm not even sure if there are any in Lake Ontario or not? Could have been under my nose this whole time and I didn't even know it.

Good luck with the reel, be sure to get some pics of the first fish with it.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Way to go man, glad you found something you liked. I Googled the reel, and MAN does that thing look like a machine!

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for the PM by the way, I'd love the opportunity to fish for lakers, I'm not even sure if there are any in Lake Ontario or not? Could have been under my nose this whole time and I didn't even know it.

Good luck with the reel, be sure to get some pics of the first fish with it.

No photo taken, because I got a 29 inch ling this morning, first fish...I then continued the trend with a 24 incher.  No lake trout today for me.
I also bought a pair of Okuma's, a pro magda 20 and a pro magda 45, ...it's a horse!
Both have line counters and I love that feature!
Fish finder says bottom at 60, reel counter says 60, fish finder says fish at 52, crank up reel 4 turns, counter says 52...fish on!

The big Penn (well, to me it's big, 320 GT), it makes manly-man sounds when one filps the metal levers, the clicker makes loud clicker sounds like the one on the Jaws movie.  Fish fear me now!
Thread killer

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
I went with Abu C4s on my deep water laker rigs.  I use a superbraid with a 10' - 15' foot flouro leader, either 12# or 15#.  I have been very happy with my two set-ups as well.  Have fun playing in deep water. 

Chris Raymond

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
I went with Abu C4s on my deep water laker rigs.  I use a superbraid with a 10' - 15' foot flouro leader, either 12# or 15#.  I have been very happy with my two set-ups as well.  Have fun playing in deep water. 

Ditto. Lighter weight, plenty smooth, thumb bar, nice drag, and got the 5600 to match my 6600 c4 boat trolling outfit for 60 bucks new on fleabay.  Made in Sweden, the wire line leveler doesn't ice up out of the hut like the ones with a little hole.  Will use this summer on the boat as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.