Author Topic: keweenaw Bay  (Read 6711 times)

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
keweenaw Bay
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:23 AM »
half dozen or more tents off the willow tree at head off the head of bay.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: keweenaw Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the update. Really hoping these warmer temps and winds won't mess it up, hoping to get out there next week.

Edit: forecast for the next 10 days (bound to change) not looking too bad. Some warmer temps but not a lot of wind and most of the time below freezing.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:15 AM »
reports I got ice varies from 2-5 inches  5 by willow and 2 by red rocks

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Thanks. We'll keep the fingers crossed that the ice keeps building. I've never lived on this side of the UP and am not experienced with how K-bay acts - really hoping I can get out there but am afraid it might break up at any moment!

Offline Binger6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Temps are projected low 30s - high 20s for the next 10 days or more.. from my experience in the UP that won’t build much ice. Hell, it might not even sustain much ice. Hope the forecast shifts!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Yeah.... forecast isn't exactly what I would hope for...

Offline newbyonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:52 AM »
Any ice reports for the inland lakes?

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:47 AM »
buddy just sent me video at head of bay ice all broke up and heaving

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Ohhnooooo

Was afraid that would happen. Thanks for the report

Offline atallgiraffesgf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Heard people were out fishing this morning. Hopefully without a strong wind the ice stays and holds up to fish on this week!

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:21 AM »
will be checking it the next few days cause have a week off next week and hope to be out on it

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2020, 12:07 PM »
Appreciate your updates. Plan on checking Tuesday - if all is good might be out there several days this week.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:41 PM »
well mixed report from guys at work. most said first 25 yards of ice is broken and moving but after that good ice. there were 5-6 people out on it at 11 am this morning and more heading out as I drove past. so I guess proceed with caution

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2020, 07:03 PM »
We were out today. A little sketchy right at shore, step in the wrong place and you'll be wet! Just use your spud to figure out where not to step, haha. We didn't find anything less than 3 inches of ice. Bit of slush and water on top but that should solidify next day or two.

Had an exciting couple of hours: dropped my girlfriends phone to the bottom! >:(

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2020, 04:24 PM »
Was out again today. A little bit more ice but could still find spots with about 3 in.

When we got out at about 1:30 there was a half a dozen shacks off of Waterstone (is this what people call Red Rocks?) and another few by the willow tree and a few by the Baraga marina as well, but by 4:30 everybody was gone except for us. Maybe they know something we don't know?

We did catch a few Menominee but didn't see much else on the camera so maybe it's just that nobody was having any luck.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2020, 10:49 AM »
just drove around head of bay atleast 50 people from Red Rocks to willow and another 20 behind BP

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:19 PM »
A ton of people on the bay when we got on at 1. Maybe less than what you saw this morning. Many people leaving or gone around 2. Must be that most people fish it early. Perhaps we should take a hint.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Slow on the bay today. Creel guy out and said reports are that fishing is slow for just about everyone.

Nobody off of the marina, probably because of fear of ice blowing out.

A few shacks at willow tree and red rocks.

Talked to a guy who said all the ice by the mouth of the river in L'anse is all broken up.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Where do you guys fish for burbot on K-bay?

We stayed a bit after dark today off of red rocks in about 40 FOW and didn't have any bites. I've really only ever fished burbot on Munising Bay where we'd start getting bites at twilight in 30-40 FOW off of Sand Point.

Offline randerson5103

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:44 AM »
I have done well off of squaw beach in like 60 FOW. I don't think there is any ice that far out yet though.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Which one is squaw beach? Have come across that a few times on the forums but can't figure it out.

Offline randerson5103

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2020, 02:41 PM »
It is the beach that is at sand point lighthouse.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Thanks!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:25 AM »
sodaboy, trying to message you but your inbox is full!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:54 PM »
I know it's hard to predict and dependent on other factors such as ice thickness, but when do you guys start worrying about the wind on K-bay or Huron Bay?

We've been pretty cautious with south and SW winds as we're really not familiar with how the ice acts in these bays, last thing we want is to end up stranded on a drifting sheet of ice! However, sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on some fishing opportunity. After all, even with all the warm weather the ice hasn't blown out... yet (gale force winds coming up here, eh?)

Offline Lake Bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Unless the ice is locked in, it would be in your best interest to be cautious with the south/south west winds. I know some guys that had their permanent shanties off squaw beach a few years back, good 6 plus inches when they hauled them out, next day they went to fish and ice had broken up and they lost all their gear and shanties. As much as I like to fish, as I'm getting older I think I'm either getting smarter or a little more of a chicken s#@t ! LOL.  Be safe!!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:24 AM »
That's about how I feel about it, I've heard the stories and read the old threads on the forums!

Winds that were forecasted today are enough to keep me off the ice but it sounds like nobody else really worries about it...

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:30 AM »
I know it's hard to predict and dependent on other factors such as ice thickness, but when do you guys start worrying about the wind on K-bay or Huron Bay?

We've been pretty cautious with south and SW winds as we're really not familiar with how the ice acts in these bays, last thing we want is to end up stranded on a drifting sheet of ice! However, sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on some fishing opportunity. After all, even with all the warm weather the ice hasn't blown out... yet (gale force winds coming up here, eh?)

It is better to miss out on a fishing opportunity than to miss out on breathing. I don't know if it is still searchable but there was a story on here a number of years ago about guys fishing on Copper Harbor. If I remember correctly they had 18" of ice when they started and the wind broke it all up in a few hours.
Be careful, be safe, have fun.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Lots of people out today, we had no luck.

Some people off of sand point. The black ice near the marina was pretty solid when we went out, but the sun and warmth really did a number. A few hours later, when we left, first couple inches was pretty much just slush. Went from 4 spud hits to 1.5.  Be careful out there, especially if you're headed out tomorrow. With the forecast I'm not convinced that stuff is going to refreeze.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Anybody been out there in the last few days? What is the ice like?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.