Author Topic: Snow Dog  (Read 3019 times)

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
Snow Dog
« on: Feb 06, 2023, 09:26 AM »
I know most Colorado Lakes don't allow ATVs or Snow machines, but does anyone know if they allow Snow Dogs ?  I think it would help get around easier and be able to fish more but it's pretty spendy if you can't use it many places. I'm mostly interested in lakes close to Colorado Springs, like Eleven mile, Antero, and Chatfield.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2023, 12:39 PM »
There is a guy that takes his out on Cherry Creek all the time, pretty sure it's illegal there

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:45 PM »
My guess is if CPW doesn’t allow snowmobiles, etc. on a certain body of water, Snowdogs wouldn’t be allowed either. “Motorized Vehicle”? 
I would check with CPW for clarification.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:46 PM »
I fished last week at Ft. Peck MT and the two fellas in the room next door at the motel were from Colorado (Conifer and Evergreen).  They each had snowdogs which they made from discarded snowmobiles.  I asked the same question and they both said there was no way they would try to take them out on CO lakes and risk Denver (or Aurora or...) Water placing even more restrictions on water access.  Very considerate of them.  They looked pretty cool when they mushed past my hut and they said they hit a top speed of about 11 mph.  Pretty darn cool.  I truly don't get the restrictions on sleds or snowdogs.  I mean, a two stroke motor throws out a lot more pollutants than either (a boat can troll all day but a sled or snowdog only are used to get from Point A to Point B). Way less opportunity to pollute....but it only takes one...I get it.

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2023, 12:16 PM »
Yeah. i saw a few at the Burbot Bash at Flaming Gorge a few weekends ago and a guy that had one said it only weighed about 250 lbs  and would go up to about 20 mph and could travel on 3 inch of ice. kind of makes sense because you don't sit on it like a snow machine or ATV that your weight is more distributed. It didn't seem to put out more exhaust than a gas auger. It would really open up the lake to you.  I'm not even sure what the reason is they don't let you use motorized vehicles. Is it pollution, risk of falling thru? I've heard in other places they just impose a fine if you break thru which puts it on the user. and what if you had some kind of air bag system to keep it floating so it wouldn't sink. as think as eleven mile gets i really don't think it's much of a risk except in the very early and late ice seasons.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:09 PM »
The two fellas at Ft. Peck mentioned they were also at Flaming Gorge. Maybe you spoke to one of them but they definitely said their machines would only go about 11mph - still better than walking and pulling.

Offline Broll89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:15 PM »
good chance if ur asking if something is legal in colorado, it isn't... unless it's smoked. also a good chance the people who you would call to ask about said legality couldn't guess the right answer if u paid em.   you won't know till you get a ticket. making rules to make rules bud. funny how everyone goes to other states to catch fish, where the regs are lax to say the least, and they are all way the hell bigger, badder, better. those fish must be chomping down on mudsnails and zebra muscles. #anabolic aquatic nuisance   ;D

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2023, 05:19 AM »
Hello CO. fellow snow dog user here. I absolutely love my snow dog. Best fishing rig I’ve ever owned. I’ve had snowmobile’s and ATVs. This thing takes the cake. Here in Maine you can drive anything you want on the ice. But if it goes through, you will pay dearly. The fine goes by how long it’s under the ice.
Stay on the dry side of the ice.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2023, 07:50 AM »
My guess is if CPW doesn’t allow snowmobiles, etc. on a certain body of water, Snowdogs wouldn’t be allowed either. “Motorized Vehicle”? 
I would check with CPW for clarification.

I thought the whole purpose of the snowdogs is that they exploit a loophole in that they technically aren't vehicles since you don't ride on/in them, allowing people to use them on lakes that don't allow "vehicles".

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2023, 09:26 AM »
We have to register them as a snowmobile or atv. Some states don’t require registration, because you don’t ride on it.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline Broll89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2023, 10:55 PM »
heads up if ur new to CO. be sure to also register any bowns before they get flushed.  ;D

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2023, 03:56 PM »
Hell, you have to register a sail board. They consider the sail a motor.

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2023, 09:06 AM »
Seriously? I have a kayak and since it's not motorized i don't have to register in CO, but do have to get an ANS stamp in wyoming.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.