Author Topic: lowrance hds 7 carbon/ ai 3 in 1 transducer ice fishing  (Read 1101 times)

Offline fugly1

• IceShanty Rookie
Guys: I need some help here, i purchased a new to me lowrance hds carbon 7  with a AI 3 in 1 transducer, my question is i want this to be my dedicated ice fishing rig and was wondering if i can use the 3 in 1 transducer rigged up with a rod to keep it horizontal and will it give me better resolution and the fish reveal   as opposed to buying the "ice fishing" WBL transducer? am i losing a lot ? 

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: lowrance hds 7 carbon/ ai 3 in 1 transducer ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Should be the same, the WBL transducer can only be narrowed down to 20 degrees and no CHRIP. I believe the 3-1 can be narrowed down more in high CHRIP. Only downside I see would be a fish wrapping around the ducer and hole hoping since the transducer is so big.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2020, 03:06 PM »
isn't fish reveal reliant on the di? meaning it only works with the narrow front to back, wide left to right di beam....which wouldn't work very well being stationary on the ice?

Catchin' Fish

Offline fugly1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2020, 03:31 PM »
Thanks guys, i know the 3 in 1 is huge and would need a dedicated hole and may not be worth the grief, this is a huge upgrade from my hook5 ice machine and am so looking forward to the ice!! i will be ordering the WBL ice transducer soon

Offline fugly1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2020, 03:34 PM »
Thanks guys, i know the 3 in 1 is huge and would need a dedicated hole and may not be worth the grief, this is a huge upgrade from my hook5 ice machine and am so looking forward to the ice!! i will be ordering the WBL ice transducer soon

Offline Blitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2020, 08:22 AM »
I plan to try this with the Totalscan transducer this season. I saw in a video posted recently to use side scan to aid the search for fish and structure. I already the ice transducer for my Lowrance.

Offline fugly1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Blitz: That is what i was thinking too, using Side scan to check out on either side of my pop up,this side scan is all new to me so there will be a big learning curve but not being in motion may make it easier to understand when fish appear, although i think  i would need a full 10 inch hole to get the ducer down horizontally

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2020, 05:33 PM »
side scan isn't going to work on ice while the transducer is stationary

Catchin' Fish

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I have a 7" HDS Live that i run and did try my active imaging transducer. It wasn't worth the hassle of lugging it around vs the normal ice ducer. That said i'd love to get the livesight...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.