New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Tip ups or tip downs  (Read 8424 times)

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip ups or tip downs
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:22 AM »
Gadam hillbilly fishermen and their coat hanger sets. You the man percheyes, you the man. Gimme  a call bud, I need to fix this fishing jones. 

:-)   :tipup:

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2007, 06:20 AM »
my brother made some with small pvc pipe for the stick 1/2 or 3/4 very compact you can stick a bunch of them in a sleeve of bigger pipe.They are great for trips with alot of people especially kids we set out a ton and let the kids chase em
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:45 PM »
I know this was discussed last year, and I can't find the right thread...are tip-downs considered hand lines or tip-ups? 
I love a flag!!!!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2007, 04:17 PM »
I know this was discussed last year, and I can't find the right thread...are tip-downs considered hand lines or tip-ups? 
i've wondered that my self.
i think i read something about free-wheeling versus a drag system being the difference.
i've had the DEC check my stuff a couple times and nothing was said about my tipdowns.
well, actually the back side does tip up!!

since i went to tiipdowns, my catch has improved  30-50%, for panfish.
tipups are better for larger game fish, i think
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2007, 04:20 PM »
i've wondered that my self.
i think i read something about free-wheeling versus a drag system being the difference.
i've had the DEC check my stuff a couple times and nothing was said about my tipdowns.
well, actually the back side does tip up!!

since i went to tiipdowns, my catch has improved  30-50%, for panfish.
tipups are better for larger game fish, i think
Right on the Money.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2007, 06:45 PM »

These are my home made tipdowns Work pretty well.

This is my Home Made compact tipup (sort of)
Thesework well also.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:48 AM »
We used to make tip downs with the boyscouts as a fund raiser.... But honestly with the newer tipups and really fine trip mechanisms/adjustable drags, I find tipups to be the only thing other than a jigging stick to be in my bucket!  I do have a good friend who is a terrible shot with his bow.... bent/destroyed arrows make great tip downs too!   

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #37 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I use tipups for perch,i use 4lb line for a leader.The funny thing is when i'm after perch with tipups i will usally catch a pike or pickerell on that lite leader.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:14 AM »
tip ups lose to many perch i believe that when it tips up it pulls the bait out of their mouths
pike and bigger caliber fish maybe not so much
with tip downs there should be no pressure on the bite i just think i witnessed more fish will return bite a second time
on tip downs

Offline dbsturd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Just reading your post and it makes me laugh at these guys that have never tried tip-downs but they still think they won`t work. I do prefer tip-downs for smaller pan fish like perch and crappie but if you are catching jack perch or eyes I prefer tip-ups

Offline newiceking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Just reading your post and it makes me laugh at these guys that have never tried tip-downs but they still think they won`t work. I do prefer tip-downs for smaller pan fish like perch and crappie but if you are catching jack perch or eyes I prefer tip-ups
The same here dbsturd. :icefish:
[img]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/MeatHuter737/l_2daa0c58421d4e89949b42784be7c9c7.jpg/img]

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:45 PM »
its the only thing i use on lake erie   :tipup:  bigfish

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Hard to beat tip downs for Crappie fishing.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 01, 2008, 03:59 AM »
Its hard to beat tip downs for crappie, perch, walleyes, pretty much you name it through the ice, excpet for pickerel and pike!  I think people are afraid to try new stuff, and realize how much they lost due to those tip ups in the past.  I iced over 50 fish the last time i was out with my tip downs and jigging rod.  The 2 guys i went with were using tip ups, and got 4 between the two of them.  Thats a hint to the ones hesitant to try them!

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 01, 2008, 11:17 AM »
Its hard to beat tip downs for crappie, perch, walleyes, pretty much you name it through the ice, excpet for pickerel and pike!  I think people are afraid to try new stuff, and realize how much they lost due to those tip ups in the past.  I iced over 50 fish the last time i was out with my tip downs and jigging rod.  The 2 guys i went with were using tip ups, and got 4 between the two of them.  Thats a hint to the ones hesitant to try them!
I dont know about tip downs for walleye, I almost lost one of mine last week down the hole to a perch, mabye your's are heavier duty than mine though.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 01, 2008, 12:38 PM »
My tip downs are home made of oak,have a swing out cross bar that keeps the fish from pulling them down the hole.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:18 PM »
My tip downs are home made of oak,have a swing out cross bar that keeps the fish from pulling them down the hole.

Thats a great idea, mabye I can do a retrofit on mine. :)

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:32 PM »
I have some really light ones, and a pair slightly heavier duty ones.  I have had a few almost go down the hole
on both big perch and a few eyes.  They almost jumped off the base, and i have been tryin to think of a way to make them more stable, but a loose reel helps a lot. 

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I have just completed two home-made tip-downs. I thought I had seen a post some time ago about how to set your line. I am using the basic ice reels on the rods. How do you guys set the line? Do you use the line stop inserted through the reel or do you just let it free line?

I have used tip-ups for years for larger fish and was wanting to try tip-downs for crappie and gill.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I've just found that i get a lot less "disappearing" minnows when using the tip downs for eyes than
i do while using tip ups.  I can see when the fish are playing with my bait.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 01, 2008, 01:38 PM »
If you are talking about the little ht reels that are like 2 bucks a pop, those are what i use. 
I never use the pegs, i just leave the spools to spin with a little tension on them after they
drop down, to help keep my gear.   ;D   When i go to them, i just grab the spool a tad with
my hand while i lift up slightly.  You don't have to lift hard to set the hook with them.

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:04 PM »
for perch I have a wing-nut that i tighten the reel with, so i just lift up on the pole.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2008, 05:08 AM »
Thanks snowman and Irish  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:38 AM »
I've just found that i get a lot less "disappearing" minnows when using the tip downs for eyes than
i do while using tip ups.  I can see when the fish are playing with my bait.
The reason for the disappearing minnow, I believe, is that when you set up your tipup you have the bait suspended with a sinker of some sort to get it down there. When a fish hits the minnow, it trips the flag and releases the reel. This, in turn, lets the sinker drop. Which pulls the bait downward out of the fishes mouth. It doesn't happen every time because sometime the fish has got the bait deep enough in its mouth. but if he's just barely got it, it will just have the minnow and not the hook. With that being said, I prefer tipdowns for smaller fish and walleyes. Walleyes don't usually run like a pike does. I've never lost a tipdown through the hole fishing for walleyes. Read back a couple of pages and look at flags a flyin's tipdowns. That's the style I use. I've never used the wooden dowel style, so I can't speak for how they will perform for walleyes.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline honeoyejig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Easy is not necessarily more productive.  The tip-down's I made are super sensitive.  I got tired of losing fish, once they felt tention of the tip-up they would drop the bait.  Doesn't happen with tip-downs.  And yes, they definitely work for trout.
how do you make them i would like to make some could you tell me how.  thanks, honeoyejig

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:53 PM »
depends wat u fish for...tip ups we use for pike walleye....tip downs for crappie and the good ole lake erie perch
ice fishing for life

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but, what exactly is a "Tip Down"?

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 05, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Look back to page 2 of this thread. There is one style pictured there.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 05, 2008, 06:40 PM »

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Tip downs are generally used for panfish I assume?  That's the first time I've ever seen a tip down.  Pretty cool though.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.