New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Oneida Lake bs thread  (Read 278838 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Oneida Lake bs thread
« on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:16 PM »
well a friend asked me to get one started so have at it boys and girls , I'm almost ready for the new season  ;D  

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: Oneida Lake bs thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:32 PM »

WWHHAATTTSSSUUUUUUUUPPPPPPP..!!!!!! Freddy , you ready for another season old timer ?  ;D
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:40 AM »
this ol buzzard is getting everything around ,almost finished with the new hut ,few odds and ends left ,and order up some stuff ,I've gotta new look for the eyes this year ,the wolf just wasn't quite right !and more pics are in order this season

Offline Gutfish30

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I will be doing some fishing on Oneida lake this winter for the first time. Hope to catch some of them burbot. I have never got one of them before. Friend of my lives right next to Cedar lake by the golf course,what kind of fish are in that lake any one now?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:39 PM »
what do you normally fish for ?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I will be doing some fishing on Oneida lake this winter for the first time. Hope to catch some of them burbot. I have never got one of them before. Friend of my lives right next to Cedar lake by the golf course,what kind of fish are in that lake any one now?

Last year I jigged up a lawyer and my buddy Big Jim wasn't looking , he had just walked over to Slamboneys shanty to Bs , so I ran over and put it on his dead stick, yelled fish on and the pole went down the hole, he got it just in time after runnning about 100 yards, he was so mad when he seen what it was and we were all laughing at him, he thought he had a big wally....,,good times... ;D

Offline Gutfish30

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I fish for every thing and any thing, but i have never got one of these burbot every one talks about.I also want to see what they taste like.

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:37 PM »
wow didnt realize ya eat them i think there also called layars i always thought they were a garbage fish mushy strong!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:53 PM »
I am "vowing" to make more than one trip to Oneida this season. 
Got all my stuff together today; got the new trailer and ATV all rigged and ready.
Found one of them "plastic" burlap bags stuffed in the bottom of the shelter; think it was a donation from filetandrelease on my first trip to Oneida, last season.  8)

Offline Gutfish30

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:00 PM »
 You boil them for seven minits and then dip them in butter they taste like lobster so they say. in fact some people call them poor mans lobster. 8)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:50 PM »

They are tricky to fillet I tried last year , gave the fillets to a friend mixed in with walleye fillets, he must not have noticed a difference, he never said anything to me..

Really looking forward to spending a couple days out there this year with you FFP...Maybe Filet will let us reel a couple of his in this year..  :woot:

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Looking forward to another fine season boys!! Lets hope mother nature delivers some ARCTIC chills and just enough snow to make it look like winter!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Looking forward to another fine season boys!! Lets hope mother nature delivers some ARCTIC chills and just enough snow to make it look like winter!
   Well remember how warm it was all Spring and Summer, everyone was worried about super warm water temps , but now September through November have been equally cold and erased all of that , we are right on schedule now, let's hope it stays that way....See you at Rick's... ;D

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Here, here buddy!! CAN'T WAIT!!! :woot:

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Is Ricks the place that runs the shuttle for people go who do not have transportation out on the ice? If so, how does the procedure work?

thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Is Ricks the place that runs the shuttle for people go who do not have transportation out on the ice? If so, how does the procedure work?

thanks

I believe he does - Apps Landing.  Rick and Peggy are great folks - got to meet them last winter.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Trying to come up with a few trip ideas for this season. Is there a motel on Oneida that is snowmobile friendly? Meaning, is there one located on the lake or a trail so I could just hitch up the shelter and ride direct from the motel to the lake?

Offline Gutfish30

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2010, 04:44 PM »
cant help you on that one.this year will be my first time on lake Oneida. :)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Trying to come up with a few trip ideas for this season. Is there a motel on Oneida that is snowmobile friendly? Meaning, is there one located on the lake or a trail so I could just hitch up the shelter and ride direct from the motel to the lake?

Rick at App's Landing has a big lot for sled parking , right on the lake.....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:30 AM »
I recently purchase a snowmobile, mostly to shorten them long walks on Oneida Lake. Hoping to get out there this year and spend more time fishing than walking.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline father o millions

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:48 AM »
 Everything is in that lake,...and bubot r good,...we boil the back half of the fillet and it tastes like lobster. The perch r big,..the walleye r perfect and the panfish r big too.  There r big northerns and lots of pickerel. I caught a 5 pound brown this summer in cleveland ,....i'm itchin' 2 go ice fishin' but I still have some eyes to take with the waders before she freezes up., I can't wait to use my new gps,..Ice fishin' is gonna b a whole lot more productive this year.

Offline father o millions

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:02 AM »
  there's gonna b some ice somewhere soon up past old forge way. Any of you guys fish up there,...I'm lookin for a good place to go early, before oneida freezes and sandy pants ,..I mean pond freezes. Any info would b awesome,....where's ol' dead eyes

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:38 PM »
I am pumped this year for the perch bite, just got a Kawasaki Mule and a new Marcum LX-5, can't wait for the ice to come in. Last year was first year ice fishing, I moved away 20 years ago and have been back 5 years.  Look forward to meeting you regulars out there this year.

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:48 PM »
We,ll be up for a couple of trips this season ,first time to Oneida for us too but sounds like plenty of folks willing to help make it enjoyable. I do the same when I can. Can't wait to get away from the rat race down here.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline Looper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I posted this on the main page, but only got one reply (thanks Ice Labrador), I'll try again here since I was hoping for more feedback.  Just ignore me if you've seen this before.  :-)

BTW, when we got the house on Oneida Lake, I was hoping for good blogs on fishing reports and conditions.  I hope you all realize how much a newbie like me appreciates the effort you all make to share info.  Plus the back and forth banter is great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, last year was my first on Oneida Lake.  It froze up at the end of December, broke up after some warm rain and heavy winds and then froze over again.

For those of you who remember it, it was pretty amazing, the wind blew all the chunks of ice to the east end.  My house is on the south east side.  It was quite a show.

The problem with this was when it froze over again, the ice was a bumpy mess of frozen ice chunks which made the going rough and drilling with a hand auger real tough!  When I drilled the ice was especially tough to get through and you never could tell how many layers of ice were under it.

So, as I prepare for this season, my question is what to expect.  Is this typical for Oneida or was this a fluke last season?  I've used a hand auger for years, but if this is likely to happen again it might be time to invest in a gas one.

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2010, 12:57 PM »
I find this to be pretty typical for Oneida Looper. There usually is a good ( westerly) blow after an insignificant freeze up causing a tidy little deposit of ice chunks or sheets on the east end of the lake. The severity of this event is greatly influenced by two factors. #1 = ice thickness, and #2 = wind speed and duration. I've heard that in worst case scenarios, Ice bergs have been deposited in some lucky folks living rooms :o....!!! So with that, good luck, and pray for cold with no high winds!!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline Looper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2010, 06:48 AM »
I appreciate that info.  I heard about it on ice out, and I guess it's the same concept.  Got it.

Like you said, let's hope for cold and no wind.  It was rough going to start the season last year on the South East end.

L

Offline Gutfish30

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2010, 01:23 PM »
A friend of my lives near Oneida lake. I will be coming down there this winter and hope to fish on Oneida lake,and get some fish hopefully one of them burbot.My friend lives right next to cedar lake country club in Herkimer county .There is a lake or pound on it. does any one have any idea what is in there for fish. :-\

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:23 PM »
hey loop take a spud to move the selfs , it was a b>?<{ last year on the east end but as IA has said need cold weather and light wind but remember that lake lays east-west and pervailing winds are west- northwest, need a little luck

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2010, 05:33 PM »
We,ll be up for a couple of trips this season ,first time to Oneida for us too but sounds like plenty of folks willing to help make it enjoyable. I do the same when I can. Can't wait to get away from the rat race down here.

Last year was our first trip and we'll be back a couple times this year. What a monster of a lake, lots of fish and lots of area to fish. Recommend an atv or snowsled if you want to see even a small portion of the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.