Author Topic: M5 vs Flx 20  (Read 905 times)

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
M5 vs Flx 20
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Been noticing both these flashers on sale recently with the Marcum M5 slightly cheaper than the Vexilar Flx20. Given the choice between the 2, which would pick and why?  Would the Vex be worth the extra money than the Marcum? 
Thanks

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: M5 vs Flx 20
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:33 PM »
I prefer the display of the marcum's but the flx20 is also really good. 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:34 PM »
I absolutely loved my FLX-20, by far my favorite unit I've owned. I have since then upgraded to the LX7 and now the MX7, because I like the digital screens, nothing to do with functionality. I'll be getting the FLX-20 for my son when he's a year or 2 older. It has all the features I would consider "necessary" without the added bells and whistles that aren't really needed.

I don't know anything about the M5 for comparison, however.
Da Pack!

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:42 PM »
I own the M5. One thing I like about it is the dual beam transducer. You can switch the beam angle from 8° to 20° or vice versa at the push of the button. Very useful if you are fishing sharp breaks where you eliminate the dead zone. Another advantage is if you're fishing side by side with a buddy in a wheelhouse and you are picking up his jig on your screen. Switch it to narrow beam (8°) and you have a smaller area of coverage to focus. Dual beam also helps with de-cluttering your screen if you have a school of fish in an area or if there's a lot of zooplanktons on your screen. You focus on a smaller area and helps you dial in on the fish.

I have no experience with the FLX-20 but I'm sure it is a great unit. My friends are Vexilar fans and they've been running their units for years with no issues.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:28 PM »
FLX-20:  FLX three-color display technology / Night Mode/ Low Power mode / Ranges to 300 feet / Low power 6’ zoom option / three color display pallet selection/ Low Battery Alert display / Two zoom zones / 20 step IR settings/10-foot depth ranges to 40 feet / Target ID of less than ¼ inch / 525 lines of resolution/ 1,000 watts Peak to Peak /

M5: TrueColor patented MBC Brushless Lighting; 2500 Watt Peak to Peak Output Power; CONE ANGLE Dual Beam 8/20 Degree Ice Transducer; TARGET SEPARATION Down to 3/4-Inch; INTERFERENCE REJECTION Patented 12-Step Interference Rejection; ZOOM Patented Infinitely Adjustable Zoom (Zoom anywhere throughout the water column); CABLE 8 ft. Transducer Cable; ADDITIONAL FEATURES   Selectable Depth Ranges – 20′, 40′, 80′, 160′

So, I guess it really comes down to what you think is more important to you.  Like others have said - you can't go wrong with either of them. 

Me - I would take the M5 if I had the choice.  I really like the ability to adjust the zoom section wherever in the water column.  You also get the ability to adjust your zoom to either 5' or 10' zooms.  Although I really want the M7 as my next unit.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:40 AM »
FLX-20:  FLX three-color display technology / Night Mode/ Low Power mode / Ranges to 300 feet / Low power 6’ zoom option / three color display pallet selection/ Low Battery Alert display / Two zoom zones / 20 step IR settings/10-foot depth ranges to 40 feet / Target ID of less than ¼ inch / 525 lines of resolution/ 1,000 watts Peak to Peak /

M5: TrueColor patented MBC Brushless Lighting; 2500 Watt Peak to Peak Output Power; CONE ANGLE Dual Beam 8/20 Degree Ice Transducer; TARGET SEPARATION Down to 3/4-Inch; INTERFERENCE REJECTION Patented 12-Step Interference Rejection; ZOOM Patented Infinitely Adjustable Zoom (Zoom anywhere throughout the water column); CABLE 8 ft. Transducer Cable; ADDITIONAL FEATURES   Selectable Depth Ranges – 20′, 40′, 80′, 160′

So, I guess it really comes down to what you think is more important to you.  Like others have said - you can't go wrong with either of them. 

Me - I would take the M5 if I had the choice.  I really like the ability to adjust the zoom section wherever in the water column.  You also get the ability to adjust your zoom to either 5' or 10' zooms.  Although I really want the M7 as my next unit.

I thought that the FLX 20 could zoom to either 6 or 12' off bottom? Either way, I agree that being able to zoom in at any depth is really nice with the marcums. Especially this time of year when those basin crappies start suspending just below the ice.

The dual transducer is also super nice. The other weekend fishing at LOTW in 30+ fow with 4 guys in a shack, it was convenient to switch over to the 8 degree ducer so we only saw our half of the shack.

So considering those features, the M5 is sounding pretty good to me right now!
Da Pack!

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This was helpful.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:10 PM »
With the marcum having dual beam it should beat the vex out. Being able to narrow or widen a beam is very useful.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:17 PM »
whenever you get into a lake that has the evening shrimp hatch or whatever the heck is going on down there, narrowing the beam is extremely useful. 

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:32 AM »
Vex flx 20 owner, i agree the dual beam is a nice feature that i wish i had. One big factor from past experience (former Marcum owner)
is my vex turns on every time with no issues, lockups etc. My and lots of former Marcum owners have sent there units back mid season
to have it repaired "again". No thanks, happy to accept a well designed unit that works every time i turn it on.

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I ended up picking up the M5, as they were on sale and got a pretty good deal on it. Took it out last Sunday on the local lake at 24 ft and was impressed. The zoom feature is much better than  the ice 35, which I also own. Only negative is the display is kind of small.
Overall it seems like a quality unit. Just hope it will be reliable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.