Author Topic: New to Ice fishing and am buying a used flasher, which one?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Gnuff

• IceShanty Rookie
I found some flashers online for sale. Both around $300. I don’t know enough to make an educated purchase and am struggling to find the information I need online. My options are, a Vexilar fl-18, used lightly but old with a bad battery. Or a marcum m1, not sure how old it is, battery is fine. Which is better? I’m leaning towards the marcum just for the fact the battery works and the case is convenient. Any insight would be appreciated thank you!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Re: New to Ice fishing and am buying a used flasher, which one?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2019, 05:25 AM »
Believe you will be able to find a brand new Marcum M1 at that $300 price tag...maybe less before the season starts.
  Welcome to IceShanty Gnuff!   :thumbsup:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2019, 09:04 AM »
Hello Gnuff welcome to Ice Shanty. After seeing Masoneddie's post did a check on Vexilar's and Marcum's websites currently you  can get a reconditioned Vexilar Fl-18 Genz pack with 12 degree transducer for $349.99 plus shipping and taxes. Marcum has the M-1 with a 19 degree transducer listed at $359.99 plus shipping and taxes. Vexilars reconditioned units due come with a warranty these units may have been use by pro team members or sent in for repair whilel the flasher was still under warranty and Vexilar did an exchange sending out a new unit and then repairing the one sent in and now selling as reconditioned.Both of these flashers come with SLA (sealed lead acid batteries) believe you could find an SLA battery at Places like Tractor Supply company for around twenty five dollars make sure to get same voltage as current battery it is alright to increase the Amp hours(AH).

Here are links to Vexilar and Marcum's websites. Once you get a flasher check You Tube I know there are numerous Videos by Vexilar on flasher use/operation you might find helpful.

www.vexilar.com          www.marcumtech.com      I hope this is of some help to you keep a watch on the best deals thread you might see a deal posted about either flasher.

Have a safe and good ice fishing season
 Steve

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2019, 10:29 AM »
my vote is recondition from vexilar  fl 18  ;D they have warranties  ;D

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2019, 12:05 PM »
FL-8

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Check out Amazon...Marcum M-1 (Brand new), for $343 & change! Includes battery, charger and soft case.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Vex 18. Buy a new battery. Bench test it to make sure the transducer is good.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Electronics in my mind are dangerous to buy used because you can very easily inherit someone else's problem. I would go with a new m1. I have Marcum's old version of the m5 and I love it.

Offline thebigfresh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Hi. Have you considered a different style such as a Helix setup that can be for boat and ice?!  Big pros over cons for it in my opinion.  I love my Helix and can use it all year!
"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"
George S. Patton

Offline E.R.B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:13 PM »
I'm going to put my Helix 8 on ice too.Bought the transducer and the Marcum 30 ah lithium that should give me 30 hours on ice or boat.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Can't go wrong with either one, had the fl 18 and currently have the m1 love both of them. Only difference is just bottom zoom on the 18 and can zoom anywhere in the water column with the m1. Lp mode for shallow water on the 18 is nice also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.