Author Topic: Black Betty 6061  (Read 5097 times)

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black Betty 6061
« on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:40 AM »
I just got a Black Betty 6061 for a Christmas gift and they got me the RH model which makes sense because I'm right handed. However when I hold the reel as I would use it the handles on the wrong side or I have to reel backwards. Is this changeable or could they have miss printed Rh.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Black Betty 6061
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Right hand you reel with your right hand left hand you reel with your left hand

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Ok well its right then. But isn't that a strange way to do it. I mean the reel is set up as a spinning reel with the reel on the bottom normally right hand person reels with there left hand no. If the reel was on top like a bait caster or conventional style right hand reels with there right.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:44 PM »
No handle on the right is a right handed reel, handle on the left is a left handed no matter if its on top or underneath the rod....Some of us prefer a righty baitcaster and a lefty spinning....

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Thanks Esox. I guess I need a LH. I prefer jigging with my right hand.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Let me get this straight,I'm right handed,I reel all my reels with my left hand,counter clock wise,am I normal,or do I need to change my handles in order to reel correctly?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Do whatever works best for you, no set right or wrong way unless you reel a spinning reel backwards and upsidedown....

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Do whatever works best for you, no set right or wrong way unless you reel a spinning reel backwards and upsidedown....

You got that right, reeling upside down and backwards is a googan. LOL

The lineup of inlines has me conflicted as to which to get. I'm pretty sure I'll get the LH teardrop, reel with my left hand like a spinning reel. Some of the inlines, such as Frabill's, are just like a fly reel. I reel a fly reel with my right hand, rod in the left. It was the traditional way to do it when I learned as a kid, the fly reels came set up that way until about 20-25 years ago.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:53 AM »
There is a good video on youtube on how to change setups.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgceJ4Bjxsk
Blake from Elbow

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Same here Osage. And not to be insulting but I think this is normal. As when you usually buy a RH spinning reel you hold the rod with your right and reel with your left.

However when you buy a RH baitcaster  or a conventional reel for salt water were the reel goes on top of the rod you reel with your right hand. I never did understand that but thats the way it is.

So back to the 6061 it is designed to be used like a spinner under the rod so typically an RH model should be reeled with the left hand so the rod can be jigged with the right. This is not how this reel is. Mine is an RH model and you reel it with your right hand. Needless to say I am sending it back for an LH model. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:14 PM »
X2

I'm ambidextrous,  prefer LH Casting, Standard Spinning

Right hand you reel with your right hand left hand you reel with your left hand
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline carpslayer93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Let me get this straight,I'm right handed,I reel all my reels with my left hand,counter clock wise,am I normal,or do I need to change my handles in order to reel correctly?
don't change nothing,your fine as long as your comfortable! I'm right handed and reel left handed! When I fish lake Michigan all big reels are right handed!it's all personal preference.....
Tight lines...fish on!!

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:26 PM »
all you have to do is flip the AR bearing and you can spin the reel around so your handle is on the other side and you can reel like normal.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:16 PM »
all you have to do is flip the AR bearing and you can spin the reel around so your handle is on the other side and you can reel like normal.

Really. I may go that route.

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Here is the way it is.......... left hand (LH) is left hand retrieve, so if you reel with your left hand, it's a LH reel you need.  Right hand (RH) is right hand retrieve, so if you reel with your right hand, it's a RH reel you need, very simple.

No difference if your talking a baitcaster, spinning reel or one of these inline reels, the left or right refers to which hand you use to retrive.  For Shimano baitcasters for example, a 100/200/300 is a RH and the same reel in a 101/201/301 is a LH.  For spinning reels, as most manufactures go, are reversable so the handles can go on either side if the reel.

I retrieve all reels (whether top mounted baitcasters or bottom mounted spinning, inline or Teardrop) with my left hand, so my 2 BB 6061's are LH, my 2 Teardrops are LH.  My Shimano Curado Baitcasters for summer are all 201's and 301's.  What complicates things slightly, some guys switch reeling hands when using a baitcaster, they throw with their right and prefer to reel with their right, which means you have to transfer hands from throwing to reeling, I prefer to always use my left to retrieve.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I agree why switch hands in the air or whenever just keep the rod in your right hand and reel with your left!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:02 PM »
I swap mid cast with my baitcasters, cast with my right reel with my right, works for me and my muskie rods....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.