Author Topic: Michiana Shanty 2  (Read 99431 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Michiana Shanty 2
« on: Sep 16, 2009, 07:27 AM »
If you have read my post on the Michiana shanty, you will understand my new one. While sitting in the old one I had plenty of time to think about what I would like different. So I came up with a new Idea. I am making a double wide shanty. I have no Idea if it will even work. I will find out this season. Here are some progressive pictures as I go along.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Michiana Shanty 2
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Last nights work.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:17 AM »
That looks fantastic!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2009, 07:10 AM »
Thanks. I worked on the sled part for the second side. Its funny how much time little things take. I hope I can get as much use out of this thing as I am putting into it. I can say that I am not in any support groups or anything like em, I seam to be getting my fix from working on my shanty and posting the pictures :laugh:

Ready to start on the other side!

Offline dania1ff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2009, 07:15 AM »
That looks awsome, but wouldn't be little heavy on the ICE?? Looks good just becarefull.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2009, 07:23 AM »
The whole idea is, that it is not heavy. I am planning on using it by myself when necessary. I figure it will tip the scales just over 200 lbs. But you are right about filling it up with fishermen. I will have to wait for thicker ice to use it to its potential. But I won't be afraid to use it on 4 inches of ice. That's what I am making it for. Thanks for all the nice comments.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:23 AM »
I worked on the sled portion on the main part of the shanty. I still need to attach the board, with two bucket holes for the poles, to the top. I may leave the smaller one open for gloves and such, or make a hatch to access the space. Hopefully, most will understand how this shanty works the more picture I post. If you think I am posting to many let me know.  Also: I need to put the tow rope through before I go much farther. I had to wait to see how it balanced out before I new where to put it.

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:04 AM »
VERY NICE!!!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2009, 11:24 AM »
It looks awsome so far. And to many pics of a project? is there such a thing? Keep them coming I love seeing projects evolve. Keep up the good work and keeping us posted.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:07 AM »
Thanks Mud! Hopes its ready for the gathering. I put the tow rope in, but didn't get to take pictures cause it started raining. Did get the holes for my buckets though. ;D

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Just a reminder, or thought.....you may want to put some sort of latch connecting the 2 sled fronts so the snow doesnt push them apart tweaking the hinges shouldnt need more than 1 in front and 1 in back if it seems to be a problem, but i could see a bit of snow trying to force the small sled outward tweaking your connector board and hinges.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2009, 07:05 AM »
I have been thinking of this also. I thought about making a flap, or a piece of those blue roll up sleds the kids use, then let it hang down over the front to block the snow from going between the two halves. Probably would only need it if the snow was over 4 inches or so.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2009, 09:55 AM »
I was thinking of more like a gate latch....something that kinda locksthe 2 pieces together....yet looks good, one of those flip over latches that go on gates, and the fixed part spins to lock it....hate for you to cover up such artwork with a blue roll up sled :)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Got some wood cut for the walls and made all the windows. Windows are .030 lexan outside and .015 lexan inside, with a 3/16 plexiglass to hold them together. Totaling 3/4 inch thick with the airspace. Very light weight!

Nothing illegal was done in the making of these windows. ::) ::)

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2009, 11:52 AM »
So, how much are you charging for the blueprints? This is probably the best portable I think I've ever seen.

Once your done you should post a video of you setting up and tearing down.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2009, 06:53 AM »
I mostly make them for myself. I do keep some patterns and such, but don't have blueprints. I have been improving my design for years. My first michiana shanty sets up in less than 20 sec. This shanty will be around 40 sec? I will put a video on here for how it works. Right now I am starting the walls and working out all of the funny ways it has to fold to make it work in the wind. I want to be able to load and unload, then push or pull onto the ice, then set up, all by myself. That's the plan. Should have some more pictures next week.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Sorry I haven't posted pictures of the walls. The cold weather is great, but I can't glue my gussets without heat. I may have to try to find some space at work to get things going. I only have to make three more sections of wall and roof frames. Also, I have to build a door. I will try to get some pictures up for the frames before I start installing the R-Board. Hope everyone Else's projects are going well! ;D

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2009, 05:49 AM »
suppose to warm up a bit this weekend, not sure what temps you need but they were talking upper 50's low 60's i believe.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I worked on the shanty all day Saturday. I finished the wall frames and built a spar for the roof support. I tried to take pics of the framing but they didn't turn out good enough to make sense of what you would be looking at. Once I start putting the gussets on I will be able to describe the walls better.

This is a pic of the center spar for the roof before I put on the Luann.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:10 AM »
A little more progress last night. I got a couple of side walls and the back wall ready for the R-board.

A corner gusset. Square, then glue and staple.

I use a three inch screw in the corner. Pre-drill the hole.

End wall with gussets.

Middle of back wall gusset. This is what you would glue the R-board to.

Back wall with gussets.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:34 AM »
Finally got the shanty out of the garage to take a few pictures last night. I have had to take walls one at a time down in my basement to glue and staple because of the weather. I was getting discouraged because of all the time it was taking me to pull the staples the sand each wall individually. It took forever! Then to install the hinges on each wall and figure out how to hinge it so I won't have problems with freezing. Lots of problems solved and lots of time spent it feels good now to be this much closer to taking my family and friends fishing.

Walls up!

This is the door side!

This is the spar I designed to hold the weight of the snow, and install lighting in the bottom. I am also going to install some flashing lights on the top ends.

A Little driveway fishing!

Shanty building is hard work!

My son is tired too!

Folded left side.

Folded right side.

Back of shanty.

It will look a little different with the R-board in the walls. I still have to add on some more gusset strips and make some latches and the door with a latch. I like making my own latches because of cost. I still haven't decided on the kind of a design I am going to print on the sides. Also I am going to fiberglass the bottom. I have never installed fiberglass before so one more thing to learn. I have used Linoleum in the past, but with the foot print of this big shanty the roll of material is too heavy. My smaller shanties used a smaller piece so the weight didn't matter.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:46 AM »
I sure is looking Great! Now you can realy see the inginuaty in your design. It's a work of art!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Thank's Mud! ;D

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I didn't really understand how this was going to work until I was the pictures just posted.  Looks great, keep the pictures coming

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I didn't really understand how this was going to work until I saw the pictures just posted.  Looks great, keep the pictures coming

That's kind of what I thought! Will have more pictures soon! Thanks!

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:06 PM »
I too wasn't sure how it was going to unfold into a shanty. I've enjoyed watching you build it. Great pics have helped me understand. Looking forward to see it completed.
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I too wasn't sure how it was going to unfold into a shanty. I've enjoyed watching you build it. Great pics have helped me understand. Looking forward to see it completed.
Sometimes I wasn't so sure how it would work either! I had a bunch of obstacles to over come with the folding. Still trying to come up with a better way of joining the front two walls without the use of clamps. I can come up with ways of doing it with two people, but I want to be able to set it up by myself? I guess I will have to find some fast clamps that won't freeze up, because they will need to be on the outside.

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Wow,,,Nice work michianafisherman. Looks like alot of work but it will be worth it in the long run.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Wow that is sweet  nice job ;) ;)
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:07 AM »
I , like a lot of others have been watching this thread to see what the final product was gonna look like and how it would work. Kudos on a job well done. Probably took more man hours to think about than to build, combine the two, it`s time well spent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.