Author Topic: Small minnow container  (Read 2531 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Small minnow container
« on: Feb 06, 2021, 03:37 PM »
Anyone ever use the Frabill worm and leech lodge or Strikemaster bait bucket for minnows while ice fishing.  We keep a large engel in the house or permy but are looking for something small to take in the portys while hopping around.  Keys are small and sexure so water doesnt get out top bad.  I would imagine that if the container is “air tight” the minnows wouldnt last long?  I thought about drilling a couple real tiny holes in the lid of the strikemaster bait bucket to let a little air in/out but not have water completely drain if it tips over in transport.  The frabill has some ventilation options with the turnable piece up top, may just do the trick. Thoughts? 

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Small minnow container
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2021, 03:43 PM »
I would use either of those, or some ice cream buckets.  Yes they will die faster in an airtight enclosure but it takes a while and you'll presumably be opening and closing it throughout the day.  You can also add some water as you go along if needed.  Main thing is don't put too many minnows in one bucket.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2021, 03:53 PM »
    It's in the fridge. The Frabill has holes already in it on the top. Frabill also makes one about 1/4 or 1/3 that size nice for crappie minnows.  The little ones are also vented.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:55 PM »
Sports insulated drinking water bottle...then just label, do not drink.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:06 PM »
I use a 2 quart plastic thermos drink jug with a screw on lid.  Like stated above, I don't worry about a lack of oxygen as I open the lid every time I need a minnow.  If they look like they are starting to come to the top, wanting oxygen, I open the flip spout on the jug and pour off some water and then I put a scoop of new water in.  I usually use it for walleye fishing because I don't have to worry about the minnow spilling out while taking long trips out onto Saginaw Bay.  And, I usually put 1-2 dozen minnows in it that average about 3 inches long.   But, I'm sure it would work good for a couple dozen perch or crappie minnows, just as well.
x2
I have had the screw down top freeze shut before ,can be a pain when setting up before shack is up or out in the open
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:19 PM »
This came up the other day on another local forum, This is what I have been using for the past 10 -12 years. Could not remember the name of it and another fisher stated that they believe it to be a "Quick Minnow" not sure if it is still available.

You can wear it under your Jacket, It has a strainer cap and a non-spill cap. Tip it up and poof out comes your minnow.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:29 PM »
The strikemaster one is kick-butt. You dont need air holes for a day trip, just keep them cold. Every time you open it to get a fresh one you will add oxygen.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:23 PM »
I use one of these two depending depending on how I am fishing that day. If I am running and gunning off my four wheeler I run just the half gallon insulated bucket and if I am fishing any of my portable houses I use the baitwell which is the same bucket that is used in the insulated bucket but it has a bracket to hold the pail right on your portable house.

here is the insulated bucket :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/bait-bucket.html#163=

here is the bait well : 

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/bait-well.html

now if you want the best of both you can buy the insulated bucket and then buy this bracket to make a bait well with having the insulated cover for the pail too :

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/bucket-bracket-holder.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:19 AM »
You could use 1 of these and plunk it down the hole when not moving

https://bait2go.com/
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Yeah I've got a quick minnow their discontinued works great you flip it go get a minnow it will swim down so your not dipping into the container and it fits down a hole to change the water

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:29 PM »
I’ve used the Bait-Up container for hole hopping. Works great and the smaller one fits in your pocket.

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:58 PM »
I have two insulated water jugs, they work well. I bought one at a garage sale for .25 cents.  I use a aerator while at home. I run the tubing through the mouth piece, replace the stone, it keeps them lively.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:07 AM »
I use one of those cans that coffee comes in.  Can keep minnows in for at least a week.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Bart, how do you mount your aerator on the cooler jug?

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Bart, how do you mount your aerator on the cooler jug?

I only use the aerator at home. I run the tubing through the mouth piece, replace the stone and plug it in...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Online bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Nice!  That doesn't pinch the hose when you close the mouth piece?

I leave it open while using the aerator. It works well in a 2 gallon jug also.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:29 AM »

I only use the aerator at home. I run the tubing through the mouth piece, replace the stone and plug it in...
(Image removed from quote.)

Brilliant!    :woot:  Now to add a big straw to suck one out!  :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2021, 12:08 PM »
The BEST! Summer or winter. Easy water change, no bait loss when dumping. No net needed or wet hands. Minnows float up in basket out of the water. Opens on both ends. Ingenious! Wish I thought of that. Perfection. There’s a cheaper brand but out of stock on Amazon. Ive only used it with fat heads, naturally durable but so easy to change out water others should be fine.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:09 PM »
yup---quite similar to the one I posted above.Dunk it down the (spare) hole while fishing

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2021, 03:11 PM »
I have a couple of the "Genie Jar" style bait holders.  Mine froze up when using it ice fishing. 

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:13 PM »
Gatorade bottle.  I have used the medium sized one lots.  you can fit quite a few minnows in there and just dump one out in your hand when needed.  After a couple of dumps you just dip it back in the lake to fill up.  You have to keep them from freezing, but they didn't seem to freeze too fast on me.  Even though they are sealed I never really felt like minnows died very fast in there.  i would suspect they would go a couple of days in there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.