Author Topic: Refilled the 1# tanks today.  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Refilled the 1# tanks today.
« on: Dec 03, 2022, 11:40 PM »

Refilled my crate today. Haven’t seen prices on 1# tanks lately. I know last season they were $5.99-$10 for a new 1#.

What’s 1# tanks priced at in your area?

just a tip but to keep the green bomb threads in shape, I put a touch of Remington gun oil on the threads and a thread cap on them. Keeps the threads from rusting.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Refilled the 1# tanks today.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2022, 03:47 AM »
6-8 bucks a pop around here.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2022, 04:21 AM »
6-8 bucks a pop around here.
  Same around here , glad I refill

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2022, 04:25 AM »
I switched to alcohol heat several years back... no regrets. It doesn't bother my eyes the way propane or white gas do. Both of those make my eyes feel itchy/fuzzy after a while.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:05 AM »
I switched to alcohol heat several years back... no regrets. It doesn't bother my eyes the way propane or white gas do. Both of those make my eyes feel itchy/fuzzy after a while.
So how do you heat with alcohol

Offline bigtt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:35 AM »
Walmart 4.50 each if you got the 4 pack.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:47 AM »
Not sure around here for the price of the bombs, but less than 6 bucks to fill my 5 pounder.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:39 AM »

Refilled my crate today. Haven’t seen prices on 1# tanks lately. I know last season they were $5.99-$10 for a new.

1#.

What’s 1# tanks priced at in your area?

just a tip but to keep the green bomb threads in shape, I put a touch of Remington gun oil on the threads and a thread cap on them. Keeps the threads from rusting.
Never use oil / grease or any other petroleum product on a regulator or line that feeds one. It's an explosion hazard. If ya want to clean threads / cut the handle off of a pipe cleaning brush & put it in you drill at low speed & use teflon tape if ya want to preserve/ seal the joint.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:44 AM »
Never use oil / grease or any other petroleum product on a regulator or line that feeds one. It's an explosion hazard. If ya want to clean threads / cut the handle off of a pipe cleaning brush & put it in you drill at low speed & use teflon tape if ya want to preserve/ seal the joint.

I think you can use Dilectric grease. Pretty sure It's non-flammable.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Die-electric grease is silicone based & has a very low 500° flash point , so it's not reccomended for anything near a burner.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2022, 07:05 AM »
NEVER, use oil or grease! 🧨

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:24 AM »
The last time I bought the tanks (I fill now) they were from 8.99 to 12.99 cdn.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:34 AM »
So how do you heat with alcohol

Alcohol stove. Only real downside is the burners don't hold a ton of fuel, so I have a couple to swap out and refuel.

The price of alcohol has gone way up the past couple years, so it really isn't much cheaper than propane anymore.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:45 AM »

Thanks ZCM

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2022, 11:02 AM »
Thanks ZCM

No problem. It's not as convenient as LP or white gas, but the fumes don't bother my eyes.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2022, 12:11 PM »
Just be careful, I know that I read last year of several that went up in flames and burned down the shanty. I bought a 5lb tank after I saw that.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2022, 12:53 PM »
Just be careful, I know that I read last year of several that went up in flames and burned down the shanty. I bought a 5lb tank after I saw that.

My 5# And 11# tank are the least used most inconvenient tanks I have. Actually thinking about selling them. Glad the 5# works for you though.

I've just ran into to many issues with the 5# & 11# to bother using them much.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2022, 12:59 PM »

Holy cow I'm glad I got my 6 refillable at $14 $42 seems outragous.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2022, 01:18 PM »

Love my 5#. Going on 4th season with no issues using a tank top heater. Never go back to those 1# PIA's.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2022, 02:18 PM »

Holy cow I'm glad I got my 6 refillable at $14 $42 seems outragous.

They're $18-$20 at the couple places that seem to have them in stock lately.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2022, 03:46 PM »
Just a few articles on why NOT to use refillable 1 lb containers...I'll save my life and pay $5.99 each.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1+lb+refilled+propane+tank+explodes+while+ice+fishing&docid=608012909736517948&mid=3191AFD1A8F20E7D3FCE3191AFD1A8F20E7D3FCE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Thoughts and prayers to this man and his family. It makes me wonder if he was one of the guys that said " I have done it for years with no problems".

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.
Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.
Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

https://flameking.com/1-lb-recall-notice/

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2022, 04:00 PM »
Just a few articles on why NOT to use refillable 1 lb containers...I'll save my life and pay $5.99 each.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1+lb+refilled+propane+tank+explodes+while+ice+fishing&docid=608012909736517948&mid=3191AFD1A8F20E7D3FCE3191AFD1A8F20E7D3FCE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Thoughts and prayers to this man and his family. It makes me wonder if he was one of the guys that said " I have done it for years with no problems".

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.
Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.
Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

That is tragic but if you overfill a tire and it explodes............yo u can't really claim the tire is faulty.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2022, 04:08 PM »

Better walk to the lake might get in an accident on the way there. Oh wait you could slip and fall walking, better stay home..

Refilling the disposable tanks has some risk but the refillable ones seem quite idiot proof or we'd have lots of incidents

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2022, 04:08 PM »
They are still making 5lb tanks. They hold plenty of fuel for a day, much more compact in size and easier to transport than juggling 5 separate tanks. And from the sounds of it, the 5lb tank investment appears to be much safer.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:00 PM »
Re-filling a tank in an enclosed space , would be like changing a fuel filter by candle light. You can't protect the inept from themselves. Do it in an open air space, dont overfill & spray the re-filled tank w/ soap bubble mixture to make sure valve needle & seat sealed & you'll be safe.
& never keep tanks in the house.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:06 PM »
They are still making 5lb tanks. They hold plenty of fuel for a day, much more compact in size and easier to transport than juggling 5 separate tanks. And from the sounds of it, the 5lb tank investment appears to be much safer.

Exactly

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:23 PM »
My buddy swore by the flame king until his shanty and gear went up in flames while he was at a tip-up. Someone was looking out for him and he swore the flame kings were safe ....NOT

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2022, 05:48 PM »

Thanks for the recall notice. Checked the 6 I have and they were All well made after the recall.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:04 PM »

I thought the 5lb tank or 11lb tank would be the ticket. Works great when completely full and going out for a day.

The issues I have with my 5# and 11# is more than likely due to my local area. The local coop oil would top them off for me a few years ago. Then they were bought out. The new management changed The rules and went to a $20 minimum for refilling LP tanks. So no topping off my 5# or 11# tanks when I've use a few lbs out of it. That left me at having to refill the 5#, 11#, and A 20# tank when I went to get over the $20 min.

Mainly due to the refill policy locally, it's more convenient to just refill 1# tanks off the 20# tank until the 20 is empty.

Totally get where the 5# tank would work great if a person could go out with it always being filled up. But going out for a few hours and only having 2# left in it would put a guy in the position where you would have to take a couple 1# tanks anyway to get through the day. When it comes to transport......4-6 1# tanks fit just fine in the sled to transport. 5# fits good to.....but no benefit over the 1#  unless its full

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.