Author Topic: Could it be?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Could it be?
« on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:42 PM »
Good Day Gents,

Lst night, here in INDY we had a hard frost,and, when I looked out the back window this morning I saw that the birdbath was frozen solid.
Not good for ducks, but just maybe this year will allow me to get out the "Little Poles.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Could it be?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2021, 12:29 PM »
Keepin my fingers crossed! The beagle’s water pan had about a quarter of an inch of ice and we had 26 degrees this morning. Hex

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2021, 10:25 PM »
I'm just over the border in IL right along the Newton/Benton county line, and we've had hard frosts the last 3 mornings. It was 24° yesterday before sunup, and some of the ditches were frozen over around here until 9am or so. Looks like a warming trend starting tomorrow through next week, though.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2021, 07:01 PM »
OMG, you folks just ain't right! One of my ponds in northern Michigan skimmed over Monday night.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2021, 07:27 PM »
There will definitely be some iced up ditches over the next few days with overnights in the 20s, but it'll be 4-6 weeks before we see anything walkable around here.

Pre Xmas ice is a once in a lifetime event locally. Last time I know of it happening was in the mid-1970s.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2021, 04:57 AM »
forecast for dec and jan look about the same.  nothing brutally cold with day temps in the 30s.  i know its a long ways away to forecast but thats what they say.  we  mite not get on till jan in this state.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2021, 01:37 PM »
Saw some skim ice on small ponds and channels this morning! Hex

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2021, 09:06 PM »
Dog water bucket outside had 2" of ice when I was out working in the yard, this morning.  We are at minimum a month away from even doing spud checks on the local lakes, but it's still nice to see things are moving in that direction.  Let's hope the weathermen can find a nice big cold front sometime in the middle of December to get things moving even faster :)
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2021, 01:38 PM »
I've been fishing channels on the Michiana line. the water temps are upper 30's. It won't take much to lock it up. There has already been shore ice.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:04 AM »
16 deg in indy last night -  64 deg and rain predicted for Friday.....,

fish on

riverreddy

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:14 AM »
I picked up a used thermal shanty last week.  Hopefully I will get to use it in state this year.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:22 AM »
10 day isn't good here. Cool today and tomorrow, but 60 Friday and a bunch of 40s and 50s next week.

Looking like a January first ice season in my neighborhood, unless something drastic happens before that.

*added 4pm*

Shame it's going to turn warm after tomorrow. I had a peek at a few of the ponds I fish on my way home from work. One was completely skinned over, and the other two were better than half iced.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:22 AM »
NWS long range forecast shows a winter similar to last winter. Above normal temps and wetter than normal thanks to a moderate LaNina. They were spot on last winter.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/winter2122?fbclid=IwAR0qlDXTI-1U5z87HC1K3PG-LKT0gq_1Q0NPr9CU_l3pKNzsw6txnlOdgU4

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:35 AM »
as long as the ramps dont freeze up 2 weeks before safe ice ill be happy.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Looking like around the turn of the year for small ponds here. We get 3-4 days in a row where the wind behaves and the high isn't above 33-34° and it'll be go time.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2021, 08:19 AM »
lets just hope there arent any news stories this year.  warm winters lead to short lives!  be safe all.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2021, 07:18 AM »
With deer season just winding down, I'm starting to keep an eye on the forecast but not seeing anything in the near future that looks like ice. 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2021, 07:23 AM »
Forecast has fluttered up an down a wee bit, but still looking like I'll probably be poking my first holes in small ponds somewhere between the 30th and Jan 2nd around here.

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2021, 09:15 AM »
15 day forecast looking cold and no precipitation for northern Indiana. I’m thinking the same thing, may have some walkable ice less than a month from now!! ***aggressively knocks on wood****
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2021, 10:43 AM »
A couple of years ago I followed the forecast for about a month for a bear hunt I was going on.  I learned that around day 10 they start to bring the temp in line with the seasonal averages.  So in the winter the predicted temp for two weeks out is normally lower than what actually happens.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2021, 10:51 PM »
A couple of years ago I followed the forecast for about a month for a bear hunt I was going on.  I learned that around day 10 they start to bring the temp in line with the seasonal averages.  So in the winter the predicted temp for two weeks out is normally lower than what actually happens.

Sounds like you're referring to Accuweather. NWS long range forecast is a little different.

https://www.weather.gov/arx/winter2122?fbclid=IwAR0qlDXTI-1U5z87HC1K3PG-LKT0gq_1Q0NPr9CU_l3pKNzsw6txnlOdgU4
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:44 AM »
Sounds like you're referring to Accuweather. NWS long range forecast is a little different.

Yeah I was just following the 14 day forecast for August/September 2019.  For example, on around August 24th the forecast temp for Sept 4 was in line with the seasonal average but within 4-5 days the temp would creep up to an actual forecasted temperature(the weather was unseasonably warm then).  It did this for 3-4 weeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.