Author Topic: Ice fishing terminology??  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing terminology??
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:46 PM »
Hard to believe, but Champlain ice fishing regs allow up to 15 tip-ups...!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Hard to believe, but Champlain ice fishing regs allow up to 15 tip-ups...!!

I think that they must have a powerful lobby of the tip-up manufacturers...

The market in Minnesota would only be $40/fisherman.  The market there would be $300/fisherman.

How could somebody keep 15 holes ice-free in cold weather?  ???
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:21 PM »
I am of the “trap” community and where the heck did the word “spud” come from...all my life it’s been a chisel and I’m 70 years old!
A “spud” was a potato wrapped in foil and thrown on an open fire.
 ;D

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I am of the “trap” community and where the heck did the word “spud” come from...all my life it’s been a chisel and I’m 70 years old!
A “spud” was a potato wrapped in foil and thrown on an open fire.
 ;D

Spear or Lance beats out potato by over 350 years. Spud meaning "potato" probably evolved from the concept that potatoes are harvested with a "spade" that was called a "spud."

spud (n.)

mid-15c., "small or poor knife," of uncertain origin probably related to Danish spyd, Old Norse spjot "spear," German Spiess "spear, lance"). Meaning "spade" is from 1660s; sense of "short or stumpy person or thing" is from 1680s; that of "potato" is first recorded 1845 in New Zealand English.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #94 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Drum role please..........

The official term by Wikipedia is Tip-up. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_fishing

"The second is using tip-ups, which are made of wood or plastic, and have a spool of line attached, with a thin piece of metal that goes from the spool to the flag. Black line is put on the spool and a swivel is placed at the end of the black line."

Now, we should start a pole on here and see what the real winner is based on ice fisherman across the country. After all, we are the real pro's of this sport, right? If its Tip-up, so be it. If its Trap, lets have them change it.
Just add water.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:44 PM »

"The second is using tip-ups, which are made of wood or plastic, and have a spool of line attached, with a thin piece of metal that goes from the spool to the flag. Black line is put on the spool and a swivel is placed at the end of the black line."

Now, we should start a pole on here and see what the real winner is based on ice fisherman across the country. After all, we are the real pro's of this sport, right? If its Tip-up, so be it. If its Trap, lets have them change it.

I think that the Frostbite Boys (from the Midwest) must have hacked Wikipedia to shut down the East Coast local linguistic tendencies.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #96 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:49 PM »
I think that the Frostbite Boys (from the Midwest) must have hacked Wikipedia to shut down the East Coast local linguistic tendencies.

👍😁👍
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #97 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:58 PM »

I don't use black line on my spools, so that definition of tip up doesn't pertain to me ...
Therefore it's a trap  ;D
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:23 PM »

I’m half tempted now to make an account an edit the page.... it’s clearly wrong....

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:25 PM »
I’m half tempted now to make an account an edit the page.... it’s clearly wrong....

You from Frostbite?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:27 PM »
This is what us Midwesterner's call a trap...

Exactly, and this is what they are for:

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #102 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Exactly, and this is what they are for:

Nice rat Gunflint. Now we have to figure out how to put a minnow on that thing and get it down the hole.  :blink: :roflmao:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Nice rat Gunflint. Now we have to figure out how to put a minnow on that thing and get it down the hole.  :blink: :roflmao:

The guys in the Northeast can help explain it to us.  ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I think that they must have a powerful lobby of the tip-up manufacturers...

The market in Minnesota would only be $40/fisherman.  The market there would be $300/fisherman.

How could somebody keep 15 holes ice-free in cold weather?  ???

Yeah, Dick, the OP wandered over to the Vermont page and tried to make that point about being able to tend 15 traps and that it was way too may tipups  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :unsure: :unsure: :wacko: :wacko:   boy did he stir things up.  I think he had to change his user name just to set foot back on the VT page!!

Dick you ought to try that again and get the Midwest boys to pile on for support.... @) @)

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:23 PM »
I own jack traps, but call them tip-ups  :o

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #106 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:18 PM »
I’ve alwAys referred to
Them as traps. But tip ups or whatever works for me :)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:30 PM »
Spear or Lance beats out potato by over 350 years. Spud meaning "potato" probably evolved from the concept that potatoes are harvested with a "spade" that was called a "spud."

spud (n.)

mid-15c., "small or poor knife," of uncertain origin probably related to Danish spyd, Old Norse spjot "spear," German Spiess "spear, lance"). Meaning "spade" is from 1660s; sense of "short or stumpy person or thing" is from 1680s; that of "potato" is first recorded 1845 in New Zealand English.

LMAO...ok while you are prancing around the lake “lancing” or “spearing” your holes, I'll be CHISELING my holes (drilling with Ion nowadays!)
 ;D

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:34 PM »
LMAO...ok while you are prancing around the lake “lancing” or “spearing” your holes, I'll be CHISELING my holes (drilling with Ion nowadays!)
 ;D

I don't think that I own a real spud (except the potato kind or the spade. I only ice fish in Minnesota for Lake Trout and the season opens the first of January. No real ice danger to use a spud for. I have an ice saw to cut large holes so an auger and saw are enough.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:53 PM »
OK!  This was my thread.  My query was about long term use of the term tipup or trap in NH ,Maine and Vt.  Consensus is that the common term was long ago Trap but Tipup is now used equally.  The term Tilt seems to have a southern New England origin?  Thats all I wanted to know.  Thanks for all the interesting banter.
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.