Author Topic: Flasher for those who need but don't wear glasses  (Read 1129 times)

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher for those who need but don't wear glasses
« on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:38 AM »
My old man who is 70 wears reading glasses except when he goes out to eat (can't read a menu) or fishing. He's not tech savvy and still uses a flip phone because he can talk to Captain Kirk.  I've been fishing in 20-40 feet of water which would be ideal for him to use electronics.  I use my boats 5 inch fishfinder and he can see it, but I don't think he would navigate the menus to fine tune it.  A fishfinder may be too complex with all the buttons and menus to operate.  Is it safe assume with a flasher he could see green and red lines move around the circle without glasses?  Maybe a FL 8?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Flasher for those who need but don't wear glasses
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:43 AM »
if you fish with him set up what ever he gets for him. i do that for a person who can't figure out a vexilar and it only has 2 knobs on it. you still have to be able to read what the knobs get turned for to use them.

why does he refuse to wear glasses?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Vexilar sells a cover for the screen of FL8s and FL18s that magnifies. It also keeps snow or water drops off of the screen. The FL18 also zooms the bottom six feet which may be nice for him. I use one and I'm over seventy, but I do wear my glasses.  ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Take a 5 gallon bucket and put it upside down to the side of the hole instead of in front. Then place the flasher on top of that. It gets the screen up and closer to the person.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:03 AM »
If you get one just remember sometimes when hole hopping the readings can get wonky (especially with zoom mode) ..teach him to turn the unit on and off again to fix it . Most of the new flashers have some pretty bright lights ...the flats screens can be difficult to read in bright sunlight ...but offer bigger screens and can be viewed at an angle ....the zoom feature is nice ...but its another button/knob to push/turn ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Take a 5 gallon bucket and put it upside down to the side of the hole instead of in front. Then place the flasher on top of that. It gets the screen up and closer to the person.
saves your neck from cramps too. i do this when seated for hours in a shelter just to save the neck.

otherwise i am kneeling if i am on fish. this would bring it close to your eyes also and save neck cramps and block wind and eyes. i use 19 inch rods tho.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:53 AM »
Si-tex  FL-3      Red and Green    or Red only   save yourself 300.00 at least  these are awesome flashers. just pair it up with a vex ice-ducer. Best flasher for the money.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:52 AM »
humminbird ice 35
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.