Author Topic: Eyeglass Woes  (Read 1204 times)

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Eyeglass Woes
« on: Jul 07, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Last season, I experienced an issue with my glasses, and the ability to see the Marcum M-5 screen. (I know...it’s “Hell” getting old!)
I don’t know if it was the type of lenses I have, (transitions and scratch resistance coating), glare off the ice, or something else. I’ve read the posts about difficulty in seeing a camera screen, and I wonder if this could be the problem in some cases?
Anyway, I have an appointment to see my eye doc this week, so I will present the problem to him and see what adjustments I need to make to correct the problem. Maybe ditch the transition lenses and go with regular sunglasses. I’ll let you all know what I find out! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eyeglass Woes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2020, 03:31 PM »
I wear prescription sunglasses with the coating and polarized and had no problem viewing my LX-5.

Hellderly sucks! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2020, 04:07 PM »
My issues...I thought.. was the glare on my camera screen in some instances ..put some anti glare film and it helped some .. long story short I had cataracts ..at 50 yoa ..very simple procedure/fix..the only "hard" part was lots drops having to be applied before and after . Amazing what it did for my quality of life ..it was such a slow progression ..that I didn't notice over time and I drifted away from some things I enjoyed..seems silly but you find ways not to do things/activities . Hope you find your solution.  I can read a newspaper ...but still use cheaters for some small print and in poor lighting conditions ...but on ice everything is all good. BTW I had one eye done right before ice season ..and had the other done after turkey season as I didn't want to deal with any accidents during the healing process .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Take your flasher to the eye Dr with you so you can test the new lenses

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2020, 03:37 PM »
My eyesight is getting worse as im almost 50 and a diabetic.but tried my kids glasses on a few months ago and cant believe how blind i really am.i can see pretty clear with my right eye but i see double of everything with the left one.i need to go in and get my own prescription glasses.I have been wearing my kids glasses 90% of the day now.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2020, 05:40 PM »
@SLAYERFISH, Thanks for the info. Hope it’s the solution!

@ hardwater, I hope the diagnosis isn’t cataracts, but if it is, I’ll just have to deal with it. Like the “one eye at a          time” concept.

@bowmandan, Good suggestion, but the problem occurred on a sunny day. Hard to replicate in the Drs. office.

@DR.SPECKLER, I hear ya! Need to take care of them peepers ASAP! Top priority for sure.

Thanks all! ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2020, 06:15 PM »
@SLAYERFISH, Thanks for the info. Hope it’s the solution!

@ hardwater, I hope the diagnosis isn’t cataracts, but if it is, I’ll just have to deal with it. Like the “one eye at a          time” concept.

@bowmandan, Good suggestion, but the problem occurred on a sunny day. Hard to replicate in the Drs. office.

@DR.SPECKLER, I hear ya! Need to take care of them peepers ASAP! Top priority for sure.

Thanks all! ;D

My cataracts started on the peripheral according to my doctor ..who did note it on a previous exam but didn't tell me until i brought my concerns/condition to him since it hadnt bothered me ..at first I tried some progressive glasses as a remedy ..which didnt work for two reasons wasn't really the needed solution ..and turning my whole head as opposed to just moving my eyes went against everything I learned as a hunter/sportsman in order to "use" the progressives effectively  . The sun was a major issue as was driving a night  too. Good luck with your doctors visit. Once again the procedure is EZPZ ..I believe you can have one eye done ..then in about two weeks the other can be done ...in my case ice fishing season was just beginning hence the delay between proceedures.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2020, 06:30 AM »
I think the transition and coating are part off the issue. Same thing happened to me when I went with that combination on my glasses. I have just been dealing with it till my next eye exam.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2020, 04:30 PM »
My Garmin screen is slightly optically polarized. If I wear polarized sunglasses, it looks mostly black. I need to wear non-polarized sunglasses if I am using it.
To see is this is your issue, turn the glasses or the screen sideways. It should be better one way or the other. If the polarization of the screen and the eyeglasses are aligned, it has little effect. If the polarization of the screen and the glasses are at 90 degrees, most of the light is blocked, and the screen will look black.

Many LCD screens have this same problem.

:tipup:

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2020, 04:46 PM »
The visit to the eye doc was a success. My eyes are healthy, and no need for cataract removal at this point. Doc said the issue was with polarized lenses and the transitions. He suggested to get rid of the polarization, and get a pit of non-polarized sunglasses. He also suggested I “tip my head” to look at the screen, although it could be hard on the neck after awhile! (I’ve been going to him for many years, so I’m used to his humor! LOL)!
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Now all I need is some ice to test his theory!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Glad to hear ..a suggestion for the anticipated neck strain ..get your flasher up off the ice some and some longer rods ..when I switched from a Vexilar Pro Pack (first version) to an Ultra Pack it helped a lot ..adding longer rods did so even more ..weather I was sitting on a 7 gallon bucket or a chair . :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.