Author Topic: help: fabricating a lightweight/portable/collapsible shanty; inside temp > 33f  (Read 408 times)

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
hello good sirs and misses!
some of the design parameters have just about been set in stone but if you can create a logical argument for another building material which is superior i can be reasoned with.  cost is a large limiting factor.  minimum weight as i need to be able to walk with this structure a couple miles; initial idea is 10-15# maybe possible.

some of the dreams which may not be possible but it is what keeps me alive.
i want to have minimum internal volume to possible promote the 33f desired inside temperature to prevent line from freezing without supplemental heating.

the building material of choice is 1" foil faced rigid insulation with an r value around 6.  from some quick searching, it appears we produce a similar amount of heat loss as a 100w light bulb.  the goal is to slow down the rate which that bleeds into the local environment.  i will also try to make a double pain window to limit heat loss while also promoting some green house effect.  the window will be midway or so in the shanty as it will have a lower r value and the goal it to preserve as much heat as possible.

it is difficult for me to commit to 2" material at this point as i do not have a contingency plan if the design does not work out.  if i abort the idea with 1" i will just make more bee hives.

one large compromise with this building material will be increasing the sheer strength where attachment points will be, increasing footprint will help but this topic needs more time to stew.  i do not mind having an internal aluminum or fiberglass tube which bridges the sides and then ties into some 1/8" luan(sp?) or something to carry the loads(more thin wall/lightweight tubing) down into the ice.  one idea being to suspend my fishfinder/battery and maybe auger from it to help anchor the structure to the ice; ~ 15# or so.  this same, load bearing luan wood also promotes more design systems to help capture the structure to the ice/snow; aluminum nails is current spit ball idea before i look into how other shelters accomplish this goal.

i drive a 4 door sedan so i need to be able to break the design down for transport.  i have a couple ideas for joints which should help hold the panels together under compression but would allow it to be blow apart should the wind flip it.  i think the structure would travel less distance if the panels separated than if is stayed like an umbrella.  the idea was to use some sort of light cordage to help hold the panels together and if necessary one could integrate some sort of rubber band idea into the design to help control tension.

any advice or guidance on the quest to fish the great north and extend my ice fishing season?  i will build a scaled down prototype to help others see the idea i am doing a poor job of describing and promote more feedback.

necessity is the mother of invention.  thank you for your time, peace and long life!
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I was thinking of Corrugated Plastic Sheets (laminate with the ISO sheet), lots of strength, not a lot of money and even has some R-Value. butt joint everything with Gorilla Tape with a little slack and you could fold it up flat. Don't think about how it will react if it blows away; think about how you will be anchoring it, so it does not blow away...

Just a quick thought/suggestion...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.