The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crazy Weather  (Read 27864 times)

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:31 AM »
And just to add to the greatness of it all, it was -32* on the Chevy on the drive in just now...

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:39 AM »
Burrrrrrrrr.....To damn cold.....Great for making ice, but the older I get the less I like being out in it. 20* w/light snow flurries here right now. Stay warm !!

Tinker

« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2017, 09:20 AM »
we had a heck of a melt on Sunday and they are calling for 48 again tomorrow.  I ordered my new boat validation decals yesterday  ;)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Yep.....good melt here Sunday as well. Monday night thru this morning we picked up about 4" of snow tho. Looking like 44* for tomorrow, high 20's/low30's for the weekend & next week looks to have some 40* temps forecasted. Geez.....in a few more months it will be time to pull the 5th-wheel out of storage. That's a depressing thought right now lol !! Take care & stay safe everyone !!

Offline KeeghanL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:33 PM »
It's supposed to be in the 40s for a while here, which of course comes with 30 mile an hour winds

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:49 PM »
High Wind Warning
Issued by the National Weather Service
HIGH WIND WARNING FROM 6AM MST THU UNTIL 12AM MST SAT ...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT MST FRIDAY NIGHT... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREAT FALLS HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT MST FRIDAY NIGHT. * WINDS...SOUTHWEST 35 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 85 MPH. * TIMING...SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE EAST SLOPES OF THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS OVERNIGHT. THESE WINDS WILL BECOME STRONG, GUSTY AND POSSIBLY DAMAGING BY THURSDAY MORNING AND ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH LATE FRIDAY EVENING.

It will be interesting to see what happens first, the melting or the wind.  If it's the wind, there will be some pretty impressive drifts afterward.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2017, 03:12 PM »
It's been snowing all day here in the Northern Bitterroot after a couple days of warm/rainy weather.  Crazy for sure!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Those wind speeds are just no good B L.....Keep yourself planted to the ground sir !!

It's been snowing here for close to 3 hours now. It's 36* outside so it's not sticking.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:16 AM »
get the hip boots out going to need them.  slushville returns to western Mt. just got done pushing wet heavy snow around and roads have turned to washed board fun. hope we all get a deal on shocks and struts for the cars and trucks taken a beating this winter. looking forward to next week and sun
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Looks like cool enough temps to keep our ice but with the amount of snow we have... hip boots might be too short :o

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:23 AM »
50* in Butte today...

Offline KeeghanL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Same in GFalls

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Went to bed at 2:00am & temp was 32*. Woke up at 7:15am & the temp was 46*.
Right now it's raining, strong winds & 48*.
High of 51* forecasted for today. I bet it gets a touch above that.
Get out the hip boots & stay safe !!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:01 PM »
It finally cracked 32* here in Helena but no wind yet.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2017, 04:31 PM »
wow has rained all day here! Kitchen ceiling started leaking so I had to get on the roof and try to break up the ice dam in the valley  :( ... after 30 minutes and little progress (ice was about a ft thick on the eave) I went for the chainsaw! High risk, high reward!! 4 1/2 hour later leak has almost stopped... definitely got my reps in today :flex:

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Geez, we shot up from 36 to 52 in about an hour when the SW breeze came up.

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Geez, we shot up from 36 to 52 in about an hour when the SW breeze came up.

I noticed that too.  CRAZY WEATHER!!!!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:57 PM »
We call that a Chinook wind in Great Falls.   LOL.  One of the very reasons I actually live here. You can get up in the morning when the temperature is cold like it was this morning. Zeroish at my house and by 12:30 when I went home for lunch today, the thermometer in my truck read 55 degrees. The warm and the wind causes the streets to melt off. Not like the streets normally are in Helena during the winter. I grew up in East Helena many moons ago. I distinctly remember my senior year of High School. January 1981. The temperature never got above zero the entire month of January because of the inversion that covered the valley. That was long before fuel injected engines, etc.  :)   

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Well.....Topped out at 50* today w/strong winds all day. Sure melted a bunch of the snow. Now it's forecasted to snow tomorrow night.

Looks like G'Town will be major slushfest !!

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Canyon Ferry was a lake on top of a lake this afternoon. The trout I caught could almost swim in the pools of water on top of the ice. Hope it freezes back up!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #50 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:30 PM »
 :roflmao: That's pretty funny Rainman.....I've never experienced it that bad while I was on the hardwater !!

Stay safe out there !!

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Canyon Ferry was a lake on top of a lake this afternoon. The trout I caught could almost swim in the pools of water on top of the ice. Hope it freezes back up!

Pull the sandbags out of the back of the pickup and stack them around the shanty!  ;D

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:04 AM »
Will be taking my waders next time. How many days of this warm weather would it take to destabilize 30+ inches of ice? Would sure like to drive out to the middle of the lake for perch but am not sure how fast the ice will decline on warm day followed by warm night.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2017, 02:19 AM »
How many days of this warm weather would it take to destabilize 30+ inches of ice?

Hmmm.....That's a good question. I really don't have any knowledge on the subject, but outside air temp & wind/no wind would have to be the biggest factors. Maybe someone will chime in with some theories or actual facts about it. Stay safe out there !!

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:27 AM »
How many days of this warm weather would it take to destabilize 30+ inches of ice?

The day's high temps are obviously only for a few hours, I really pay attention to how cold the lows are and figure about how many hours of subfreezing temps there are.  It's not very scientific, more experience-related unfortunately.  That being said, NOTHING kills ice like a warm wind.  30" is a lot of ice, but every locale is different, pay attention and don't be stupid.   

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:56 AM »
What a mess it's raining here in Belgrade

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 10, 2017, 08:59 AM »
It's raining pretty good here in Helena.  Roads are slicker than snot!  It'll be interesting to see how Holter looks tomorrow.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Roads are slicker than snot!  It'll be interesting to see how Holter looks tomorrow.

The ice has me pinned down at my place on a hilly side street this morning. I'm hoping it improves enough just to make it to a main road let alone to Holter by tomorrow!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Did y'all see that report on the local news lastnight about the snow in Cooke City ??
Stated they received 144"/12' of snow over an eight day period.
Now that's some serious snowfall.....Wouldn't want to be digging my way out of that !!

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2017, 09:21 AM »
That's crazy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.