Author Topic: Line strength test  (Read 21702 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Line strength test
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:29 PM »
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 14# listed.
Alright so I decided to actually endeavor in a few various knot trails against the FG knot on the 14# G-Soul Upgrade. Of which first test run I tied it only some left over fluorocarbon leader of Seaguar InvisX can't remember if it's 40# or 30#. It was kind of a dirtly sloppy FG knot tie job, but it seems to be holding. What I was attempting was to see if I slip a section of a line onto my standard knot to see if it would create a buffer to support a higher knot strength. The results was astonishing.

Line upon itself yield a result of 5# 9 oz.
Line with 80# braid yield a result of 5# 8 oz.
Line with 4# gamma polyflex: 5# 9 oz.

The results was very consistent knot break. I suppose if the loop right at the knot end next to the main line still compresses the main line, it will create an uneven pull, resulting in a weak spot. That also indicates that even if the line is set onto a dowel the size of the dowel will have a lot of influence on the line break when creating an uneven pull throughout the cross section of the line.

Then doing some bonus testing. Same line still and other knot end is still the same FG knot to fluorocarbon leader.
Palomar knot: 4# 9 oz.
Double Palomar knot: 5# 3 oz.

Then with remaining section of the line, I decided to wrap it around the tackle clip in the same manner as the FG knot to a leader. Again what an eye opener result. Here I was not expecting a higher break strength.
Mock FG onto a line clip: 7# 14 oz.

So onto another FG knot to FG knot trials. This time I'm using standard 30# mono. I need to tie two ends so no fluorocarbon leader, my arms not that long and leader material is a pain to tie. I started out with rather sloppy FG knot tying, then went onto doing it more carefully. My one other FG knot was holding so well, it stood throughout all other three tests, with the same line.

The results with three trials. 8#4, 8#15, 9#14.

The line breaks just at the knot. This is probably due to the line pinch and the main line is not pulled with even pressure throughout the whole cross section. So this means that I should probably use a leader and FG knot instead of tying direct to lure or end tackle for my purpose
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:48 PM »
Out of curiosity I decided to check out the knot strength on the FG knot.  It's an FG knot to FG knot on 30# mono.

YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 line is the candidate since their package list the max line strength.  So I am curious as to what can I get.

FG knot to knot on 30# mono.
14# listed with three trials: 8#4, 8#15, 9#14
16# listed with three trials: 13#10, 14#1, 13#13

compared to my knot to swivel.
14# listed with four trials: 6#15, 6#12, 7#0, 6#15
16# listed with four trials: 9#0, 9#15, 8#15, 8#15

I took more care tying the 14# sequentially and got higher break resistance results.  While the 16# I was able to just be more consistent and didn't need to take extra time on my looping adjustments.   Again what is strange is that with the test samples, had one orginal FG knot that held through all three trials while the other ones I retied on the same line sequentially kept breaking.  What are the chances of that?  Meaning that one of the FG knot I ties is still potentially have a much higher break strength that my results.  With my knot to swivel, it's consistent that one of the knot break is either one.  I never figure the FG knot to give such a higher break strength yield.  I was never good at tying the FG knot and always forget how to.  I have to reference youtube just to tie it.  That's now often I tie it.  I probably tied more FG knot this week than I have in my entire lifetime, so it feels.  I am going to put the FG knot into my practical use now.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:57 PM »
Sufix 832 Advance Ice Braid 4# .100 mm : FG knot to FG knot on 30# mono

Three trials all knot breaks: 13#7, 12# 1, 12#1

Sufix 832 Advance Braid 10# .200 mm : FG knot to FG knot on 30# mono

Three trials all knot breaks: 15#, 20#, 19# 14

Sufix 832 has always been a long time favorite and was the very first 8 strand braid I've used in small diameter.  I've always felt that this line was a bit stronger than it's box listed# and with this FG knot trail I'm finding that is even more so true.  These knot breaks are getting me closer to the actual line tensile breaking strength.  It's just way to radical to find such high discrepancy in the box listed line strength. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2021, 12:01 AM »
It's been a while since I really have no need for new lines to replace anything as of yet.  By a whim of Black Friday Sales deal I have ordered some newer line, Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line.  I'll be putting it through a strength test in the doldrums before my first ice trip.

I ordered some 6# and 10# listed lines.  The 6# is listed to have a diameter of .14 mm and the 10# is listed to have a diameter of .20 mm.  So it basically follows the same line diameter as 832 Advance Braid.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2021, 11:54 PM »
Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line 6# .14 mm

Knot to knot on small terminal swivels.  Three trials on the same line.

Knot breaks: 9# 4, 9# 9, and 9# 6

FG knot to FG knot: 11# 12 oz.

This line is smooth, very smooth.  When I took a small section, I did my finger pinch and compress a saw that the line weave did unravell.  The knot break strengths are within parameters but compared to other lines, seems like the threshold of line strength is down a little bit.  Perhaps it has something to do with smaller strands as since there is 13 strands in this line compared to a similar diameter of 8 strand lines.

Sufix 832 Ice Braid .10mm 4# knot break 9# 2 oz. (FG knot break 13# 7 oz.) 
Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .13 mm 8# knot break 10# 12 oz.
Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 16# 14 oz.
Diawa J-Braid x8 .06 mm 6# knot break 8# 4 oz. (FG knot break 9# 3 oz.)
Diawa J-Braid x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 13# (FG knot break 17# 12 oz.)
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 .131 mm 14# listed knot break 6# 15 oz. (FG knot break 9# 14 oz.)
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 .153 mm 16# listed knot break 9# 7 oz. (FG knot break 14# 1 oz.)

Still the smoothness of this line is top notch. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2021, 12:41 AM »
Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line 10# .20 mm

Knot to knot on small terminal swivels.  Three trials on the same line.

Knot breaks: 12# 4, 11# 9, and 11# 12

FG knot to FG knot: 17# 13 oz.

Over all I am a bit disappointed in the knot strength of this sample.  I was expecting to get over 15 plus pounds of break force but it snapped too often at below 12 pounds.  From the previous 6# line tests I wasn't expecting to to get over 20# but getting almost 18# of break force is very respectable for the FG knot.  Compared to other 8 strands braids in roughly the same listed line diameter, the G-Core Braid breaks below it's competitors.  I suspect that smaller strands means easier failure tensile strength.

Sufix 832 Braid .20 mm 10/4 knot break 17# 5 oz. (FG knot break 20#)
Diawa J-Braid x8 .19 mm 15# knot break 18#
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 .185 mm 25# listed knot break 14# 13 oz. (FG knot break 18# 14 oz.)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.