Author Topic: Sturgeon through the Ice  (Read 1107 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sturgeon through the Ice
« on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:23 AM »
Our Sturgeon season ended here in MN on Monday.  It was a great year with lots of big fish caught.  It's something that is getting more and more popular every year.  It's not for everyone as it's a lot of staring at bobbers for hours and hours, and a very passive type of fishing, but once you hook into that first giant and do battle with the proper gear,  it's something you will never forget.  Some nights we catch 5-10 and other nights we are lucky to get a bite.    Sturgeon love to roam and I make the analogy of them being like grazing deer in a field with no distinct pattern or consistency.

I've been doing guide trips the past few years and I grabbed a quick video from our trip on Sat.   Fun stuff!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sturgeon through the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:09 AM »
I just found out last week that they had at some point opened up a season on them south of the Red Wing dam.  Looks like it's still open down here, got some crawlers, might go one of the next couple nights but the ice in the channel is getting pretty iffy, is a deep hole adjacent to the current ok? 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:12 AM »
Yes, the season stays open in a few areas such as P4 and St Louis river until mid April 14th (also open until Mid May on the Canadian Border)   There is no magic spot.  Set up and wait...

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:59 AM »
looks like fun!  good footage as always too dtro.  something tells me that wasnt a normal ice rod.  ;D

thanks for sharing 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:31 AM »

Yeah that's an XXH Custom Sturgeon Ice Rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com