The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Big Portage Waterloo  (Read 858 times)

Offline swen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Big Portage Waterloo
« on: Dec 30, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Haven't ice fished in 2 or 3 years, hands can't take it any more! Stopped by Big Portage today at the state launch. Strips of open water out about 150 feet. Saw foot prints go out to within 25 feet of open water and come back, either real brave or stupid. Saw a sign at the dock about Walleye stocking. Went to the DNR stocking report and they have been stocking a lot of Walleye. One year 40,000, but they were only a couple inches, so a lot were probably eaten. A couple of other years they put in some between 7 and 8 inches. But this is good news for the lake. I'm a Muskie guy and can't wait for open water. Good luck on the ice and be safe, no fish is worth it!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
Re: Big Portage Waterloo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:24 PM »
There should be a keeper class of eyes next year for sure and maybe a few before.
:icefish:

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:22 AM »
I caught a 26" walleye once out of big portage years ago while trolling out of my kayak with hot n tots. Tried numerous times and with numerous methods, winter and summer after that without any luck.
Nice to know the plants are still taking place.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline swen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:05 PM »
Yes it is good that they are still stocking, years ago there also was rainbow trout in there!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Yes it is good that they are still stocking, years ago there also was rainbow trout in there!

I remember that, long ago!
:icefish:

Offline swen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Stopped by today and got some entertainment and stupidity . The lake is locked up with about a inch, inch and a half. Four guys with a 12 foot boat and canoe, you can see where this was going!! They had a trolling motor on the 12 foot and kept ramming the ice and the canoe followed them. Watched for about a half hour, they wound up in about 30' to 40' of water. They took life jackets, none were wearing them. Using regular rods & reels, I would imagine they would freeze up fast. I just hope they made it back to shore with nothing happening.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.