The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ice fishing Trip  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing Trip
« on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Me and a buddy want to plan a trip to Michigan second week of January. We have never fished Michigan. Can you tell me some good lakes that will have good ice! Want to catch panfish and walleye,trout. Not at all interested in Pike. We will be coming from Ohio
(We are not Buckeye fans so don’t hold that against us! Lol) Not asking for  fishing spots just decent lakes. We would like to drive to the Northern part and fish are way back to Ohio would rather fish smaller lakes because we will be pulling sleds and on foot.  Thank you in advance.

Offline alpenadiver

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice fishing Trip
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:53 AM »
Depends how far North you go. North East Michigan we have some great inland lakes.
Alcona County, Hubbard Lake, big Perch, and Walleye, and occasional trout
Alpena County Beaver Lake Walleye, Perch. Long Lake Walleye Perch, Bass, Pike.
Presque Isle County, Grand Lake, Walleye Perch, Pike.

We already have 6 solid inches of ice, no snow.
The Navionics phone app will help with finding contours of the lakes.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:52 AM »
Pm me when u come... I will try tp help
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s. We don’t care how far North we have to go. We just want good ice and foot travel manageable lakes. We can bring SxS but prefer not to if we don’t have too. I have Nav. App on phone we also have lakemaster card in depth finder. Thanks again for the info much appericated. Merry Christmas

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Second week of january the saginaw river mighr be froze good by then... Just have to wait and see... Probably .00001 chance of a trout but more walleye then you can shake a jiggin rod at....

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2018, 12:38 PM »
What part of the Saginaw is good for walleye? I'm from Pennsylvania and thinking of making a trip to Michigan this year first time ever in that state so no clue where to go
A watched flag never flies

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2018, 08:08 PM »
If its iced over the whole river holds em....  I like to start at the mouth early on and as the season progresses i like to move upstream.... But the mouth of the river is usually my go to spot... Once February hits ill switch to the zilwaukee bridge xuz its closer to me and fish are everywhere in the river by then

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Ok thank you very much
A watched flag never flies

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Going to head that way Wednesday the 9th after work. How far north do we need to go right now to get on good ice?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Quite a ways.... And foot travel is goi g to be tough because they just got 8-12 inches of wet snow up there... Bring a spud too cuz its been on n off warm

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Yeah i will have a spud bar. Hope to get on some good ice. We are heading out Wednesday night come hell or high water we have to get our ice fix!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:33 PM »
I was on a lake today 5 inches of clear ice and a couple inches of snow.  Temps are going to be in the 40's today and tomorrow with rain forecast for Monday but back in the low 20's by Thursday.  So far the ups and downs of the temps and cycling rain/snow a couple of lakes have maintained pretty well.  I would say it is really going to be hard to tell today how things are going to be Wednesday or Thursday until after the rain event on Monday.  Just my thoughts but I am planning to be on the ice again Friday or Saturday.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:34 PM »

Looks like grayling wont be too affected by the warm up..... If they do get a little rain it will just help melt the 8+ inches of snow they got a week ago

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:58 PM »
I am perfectly fine with 5 inches of ice. How far north are you?

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Like I said before not asking for spots on the lakes. Just asking for foot friendly lakes that have good ice. I don’t want to pull my sled 5 miles. 2 mile pull is about as far as I would like to pull it. Also the distant I am willing to pull my sled goes down as the snow level goes up! Lol

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Im in birch run no safe ice anywhere by me that i know of..... Lakes that i know have good ice at THIS moment.... Houghton cadillac mitchell fletchers pond... Idk about burt and mullett but id imagine they gotta be partially froze... St helen is solid.... Bear lake cub lake manistee lake all in kalkaska county were good as well

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Very little snow on the lakes in this area. It really melted yesterday and today. Fished all afternoon yesterday in just an insulated  shirt

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Thank you DoeSlayer... Scout2 what county are you refering to as not much snow? I take it you have good ice and not much snow?

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:08 AM »
One other topic . To the guys that keep and eat fish are you following the guideline of how many fish to eat because of that chemical they found in the water? I dont keep fish but if i did this would make me think twice about keeping fish. If i read that list correctly you could catch a one day limit of walleye and have your suggested consumption for the year?  I dont see someone that is a fish eater only eating 6 in a year?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Thank you DoeSlayer... Scout2 what county are you refering to as not much snow? I take it you have good ice and not much snow?

Missaukee County and most lakes that I have been on or heard about has at least 6 to 8 inches of ice. I went Fri and was on 14 inches of ice

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:10 AM »
One other topic . To the guys that keep and eat fish are you following the guideline of how many fish to eat because of that chemical they found in the water? I dont keep fish but if i did this would make me think twice about keeping fish. If i read that list correctly you could catch a one day limit of walleye and have your suggested consumption for the year?  I dont see someone that is a fish eater only eating 6 in a year?

Here is my thought on this. How many years have people been eating fish from the lake in Grayling that they now found the chemical in. Yes it is good to know but I got to believe this has been in there for years.

Offline kibbe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Cadillac and Mitchell both have plenty of ice. Truck was on it yesterday...I think too soon for that personally, but plenty of quads out all over both lakes. Probably consistent 8 inches everywhere.

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Yeah agree the chemical has been in there for awhile. The part that would make me nervous is they made this info public so it must be bad enough the state said  hey  fisherman dont eat more than 6 walleyes a year. There is several lakes with this recommendation?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:45 AM »
The pfas have been in the ausable for years and they say to just eat in moderation.... Personally i feel like the fish have gotta be safer than smoking a cig and i smoke a pack a day....

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Yeah agree the chemical has been in there for awhile. The part that would make me nervous is they made this info public so it must be bad enough the state said  hey  fisherman dont eat more than 6 walleyes a year. There is several lakes with this recommendation?
They never tested for it before

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Wife and I just got back from covering many areas north of the 45th parallel from Atlanta to Onaway to Bellaire to Gaylord and there was plenty of activity on the lakes we seen, including Cadillac and Mitchell.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Like I said before not asking for spots on the lakes. Just asking for foot friendly lakes that have good ice. I don’t want to pull my sled 5 miles. 2 mile pull is about as far as I would like to pull it. Also the distant I am willing to pull my sled goes down as the snow level goes up! Lol

I am about an hour north of Grand Rapids 5-6in of ice yesterday, Cadillac is about an hour north of me.  Raining today and 32 deg last I checked but it was supposed to warm up this afternoon to the 40's.  Rest of the week is going to be cold with possible snow flurries but I think ice is going to be fine and am planning on fishing Friday and Saturday.  I will be checking Wednesday and Thursday on my way to work when highs are going to be in the low 20's.

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:47 PM »
Try this again made it at 2am last night.
Long drive from Southeast Ohio. Fished Lake Margrethe Got on the ice around 10 am. 8-9 inches of ice put alot of small perch and 2 keeper eyes on the ice. Felt great to be on the ice.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Very cool! Nice job!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Nightbrown25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Thanks to everyone that gave me information. Had a good trip hope to be back again soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.