Author Topic: Best Method of repairing/patching holes in the sled bottom?  (Read 6753 times)

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suggestion of best method of repairing the bottom of plastic sleds?  I have 2 year old Clam which is usually always on my Smitty - but a small hole worn through the back corner of the sled.  Yes - I'm disappointed because never had any issue with my other sleds which were treated and cared for the same manner - rarely dragged across open pavement - this looks like a thin molding issue.   Suggestions appreciated...
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Method of repairing/patching holes in the sled bottom?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:22 AM »
A piece of plastic and JB Weld is what I would use.

Offline shoeshineman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12:46 PM »
A plastic welder would be my first choice. Relatively common procedure in the kayak fishing scene.

https://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-adjustable-temperature-96464.html

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2018, 05:01 PM »
thank you!
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline jign4koks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:09 PM »
When my old CLAM Scout developed some rub holes on the back edges, I used a soldering iron and some black plastic wire ties to make the repair.  Just melt the sled material and melt/add the wire ties to the sled material.  Continue to work it in and smooth it out.  It worked great and I was even able to drill/bolt on new hi-fax runners through the repaired area and it was as good as original.  I had tried JB Weld before and it didn't last 3 trips before breaking up again.   Probably goes without saying, but make sure you have some ventilation and at least a cheap Dr mask, the melting plastic is pretty nasty.     

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:21 AM »
I'm going through same thing. I have a clam one man thermal. 2 back pieces have holes worn in from dragging.

Aside from that pullover is mint. Kind of disappointed. I take good care of my gear, this hub has been used 2 seasons for a total of maybe 15 to 20 trips. Only time it was cold is the season. Other than that it was stored in a heated basement 8 months out of the year.

Wanna fix to save for my son or sell it. I mean the fabric, poles, windows, seat are all like new.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:25 AM »
I'm going through same thing. I have a clam one man thermal. 2 back pieces have holes worn in from dragging.

Aside from that pullover is mint. Kind of disappointed. I take good care of my gear, this hub has been used 2 seasons for a total of maybe 15 to 20 trips. Only time it was cold is the season. Other than that it was stored in a heated basement 8 months out of the year.

Wanna fix to save for my son or sell it. I mean the fabric, poles, windows, seat are all like new.

Just buy a replacement sled and install the Hyfax runners on it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:00 PM »
The disappointing part is it's a newer sled - my older ones (Frabill 2 man and an old Clam single) never had a problem.  I've treated this one much better than the old ones - and still got a hole.   Still think it's a molding issue and ready to contact Clam about it.  For the very small amount it was dragged and not on the Smitty - it's ridiculous and making me look at Otter for my next 2 man hut.
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:33 AM »

That a backup sled now. I'm debating whether or not to replace sled or patch holes and put hyfax on them
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Flex Seal works depending on how bad the damage is.  Much easier to put some old snow skis on the sled before you ware holes in the bottom.

Offline Moper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Hyfax runners will stop damage from occurring in the first place....Pay now or pay later....?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:06 AM »
You can patch plastic with a heat gun. You need a similar enough plastic, and practice. I have used plastic cross stitch sheets from Walmart to repair plastic ATV fenders. The trick with thin plastic is to get it hot enough to melt together, without turning all goopy and sagging out of place. Go slow, and try the smaller holes first. If you have another old sled, or some piece of plastic you know is the same, that would make good patches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.