Author Topic: CURT GOWDY  (Read 1768 times)

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
CURT GOWDY
« on: Feb 20, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Curt Gowdy passed away today. He was a sports announcer that worked as many sports as anyone ever. The man was a giant in his field. The world has lost a great commentator. Especially here in the east,the man was known as the best in his field. He will be deeply missed.

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: CURT GOWDY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Saw a highlight on tonight's national news.  He called Reggie's home run in Tiger Stadium at the all star game.  1971 maybe?  You are right, he did it all, with class.
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:31 PM »
He was a lot more than an anouncer. During the sixties he hosted one of the original outdoors shows, ABC's Wide World of Sports. He was indeed one of my early influences in learning of hunting and fishing ethics, conservation and loving the outdoors. He did do it all with great shows of sucessful hunts for big game, small game, not to mention all kinds of fishing. We will miss this pioneer to getting hunting and fishing in front of millions of viewers to teach us what having a real life really is. God bless this true american!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:33 PM »
ya... i saw that to  :(
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:45 PM »
first i heard of it he will be missed i enjoyed his shows very much

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:59 PM »
He will definately be missed. I remember him as a kid on some outdoor shows. I think if my memory serves me right I think he loved fly fishing. I also think he was on the "American sportsman" show also. He also was a great baseball broadcaster as somebody already said. America has lost a great legend for sure.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:13 PM »
I loved that show "The American Sportsman." That was back when you could show an animal killed on network TV compared to now when people would complain about it.

He had such a distinctive voice that just made you feel at home and excited to be watching the show. In many ways that show was better than some we have now on cable TV.

And yes he gave the outdoor experience class and ethics on that show.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I remember my dad watching him while I was young.
Really strange thinking about that..

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Sad indeed!  Rest in Peace Curt...

I had been very fortunate to meet Mr. Gowdy when I was 9 years old.  I was fishing in a kids "Walleye Weekend" derby in Fond du Lac Wisconsin's Lakeside park when Mr. Gowdy and his anterage were trolling the grounds walking behind me.  Unannounced to me, I let loose with my new Zebco 202 and snagged Curt right in the rim of his cowboy hat!  He laughed and asked me, "If you like my hat, just ask for it!"  I turned to see "who" I'd just snagged?  It was him, Curt Gowdy!  Growing up an avid football fan, I'd listened to him announce games with an unmistakable accent and colorful stance, all I could say at that ripe old age of 9 (or so) was, "WOW, Your Curt Gowdy!"  He talked to myself and my fishing partner then signed an autograph for me.  I'll never forget that moment, and his love for the sport year later.  He didn't get upset, nor did he give me any grief, (which I'd expected.)  He just gave me some pointers and pressed on laughing...  Guess the importance to my ramble would be that we may never remember "who" we encouraged to become a sportsman in our life.  All that's important is that we were successful in our teachings and had a ton of patients along the way.  We all have the ability to insure the survival of our beloved sport through our youth....  R.I.P. Curt!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline abbeys shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:14 AM »
R.I.P. Curt :(  As an avid sportsman, I will surly miss watching all the great stuff Curt did. 
Whats cooler than cool??  ICE COLD!!!

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:02 AM »
so do you still have his autograph barleydog?
Sad indeed!  Rest in Peace Curt...

I had been very fortunate to meet Mr. Gowdy when I was 9 years old.  I was fishing in a kids "Walleye Weekend" derby in Fond du Lac Wisconsin's Lakeside park when Mr. Gowdy and his anterage were trolling the grounds walking behind me.  Unannounced to me, I let loose with my new Zebco 202 and snagged Curt right in the rim of his cowboy hat!  He laughed and asked me, "If you like my hat, just ask for it!"  I turned to see "who" I'd just snagged?  It was him, Curt Gowdy!  Growing up an avid football fan, I'd listened to him announce games with an unmistakable accent and colorful stance, all I could say at that ripe old age of 9 (or so) was, "WOW, Your Curt Gowdy!"  He talked to myself and my fishing partner then signed an autograph for me.  I'll never forget that moment, and his love for the sport year later.  He didn't get upset, nor did he give me any grief, (which I'd expected.)  He just gave me some pointers and pressed on laughing...  Guess the importance to my ramble would be that we may never remember "who" we encouraged to become a sportsman in our life.  All that's important is that we were successful in our teachings and had a ton of patients along the way.  We all have the ability to insure the survival of our beloved sport through our youth....  R.I.P. Curt!

Offline 9fingers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You try tying a knot with 9Fingers!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:08 AM »
For those of us in the 50 something age range it is sad to say the voice of sports has been silenced.  :(
"The problem with the rest of the world is..their a few drinks behind" Humphrey Bogart

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:56 AM »
He was a real pro and will be missed.
FTD

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:33 PM »
All Hail Curt!!! God Bless. C-ya in the "UPPER" outdoors in the future. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:29 PM »
He called football and baseball games correct?
Think I remember watching a game when I was younger, can't remeber
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:08 PM »
Adipose,  That and an article in the local paper.  Cool stuff as a kid eh! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Being a  Wyoming native and in my 50's Curt is a legend in Wyoming. We didn't have much except Yellowstone to make anyone notice Wyoming  but Curt was our ambassador, and a darn good one. I fish in Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming when ever I can. Caught some nice trout ice fishing. His son produces some outdooor shows,have seen a few with Curt trout fishing with his baseball friends. Loved the caricture of his voice. Miss ya Curt!! afishingfool

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:04 AM »
Man Kurt was awesome thats aweful.  Lost a bunch of good souls in the last decade or so.  Fred Bear, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra etc. all great folks in what they did and who they were they will be missed. :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.