Author Topic: Broiling fish  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Broiling fish
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:52 PM »
I'm sure some people have done this but I'm going to ask since I don't have any personal experience with it.  Has anyone broiled pan fish or bass and are there any tricks or tips you'd suggest.  I was thinking of trying this by just putting the fish on a pan or in tin foil with a little butter (so it doesn't stick) and some paprika.  Normally I make them with breading and fry them but I'm getting a little tired of doing it that way.  One other thing I'd like to try is making them in a scampi sauce but I don't have a good recipe, anyone have a really good one they're willing to share?

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Broiling fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 05:09 AM »
Try a bit of lemon pepper seasoning on them after basting the fillets with a bit of melted butter. Salt to taste.

Offline jiginit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • That's my story and stickin to it
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Very Good Scampi 13:48

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Do it all the time.  If your using frozen fish make sure to thaw and pat fillets dry.  I use a baking dish with butter and sprinkle some sea salt on before cooking.  Save the butter  and dip the fork loaded with fish into the butter.  I only use unsalted butter.  I still like a fried fish dinner but the wife doesn't like the smell in the house, I still fry gills and small crappie and perch.  The larger ones get broiled along with walleyes. 

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:58 PM »
keep it simple.  Salt,pepper, lemon, butter......don't over cook it.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:06 PM »
I've been broiling salmon. I filet them, leave the skin on, cover a baking sheet with tin foil, set the fish on foil skin side down. Broil til the edges start to get crisp, ~ 10 min depending on size of fish. When done I slide a spatula between the meat and the skin sticks to the foil if I'm successful. It saves me from having to scale the fish, I'm kinda lazy that way.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Alex, that's a pretty cool tip.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:21 AM »
I've broiled a variety of lake and river species. Most taste a lot better pan fried in bread crumbs and butter, but perch, walleye, crappie  and pike can work broiled as well. Cook in silver foil after adding some butter, spices, and optional wedges or sliced lemon, onion, or garlic. Bass and sunfish are really a waste to broil in my opinion, if you're eating those, stick to pan frying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.