The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Van Everest  (Read 5431 times)

Offline DENNYS

• IceShanty Rookie
Van Everest
« on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:58 AM »
A shoutout to anyone that’s had any good catches of yellow belly’s
Haven’t been there yet ,just wondering if anyone has been catching any.
Like to bring my wife this weekend .any info. Would be appreciated.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Van Everest
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Have had pretty good luck there last 2 weeks or so. I usually keep only the ones in the 8" range. Have not got into the yellow belly's yet.  But they should start moving in soon.  Have had better luck out by papasquash island on maquam shore  ;)

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Dennys- message me your email and I can give you a few waypoints of good places to start if youd like..

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2019, 03:12 PM »
just back from van everest .nice day lots of sun. never seen so many cars / people out looked like tent city :) did pretty good.  First for me today got a salmon in about 18 feet of water on a bibit and eye. just off the bottom ???

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2019, 05:42 PM »
That's cool stick eyes! Ive always wondered if they roamed around there.. They must've been a rush on perch gear!

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:21 PM »
tried some pm fishing at van everest .. very nice afternoon but same old story  lots of fish...not many in the 8" range ..lots of people driving out .plenty of ice. but the ramp is a little challenging . tried 18'  35' and 45'...about the same results.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02:35 PM »
just back from van everest..surprised at the number of people out. nice day but not a lot of 8" perch. got enough for dinner.  going to try around burton island tomorrow . lots of ice, around 2 ' at 40 feet of water.

Offline skeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 03:41 PM »
We were out near Pop Squash today, bite was very slow and not much size to them. Absolutely beautiful day though.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:00 PM »
Skeet, i was thinking i should have gone there ...guess it was just a slow day.  did you go out past the island ?

Offline skeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Just past the island and about 75 yards to the left as you face it.  We were in about 20 FOW. We crushed them there a couple of weeks ago

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:07 PM »
What is van Everest exactly? And how do I get there. I know it’s by St. Albans but not sure really.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08:45 PM »
it's a VT state fishing access area in milton just south of the georgia line. nice area for getting onto the lake. always knew of it as the georgia shore road.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2019, 02:46 PM »
just back from van everest. nice day but strong south wind. tried a few different spots but could not find 8" perch. lots of dinks. good news is tomorrow sounds like a nice day. the ramp is in good shape to drive on. looks like a road all the way to the bay packed down.  hope every one has a good weekend

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:14 PM »
just back from van everest. nice day but strong south wind. tried a few different spots but could not find 8" perch. lots of dinks. good news is tomorrow sounds like a nice day. the ramp is in good shape to drive on. looks like a road all the way to the bay packed down.  hope every one has a good weekend

I picked up bait at Bibens got on the ice at Mallets, drove all the way to south sandbar, crosses the road, got back on the ice at the state park and got off the ice at Van Everest, all the pressure cracks from here to there don’t impede and safely can go around them all. If I’d have had time, I’dve tried drive over to Georgia rec park to see if can get around to there too...heard there’s no cracks in between to be concerned with.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Mudchuck- your crazy! That's a hell of a trek..

Brought my father and brother out today.. Not much luck, but everyone we caught was a solid keeper which is nice.. They'd just come in small flurries and then vanish as quickly as they came.. I noticed a lot of people are venturing further south down near eagle mountain.. They catching perch down there or targeting browns?

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2019, 04:13 PM »
I picked up bait at Bibens got on the ice at Mallets, drove all the way to south sandbar, crosses the road, got back on the ice at the state park and got off the ice at Van Everest, all the pressure cracks from here to there don’t impede and safely can go around them all. If I’d have had time, I’dve tried drive over to Georgia rec park to see if can get around to there too...heard there’s no cracks in between to be concerned with.
Wow that is quite a trip. It was a beautiful day out there and I put about 15 miles on my wheeler on the other side of the inland sea.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:01 PM »
hoping to get out tomorrow morning if the wind they are forecasting holds off.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Mudchuck- your crazy! That's a hell of a trek..

Brought my father and brother out today.. Not much luck, but everyone we caught was a solid keeper which is nice.. They'd just come in small flurries and then vanish as quickly as they came.. I noticed a lot of people are venturing further south down near eagle mountain.. They catching perch down there or targeting browns?

Bucket list.
One ride per customer...
We don’t usually get this kind of ice season, so took advantage of the situation since probably won’t have that kind of experience again anytime soon.
Should see the amount of vehicles on Campbell, must’ve been over 100 out there today, even thicker ice up there.

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:40 PM »
From the Alburg launch to Campbell’s was crazy when I went across the bridge at 1 ish. Hundreds of people.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:18 PM »
back from Var Everest. Nice day , a good wind but the sun is warm. Went to north of ramp ..18'  then 25 then 35. slow on the perch bite but did keep about 12 nice ones 8" plus. The best part of the day was hooked my second salmon of the season, first was  back in mid feb.  In the same area...35'. got him up to the hole but he ran the line near the bottom of the ice and was gone. I'm only using a small bibit and eye. Still a lot of fun, but we all know that feeling of what could have been. felt like a good one.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2019, 04:57 PM »
back from Var Everest. Nice day , a good wind but the sun is warm. Went to north of ramp ..18'  then 25 then 35. slow on the perch bite but did keep about 12 nice ones 8" plus. The best part of the day was hooked my second salmon of the season, first was  back in mid feb.  In the same area...35'. got him up to the hole but he ran the line near the bottom of the ice and was gone. I'm only using a small bibit and eye. Still a lot of fun, but we all know that feeling of what could have been. felt like a good one.

Nice report!
How is the launch ramp holding up?

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Ramp condition is still good. going back tomorrow AM. did not drive on today but others did. I just felt like walking...conditions are good for that . Driving on tomorrow so i can move around a little more. Great time of season to fish.  ;D

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:30 AM »
Nice stick eyes! Another salmon! Good luck today..

We are heading out as well.. Fishing just south of the launch.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:20 AM »
I'm hoping to get back out there after work this afternoon

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Nice day on the ice..left the ramp and headed north . first stop  not too far from ramp..25'  next out by the little white light house. got my best perch of the season there . 11 inches . put it back..next by the ledges in front of the red camp  by the bend on georgia shore road. got a few good ones. last stop near the pressure crack running from the shore towards bald . did not try to cross. might be able to drive around it out closer to the island.  back out tomorrow ..50 degrees and driving on the ice...don't get no better than that @)

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Decent day today.. Not numbers wise bit the size was good.. Biggest was 11.5 inches and we had 2 or 3 more over 11 as well.. Caught about 100 between the three of us.. Took 18 home to,fill a ziploc bag for the freezer!

Headed to jamaica for a family vaca tomorrow. Hopefully the ice is still good when I get back! Don't catch em all fellas!

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Decent day today.. Not numbers wise bit the size was good.. Biggest was 11.5 inches and we had 2 or 3 more over 11 as well.. Caught about 100 between the three of us.. Took 18 home to,fill a ziploc bag for the freezer!

Headed to jamaica for a family vaca tomorrow. Hopefully the ice is still good when I get back! Don't catch em all fellas!
Jamaica is a fun place. Lots of ice there but it goes in the glass....LOL
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Jamaica is a fun place. Lots of ice there but it goes in the glass....LOL

That's the only ice I'm hoping to see for a few days!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:32 PM »
I got out after work and on the ice around 4ish, headed towards eagle mountain, 1st crack no issues getting around it, 2nd crack near eagle is looking sketchy but still able to get around it, but looks like open water in it now and some ice is caved at the very end of it, couple guys fishing near that crack and another guy in a truck came and went from over towards sandbar park way. I set up at the creek in 25’ and put out half dozen tipups with hunts on them and jigged another hole.
Watched a very large yellow just under the ice inhale a hunt in the 1st tipups I was setting up but it was too big for it to swallow and spit it out.
2 wind flags and about a dozen jigged up medium yellows was all I got and packed up then left around 6:30, all others gone and the wind had picked up and snow starting to fly...didn’t want to be out there solo in low vis after dark with that one crack looking sketchy...still plenty thick ice and ramp is good but the small crack near shore at the ramp is a little wider about 9” and might open up with it getting warmer.
I’d be concerned about the big crack near eagle becoming unpassable with this warm weather coming too.
Also, pair of eagles hanging around near sunset, was neat seeing them and one was hangin by the large crack and looked like it was eating a fish.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:33 PM »
did not get out down there today as planned. will be out tomorrow but don't think i'll be driving out...the cracks are starting to worry me. lots of ice but got to get on. walking is a good thing . ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.