The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Warm weather coming  (Read 1098 times)

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
Warm weather coming
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:42 AM »
How much ice will this warm weather cost us?   I'm especially worried about the rain on Saturday. 

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Warm weather coming
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I'm not worried at all.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:52 AM »
only going to be brief, if anything its gonna help, smooth the ice back out put a little water on top then freez up and give us some more ice!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:12 AM »
only going to be brief, if anything its gonna help, smooth the ice back out put a little water on top then freez up and give us some more ice!

+1

Offline DunmoreFAn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:20 AM »
I have seen flood warning for some area's because the rain is supposed to be very heavy at times.... lets hope that's not the case....what do i can i cant fish for about 2 months....stupid knee surgery!
Fishin Ain't easy but it's better than work

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I have seen flood warning for some area's because the rain is supposed to be very heavy at times.... lets hope that's not the case....what do i can i cant fish for about 2 months....stupid knee surgery!
We took a friend fishing one week after ACL and MCL surgery... Dragged him around in a jet sled and he had a blast. Luckily it was all glare ice so nobody threw out their back! 

Offline DunmoreFAn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:30 AM »
offers have been made and i may take them offers up! as long as i got a shanty to sit in with room to stretch im good!
Fishin Ain't easy but it's better than work

Offline TheMadTrouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Leave your city ideas out of my country life" -Me
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:35 AM »
got 8 plus inches of goooood ice where i am at. no worries for me, if it is'nt raining i am going to be out with a lawn chair...
Ice, Beer, Tip-ups...can it get any better? Oh yeah... My wife stayed home :)

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:30 PM »
How much ice will this warm weather cost us?   I'm especially worried about the rain on Saturday.
An inch of rain beats 12" of snow! No worries here.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline nateicefisherman1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:16 PM »
I would much rather have rain then snow. Walking across glare ice is much easier then a foot or so of snow. Wont lose much ice this coming week with the warm temps. Just got to watch out around inlets and outlets or anywhere else there is current.

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I think the runoff will affect fishing more than the loss of ice. some areas such as missisqoui bay will be out of commission for a while.

Offline TheMadTrouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Leave your city ideas out of my country life" -Me
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:32 PM »
yes I agree, I believe the run off into all the lakes is going to effect the fishing more so then the rain or warm weather.
Ice, Beer, Tip-ups...can it get any better? Oh yeah... My wife stayed home :)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:45 AM »
The white perch follow the turbid water from all the runoff.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:01 AM »

Smelty!  It sure will provide more ice BUT!  I don't need it to be any smoother?? :o  Even with my pointed hiking pole and creepers I nearly fell down perch fishing yesterday ::) ::)
Dick

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:00 PM »
 >:( Yanked our shanty off the ice (inland sea side) at noon today, had it out for a week now with decent success. 10 inches of good ice, will see what's left after this warm spell!!!!!!!
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline Prettyboy87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:04 PM »
tip for ya dick, used to use yak tracks but got tired of still slippin and breaking them. just got a new pair of hillsound. there great. 11 lg picks on bottom w\ chain, plus there hinged for easier walkin. check em out.

Offline Quackslapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:28 PM »
The only thing I'd be looking for would be a fresh hole that enlarged enough to twist an ankle in... Shouldn't lose much ice in the short term and hopefully it will tighten up again Sunday night...  Supposed to be mid 30's late Saturday/  early sunday... Shouldn't melt too much...

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:51 PM »
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN CREEPERS,,,, take your warmest ice fishing boots and fill them full of screws.Don't over due it. 10 or so screws is plenty..I use 1/4" hex head screws that are 1/2 " long that I bought from a snowmobile shop.  they are made for use in snowmobile tracks. Make sure your boots have thick enough soles so the screws don't puncture the boot.the screws are hardened so they last a long time.the only drawback is you can wear them only on the ice,so I wear something else to drive to the lake and then put these on when I get there,,,the best part is they add no weight to your boots and they never slip off.the drawback is they scratch the floor real bad.the boots I used are Cabelas trans alasksa III , and Muck arctic pro, both worked fine with no leaking but the trans alaskas are the warmest

Offline Vthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:33 PM »
There was 2-3 " puddles all over marshfield dam today and to guys out fishing in the rain...

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:01 AM »
i talked with the guy at dockside yesterday morning on my way to the lake, and he says there hitting white perch at cowbanks
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.